Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
splat
Zealot
splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Local root exploit in Calibre

For anyone who takes system security seriously please be aware of a local root exploit for current version of calibre

Proof of concept exploit:
http://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/18071/

Details
https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/885027
splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Looking over the links, this security hole seems to be related to Linux distros.

I've looked over the posts and not sure if this is a meaningful security exploit or not .... meaningful as in the sense that you're likely to have a bad outcome. Some of the chatter on the internet related to this don't even seen to know what Calibre is for.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That exploit is relevant only on a multi-user linux/bsd system. It's a privilege escalation exploit, i.e. it allows a non-root user to become root.
This has actual bad effects (in terms of access to user data) only on a system with more than one non root user, which does not include the vast majority of desktop/laptops.

Furthermore, the exploit will be closed in the next calibre release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
splat
Zealot
splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This has actual bad effects (in terms of access to user data) only on a system with more than one non root user, which does not include the vast majority of desktop/laptops.
and that makes it ok? (Dan says it best) Rule #1: If it's possible it will happen.

Quote:
Furthermore, the exploit will be closed in the next calibre release.
Probably not...

Instead of just patching each exploit, fix the inherent flaw! It really is ok to just ask for help from those who are offering it instead of just ignoring them

Last edited by splat; 11-04-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: link to Dan's offer of help
Old 11-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
One more for the ignore list.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Your focus is really quite narrow and misleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat View Post
Instead of just patching each exploit, fix the inherent flaw! It really is ok to just ask for help from those who are offering it instead of just ignoring them
You link to an early post but fail to acknowledge the end posts. Try reading through the entire bug report, say comment 48 onwards.

Quote:
One more for the ignore list.
There is no place for folks that purposefully tell part of the story.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-04-2011 at 08:26 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
splat
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Try reading through the entire bug report, say comment 48 onwards.
I did. See my "probably not" link, which is in reference to post 49. Followed on in 54 and 56.

Don't like something better put head in the sand, that always works well
Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Don't like something better put head in the sand, that always works well
Yeah, because the "Don't like something? Better start an internet vendetta" approach works soooo much better. And is much classier to boot.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
splat
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yeah, because the "Don't like something? Better start an internet vendetta" approach works soooo much better. And is much classier to boot.
It was not a vendetta, it was posted as a PSA for those who want to be made aware that they might be running insecure software.

You stick with your conspiracy theories that evil security researchers are out to get the good guy developers.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@Splat
I am all for a 'Heads Up' about potential problems, but you are taking it over the top.

You join MR in 2006, make 90+ posts between then and now and tell Kovid that he must drop everything and secure the Linux distribution for maybe the 1 in 5000+ of those users that just might be running on a system that that possibility could exist

I think Kovid's list should forewarn those few affected users that the choice of system to run Calibre on should be considered.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It was not a vendetta, it was posted as a PSA for those who want to be made aware that they might be running insecure software.
You're right... I apologize. The one person that the potential root exploit might have affected probably appreciates the PSA. You're a lifesaver. Carry on and feel good.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
splat
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You join MR in 2006, make 90+ posts between then and now and tell Kovid that he must drop everything and secure the Linux distribution for maybe the 1 in 5000+ of those users that just might be running on a system that that possibility could exist
When I joined or how many posts I have is completely irrelevant.

I'm not demanding he drop everything. There was a bug report, it'd be nice if instead of ignoring the messengers that it gets addressed properly. If he needs the time to do it by all means take it, just don't trivialize it, let those who may be affected, know and give steps to mitigate until fixed.

Quote:
I think Kovid's list should forewarn those few affected users that the choice of system to run Calibre on should be considered.
Perfectly workable and acceptable (at least from my point of view) and has already been suggested in the bug thread.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
The Calibre Wikipedia entry has a reference to this issue.

I'm a fan of both Calibre and Wikipedia. I'd like Wikipedia to be correct. It states:
Quote:
On November 2, 2011, a series of exploits were reported in Calibre that enabled users to gain root access through a poorly designed and implemented SUID disk mounting program that was part of the distribution. The developer, Kovid Goyal, refused to take the helpful bug reports seriously, instead taking them as personal attacks. He stated that Calibre was designed to run on end user computers, so it was not important to protect against malicious privilege escalation, because "for the vast majority of calibre users, this is a non issue". After he was unable to patch all the vulnerabilities that were pointed out, he then announced that he was going to ignore the bug reports because of their tone. An article on reddit titled How not to respond to vulnerabilities in your code discussed the incident.
IMO, this fails to note that the "series of exploits" relates only to Linux, not Windows or OSX. Specifically, it relates to the "mount helper" used for USB mounting of ereader devices. The mount helper is found only in the binary Linux install and package maintainers for specific flavors of Linux can and do remove that component if their particular Linux flavor does not need it. It's only there to make sure that calibre can be installed on all flavors of Linux.

It also fails to note that the exploits apply only when the Linux OS fails to supply a more secure method of mounting which calibre tries to use first: udisks. It does not mention that exploits have been closed and Kovid's response to a possible updated exploit is:

Quote:
I look forward to the updated exploit. If/when you attach it, I will review if it can be closed. If it can, I will fix it, if not, then I will nuke calibre-mount-helper. Linux users will just have to live with no out of the box experience. Hopefully, most of them are used to that.
As one who doesn't even run calibre on my Debian System, I don't feel comfortable correcting this entry or trying to balance it, but I'd urge people on both sides of this issue, who know the details, to work to get the Wikipedia entry made fair, balanced and accurate.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for the info. I removed the suid bit of the mount helper. I'll also make sure it stays that way on my system. Giving a binary suid-root is dangerous and should be avoided at all costs. Removing it entirely seems the best option to me.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
@Splat
I am all for a 'Heads Up' about potential problems, but you are taking it over the top.

Yeah sure, linux user are minority, who cares Well, I, as linux certainly care. it's tipical about there : hey why should kovid spend time on function X, i don't want / need it, so it's useless.

It seams to me that the exploit can only be used by someone actually in front of the computer. Fixing it would be nice, but not if it means breaking thing for us linux users. (No one i can't trust will touch my computer anyway.)

Not that I care about that particular issue, as i don't use calibre.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 11-04-2011 at 11:12 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote