Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2015, 01:37 AM   #1
Geared
Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Kobo Glo HD

Kobo Glo HD

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...eader/23009885
https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...-Case/23009886
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-Glo-HD-eReader-17428169-5.jpeg
Views:	2049
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	136806   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-Glo-HD-eReader-17428171-5.jpeg
Views:	1554
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	136808   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-Glo-HD-Sleep-Cover-Case-17428190-5.jpeg
Views:	2042
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	136818   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-Glo-HD-Sleep-Cover-Case-17428191-5.jpeg
Views:	2870
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	136819   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-Glo-HD-Sleep-Cover-Case-17428192-5.jpeg
Views:	2148
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	136820  

Last edited by Geared; 04-13-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Geared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:50 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Looks like it's using the same screen as the Kindle Voyage

Quote:
Specs…

6” Carta E Ink HD touchscreen
1448×1072 resolution
300 ppi
Built in ComfortLight
Battery life of up to 2 months
4 GB on-board memory
Kobo Reading Life™ user experience, customizable with features like TypeGenius
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2015, 03:17 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That looks good. A higher resolution screen in the same size as the Glo. And with that name, it makes me wonder if the Glo will be kept but the Aura will disappear.

The price is interesting. The site has the Glo HD at $219, Aura at $279 but on sale at $249 and the H2O at $299. Those are NZ prices. Here, the H2O is $229 and the Aura $189 but I have seen it for $159. And the last time I saw a Glo, it was $159. Those suggests the Glo HD would be roughly the same price as the Glo here. That would be good. And far too tempting
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:19 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Looks good to me, I'm glad they've gone with a recessed screen, hopefully that means IR touch too.

My only worry: I can't see any sign of an external SD slot.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:53 AM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The price is interesting. The site has the Glo HD at $219, Aura at $279 but on sale at $249 and the H2O at $299. Those are NZ prices. Here, the H2O is $229 and the Aura $189 but I have seen it for $159. And the last time I saw a Glo, it was $159. Those suggests the Glo HD would be roughly the same price as the Glo here. That would be good. And far too tempting
I think that site has the Aura mixed up with the Aura HD: Normal Aura price here is $199, it is the Aura HD that has recently been reduced to $249.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2015, 05:57 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I think that site has the Aura mixed up with the Aura HD: Normal Aura price here is $199, it is the Aura HD that has recently been reduced to $249.
That makes some sense. But, the difference in price between the Aura and the Aura H2O is a lot more than here. But based on the differences, it would probably put the Glo HD $199 here.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:30 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Oh good timing, mother in law is going home at the end of the month! No word on US pricing yet.

That case looks super weird....I wish the device dimensions were posted so I could see if I have a case that will fit!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #8
PO40600
Enthusiast
PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note II & Note Pro 12.2, PocketBook Touch Lux, PB Touch,Odysse
I hope that the reader's designers won't follow the same way as the smartphones designers, with ridiculous inflation of screen resolution. For example, 2560 x 1600 on 5,7" screen inches.

Such resolutions (on smartphones) are quite ridiculous, and causes dramatic drops of autonomy .
PO40600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've tried searching in the FCC database for this device and can't find it. Maybe someone with more tricks than me might have some luck. (I'm assuming that the device has an ID that contains N437 from the SKU N437-KU-BK-K-EP).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #10
jsonora
jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle PW1/PW2/Voyage, Kobo Glo/Aura
Kobo Glo HD (Model N437) FCC ID: NOIKBN437

http://download.kobobooks.com/magent..._safety_jp.pdf
(japanese)
jsonora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:07 AM   #11
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
The Glo HD was created to complete against the Kindle Voyage.

The Glo HD specs are better than its current Kobo line-up.

Glo HD Specs:
6” Carta E Ink HD touchscreen
1448×1072 resolution, 300 dpi

Aura H2O Specs:
Extra-large 6.8” Carta E Ink HD touchscreen
1430 x 1080, 265 dpi

Aura HD Specs:
6.8" Pearl E Ink Screen ClarityScreen
1440 x 1080, 265 dpi

Aura Specs:
6" High-res Pearl E Ink ClarityScreen with low-flash waveform;
1024 x 758, 16 level grey scale

Glo Specs:
6" XGA Pearl E Ink touchscreen
1024x768 resolution, 16-level grey scale
-------------------------------------------------
Kindle Voyage Specs:
6" display with Carta e-paper technology
1430 x 1080, 300 dpi
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Very nice! Amazon has just been outdone once again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Very nice! Amazon has just been outdone once again.
It's too soon to say that. Unless you are talking about the ability to add fonts and change margins that every Kobo has.

I can't wait to compare the Glo HD to the Voyage.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
It's too soon to say that. Unless you are talking about the ability to add fonts and change margins that every Kobo has.

I can't wait to compare the Glo HD to the Voyage.
I have three ereaders and a HDX so I don't need a new ereader but I'll be following this to see how it performs against the voyage.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I love the screen, the text sharpness, the lighting, of the Voyage very much, but love everything else about the Kobo much more, so I have been waiting for this one. I keep checking the Chapters site, not there yet.