Notices

Old 12-29-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
nikev
Connoisseur
nikev began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Kobo h2o won't wake from sleep

Hi,

My H20 was working fine last night, but this morning it won't wake from sleep.

The screen just shows the single word "sleeping" in the bottom left corner.

Paper clip reset does nothing. Holding Power key does nothing. I also tried to hold the power key and tap the two bottom corners of the screen, but that does not do anything either.

I have tried to plug in to a wall charger for a few hours, but it doesn't help.

Any suggestions? Or just call Kobo support and hope they step up?

Thanks in advance.

Nike
nikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I would try charging overnight and then plug it into your PC.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I'd try a different charger first off. Are their any areas on the screen that have at all or have diagonal lines?
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
nikev
Connoisseur
nikev began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I'd try a different charger first off. Are their any areas on the screen that have at all or have diagonal lines?
It seems to have come back to life, grace of a different cable. It seems not to charge reliably with the cable I had been using.

But I don't understand why the battery would drain so totally overnight. The battery was nowhere close to empty when I stopped reading.
nikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:23 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikev View Post
It seems to have come back to life, grace of a different cable. It seems not to charge reliably with the cable I had been using.
That seems to be fairly common. A lot of the "won't start" seem to get fixed by changing the charger/cable and leaving it to charge a bit longer.
Quote:
But I don't understand why the battery would drain so totally overnight. The battery was nowhere close to empty when I stopped reading.
Something probably happened that it didn't go to sleep and stayed active. Or, if you have the automatic sync overnight, it might have had network troubles and never stopped. That's a big power drain.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe it back charged with the screwy cable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:41 AM   #7
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I've had a bad cable actually cause the battery to be drained instead of charging it. Not quite sure how that works but...
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:44 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I've had a bad cable actually cause the battery to be drained instead of charging it. Not quite sure how that works but...
It's called back draining. The most common occurrence is charging something using a laptop USB and the laptop goes to sleep and the charging switches directions and the battery drains. This is why new laptops these days have one port that can be set not to turn off when charging when the laptop goes to sleep.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:50 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's called back draining. The most common occurrence is charging something using a laptop USB and the laptop goes to sleep and the charging switches directions and the battery drains.
The only way that is going to happen is if the laptop and the device connected are faulty. Can you point to examples of this happening?
Quote:
This is why new laptops these days have one port that can be set not to turn off when charging when the laptop goes to sleep.
No, that is to enable devices to be charged or keep running when the laptop is sleeping.

The problem compurandom is reporting is most likely caused by a faulty cable with a short in it. There's a good chance that leaving the cable plugged into the device but not into a laptop or charger would have drained the battery as well.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The only way that is going to happen is if the laptop and the device connected are faulty. Can you point to examples of this happening?
I had a 500 back charge once when it was connected to a laptop to charge and the laptop went to sleep. There was nothing wrong with the laptop, the 500, or the cable. It was because of the laptop going to sleep.

[quite]No, that is to enable devices to be charged or keep running when the laptop is sleeping.[/quote]

It also prevents back charging. Maybe newer devices have circuitry to prevent back charging. I don't know as I've never looked into it.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:27 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I had a 500 back charge once when it was connected to a laptop to charge and the laptop went to sleep. There was nothing wrong with the laptop, the 500, or the cable. It was because of the laptop going to sleep.
Exactly how do you know that was what was happening? Saying the battery in the 500 went flat doesn't prove anything. I think it is more likely that the device still saw a connection and didn't go to sleep. Or, that the connection was partial in some way that the device kept trying to connect to the PC.

Of course, without the device, laptop cable and some extra electronics, I can't prove my theory.
Quote:
[quite]No, that is to enable devices to be charged or keep running when the laptop is sleeping.
It also prevents back charging. Maybe newer devices have circuitry to prevent back charging. I don't know as I've never looked into it.[/QUOTE]

You said "one port". So, it only works if the device is left plugged into that port? And recent? I have a laptop from 2008 that with one port like this. And based on buying three laptops last year, I think it's actually dropping off as a function. Unless it's so common that it isn't listed as a feature.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You said "one port". So, it only works if the device is left plugged into that port? And recent? I have a laptop from 2008 that with one port like this. And based on buying three laptops last year, I think it's actually dropping off as a function. Unless it's so common that it isn't listed as a feature.
I used to be using a Toshiba laptop from (I think) 2013 and that laptop had one port designated as a sleep and charge port. You had to configure it.

The laptop I have now which was bought in 2015 has sleep and charge. I believe it's automatic so if something is charging and the laptop goes to sleep, it still charges.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #13
Caine
Caine doesn't litterCaine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikev View Post
I had a similar "problem" with my H2O a couple months back. Battery was at least half full when I went to sleep and on the next day it just didn't react to anything. My device started responding again as soon as I connected it to a wall socket. I disconnected it after like five minutes and it did the most amazing thing: It showed my battery to be half full – the exact same percentage it was the night before!

I chose to reboot my H2O but nothing changed, same percentage as before. I used up all the juice without charging the battery but it hasn't happened since. No, I don't remember the firmware I was using at that time.

It was definitely weird and I only remembered because your issue seemed eerily similar at first.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I used to be using a Toshiba laptop from (I think) 2013 and that laptop had one port designated as a sleep and charge port. You had to configure it.

The laptop I have now which was bought in 2015 has sleep and charge. I believe it's automatic so if something is charging and the laptop goes to sleep, it still charges.
You know, I think we have been talking about different things, or using the wrong term. Do you actually mean "hibernation" rather than "sleep"? I'm pretty sure that USB ports have never been turned off during sleep as that's the only way a device such as a mouse or keyboard can wake the computer. The drivers for a lot of the devices will have a power management option to allow the computer to turn the device off. But, that can be because of inactivity, not just when the computer goes to sleep.

Charging while in hibernation mode or is laptop is off is different and is what I was thinking of. This has tended to be only one port and is configurable in the BIOS or a utility supplied by the manufacturer. This was always promoted as a convenience so that people didn't need to leave the laptop on when charging their devices.