Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #1
janviet
janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Where can I buy an InkPad 3?

Hi All,

I'm based in the USA and am looking for a reliable retailer to purchase an InkPad 3. I've tried goodereader.com, but it quickly turned very unprofessional and I will never deal with them again.

I would appreciate a recommendation.

Thanks for your help,

Jan
janviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
pondscum
Enthusiast
pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
I have a French "Tea"-branded InkPad 3 on its way from decitre.fr.

https://www.decitre.fr/ebook/liseuses

It's listed at 199,99 € but IIUC that includes VAT which is subtracted for orders outside the EU. In any case the total with shipping to the US came to 180,75 € or about $210 (it went on my regular credit card). Expect 7-10 days for delivery, I guess.
pondscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
janviet
janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.janviet can teach chickens to fly.

Great. Thanks for the tip! I tried a few retailers in Germany (German is much easier for me than French) but none of them ship abroad. I will definitely give Decitre a try.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:31 PM   #4
pondscum
Enthusiast
pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.

Yup, I ran into the same problem when I looked at ordering from Germany. The Decitre store is set up much like any other e-commerce site so I didn't have too much trouble filling out the order forms in spite of my lousy/rusty French.

BTW my order is scheduled to arrive Monday. I may have more to say about the InkPad once it's here.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:17 PM   #5
janviet

I just ordered from Decitre. Still €180.75 including shipping with FedEx ($206.45 on my credit card). Pretty good deal. Thanks again for the tip!
Advert
Old 01-28-2019, 03:49 PM   #6
pondscum
Enthusiast

My InkPad arrived right on schedule this morning. It was already fully charged when I took it out of the box, so I've been fiddling with the settings a bit and loaded some books onto it (the latest version of Calibre recognizes the device) to experiment with the library navigation, but haven't done any serious reading yet.

The included manual is in French. Here's an English one I found online:

http://support.pocketbook-int.com/fw...nkPad_3_EN.pdf
Old 01-29-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
Richard1
Richard1 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 2
You could order it easily from the german amazon store. Postage will be higher, but it's a lightweight parcel. Amazon.de
Richard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #8
pondscum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1 View Post
You could order it easily from the german amazon store. Postage will be higher, but it's a lightweight parcel. Amazon.de
Nope. It says in bright red text "This item does not ship to the United States". Ditto for Amazon.fr and Amazon.co.uk (which I also tried).
Old 01-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
Richard1

Okey - bad news; but easy to solve:
Then I would make forwardshipment. I'm often doing this from germany to austria; because many articles are not shipped to my country (and usually it's a cheaper shipment rate ).
But mine is not servicing the US, so I looked it up with startpage.com and found: https://www.mailboxde.com/

Step1: After setting up the mailbox you will immediately receive a delivery address in Germany for FREE, which will be sent to you via email.

Step2: If you are going to order goods from Germany, fill in the address of your mailbox. Once the delivery arrives, we will send you an e-mail on the same day.

Step3: Select the type of delivery and pay by PayPal
or by bank transfer.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:51 PM   #10
janviet

Thanks, but I think ordering from Decitre in France is easier, and more cost effective. They only charge €14.09 for shipping to the USA (using FedEx), and they charge the cost of the Inkpad 3 without VAT (as they should for a shipment to a destination outside the EU). Finally, their price for an Inkpad 3 is quite competitive at only €166.66 excluding VAT (€199.99 including VAT).

Using your method, you would have to jump through hoops to get the VAT back, if that's possible at all.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #11
Richard1

Should work. The InkPad is officialy from tea (branded) in france, but I guess 'cause it's the PocketBook InkPad 3 inside you will hopefully be able to upload the new firmware and the rest from PB.
The price is great!

Downloads by PB:
https://www.pocketbook-int.com/de/su...tbook-inkpad-3
Old 01-31-2019, 11:49 PM   #12
pondscum
Enthusiast

I've been looking into the firmware update. There is not a newer version of the Tea firmware than what came pre-installed (T740.5.17.1680) although there are newer versions available from Pocketbook. Pocketbook doesn't support putting the Pocketbook firmware on Tea-branded hardware, but according to this thread (for a different Pocketbook model)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231431

the difference is that the Tea firmware points you at the bookstore you bought the reader from, e.g. decitre.fr in my case. Since I'm not likely to ever use that, I might try updating to the Pocketbook firmware anyway at some point if there is no official Tea firmware update meanwhile, but I can't say that I've run into any horrible bugs yet that make me want to rush to do that. OTOH, all I've been doing with the device so far is side-loading EPUBs from Calibre and reading them.

BTW, one odd thing I found by trial and error: it appears that it only goes into USB drive mode when you have a book open. If I plug it in when it's at the home screen, it goes into battery-charging mode instead even if I've selected the setup option to always go into USB drive mode.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:41 AM   #13
Richard1

Thanks for the informations. I told a friend about the InkPad 3 clone: So he is thinking about to buy the tea-InkPad 3; 'cause of the better price. But before he should ask PB if he would be able to install their firmware.
Bugs like you described I had before with my Ultra; but after the 3. Update everything was fine.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #14
pondscum
Enthusiast

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the device. Me, I've previously been using an old 4th-generation Kindle, and just wanted to update to something with a better screen and frontlight that wasn't locked into Amazon's proprietary cloud for collection management the way the newer Kindle models are. So far I'm happy with the reading experience on the InkPad. The screen is very crisp, the frontlight is easy to adjust, etc. I did think all the preinstalled serif fonts were a little too light to read comfortably, and was pleased that installing additional fonts "just worked" (copy the .otf/.ttf files to system/fonts is all that's required). So for my purposes it's working well even without the latest firmware updates.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #15
Richard1

Thanks for the info about installing new fonts. Should also work on my Touch HD 2.

I just stumbled over a Canadian store; based in Vancouver, B.C. (interesting maybe for others based in Canada and the US) and they also sell the PocketBook InkPad 3:
https://goodereader.com/blog/product...tbook-inkpad-3

But you got a better deal witg tea; 'cause goodreader asks US$ 240.-

And I agree, never change anything, when it's working fine. My PB Ultra was only updated 3 times; then it worked and I never made the following updates.

My HD 2 updated after the first usage and is perfect. The best is the adjustable light (orange/yellow) for reading at night. And I will never update him again; as long as everthing is working so good. Was an improvement compared to my former PB Ultra from 2014.

Last edited by Richard1; 02-01-2019 at 12:47 PM.