Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-13-2008, 02:14 AM   #16
Chandrakumar
Chandrakumar began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Hi friends,

My blogs are in UTF-8 character set. I have saved them in to files of .pdf, .htm and .txt formats and sent all the three files to Kindle support for conversion into kindle format. To this, I am in receipt of the following reply form Kindle:
Kindle uses display technology similar to that of a Web browser and supports the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 8859-1 character set, which is based on the Latin languages. The only characters from this set not currently supported are: spades, clubs, hearts, up-arrow, down-arrow, alpha, beta, and gamma. If you have digital content that you did not purchase from Amazon.com but would like to view on Kindle, you should be able to view it if the file is free of digital rights management software, uses characters from the ISO 8859-1 character set, and is in one of the supported file formats

Now I am hopeless. Their reply is evident that it will not support any non-latin language which includes UTF-8. My only option is to return it within the specified period.
Chandrakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:24 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Looks like you're out of luck, unfortunately . A Sony or a Gen3 should work OK for you, though, if you did fancy trying another make of eInk reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2008, 02:55 AM   #18
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
And, perhaps an intermediate step in getting text to JPG as seajewel suggested. I might take some time to experiment with this over the weekend if someone wants to supply a text file in Korean. (And assuming I have a font that would work with it!)
I am attaching a Korean sample text file, it contains about 2-3 pages of text. If you do get around to testing it, please let me know how it goes! Thank you so much!
Attached Files
File Type: txt Korean_Sample.txt (3.3 KB, 476 views)
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:56 AM   #19
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ooohh has anyone tried this out on the Kindle? How long are page turns? How is the font (clear enough to read without discomfort)? How did you make it? Thanks!! If this works, I will buy a Kindle now for sure.

EDITED TO ADD: You explained how in the post above. Thank you for trying this! Let me know how it reads. I'm really excited right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
OK, I decide to share a Chinese book I made. It is Sun Tzu's Art of War. The texts were aligned vertically, as in the traditional style. Please enjoy it even if you don't understand Chinese.

Added: it was make for Kindle specifically (png sized 520x640 each). So I doubt if it would display properly on other devices, such as Cybook.

Last edited by seajewel; 06-13-2008 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:35 AM   #20
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Ooohh has anyone tried this out on the Kindle? How long are page turns? How is the font (clear enough to read without discomfort)? How did you make it? Thanks!! If this works, I will buy a Kindle now for sure.

EDITED TO ADD: You explained how in the post above. Thank you for trying this! Let me know how it reads. I'm really excited right now.
You can preview the file on your PC. I think it displayed beautifully on the Kindle and the page turns are like 1.5 times the normal ones. What's more, you have all kinds of fonts at your disposal. For example, I use Ming to view classical scripts and Gothic/Black for comtemporary ones.

However you do have to put in a lot of work to transform the text. I have done like 10 books before I stopped. I'd advice you to get a Sony PRS-500/505 if you plan to read a lot of Korean. That's why I have both.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #21
seajewel
Fanatic

Thanks. I think I'll get a Kindle soon then. I only plan on reading about 5 Korean books on the Kindle, the rest will all be English, and I just have a lot more faith that Amazon will be around as an ebook seller than Sony will. That's why I've been sort of holding out on the Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
You can preview the file on your PC. I think it displayed beautifully on the Kindle and the page turns are like 1.5 times the normal ones. What's more, you have all kinds of fonts at your disposal. For example, I use Ming to view classical scripts and Gothic/Black for comtemporary ones.

However you do have to put in a lot of work to transform the text. I have done like 10 books before I stopped. I'd advice you to get a Sony PRS-500/505 if you plan to read a lot of Korean. That's why I have both.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
and I just have a lot more faith that Amazon will be around as an ebook seller than Sony will. That's why I've been sort of holding out on the Sony.
Maybe, maybe not. But, it's not really an issue since you can buy LIT books and convert them to the Sony format.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:54 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... or, indeed to Kindle/Mobi format . LIT is (IMHO) the best format to buy in in terms of "longevity" of the book, because it's so easily converted (on a Windows PC, at least) to so many other formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, that should display fine on the Gen3.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrakumar View Post
Hi friends,

My blogs are in UTF-8 character set. I have saved them in to files of .pdf, .htm and .txt formats and sent all the three files to Kindle support for conversion into kindle format. To this, I am in receipt of the following reply form Kindle:
Kindle uses display technology similar to that of a Web browser and supports the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 8859-1 character set, which is based on the Latin languages. The only characters from this set not currently supported are: spades, clubs, hearts, up-arrow, down-arrow, alpha, beta, and gamma. If you have digital content that you did not purchase from Amazon.com but would like to view on Kindle, you should be able to view it if the file is free of digital rights management software, uses characters from the ISO 8859-1 character set, and is in one of the supported file formats

Now I am hopeless. Their reply is evident that it will not support any non-latin language which includes UTF-8. My only option is to return it within the specified period.
The characters from this set not currently supported are: spades, clubs, hearts, up-arrow, down-arrow, alpha, beta, and gamma.

None of these characters are in ISO-8859-1. Check our wiki for details.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ISO-8859-1

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:25 AM   #26
pengrus
Enthusiast
pengrus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I read this thread, and still cannot understand. Could you please share if it is possible to read Chinese on Kindle? And what are the steps?

Thanks a lot!
pengrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:36 AM   #27
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
It's not possible for Kindle to display Chinese at the moment.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:22 AM   #28
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Kindle does support UTF-8 in its Mobi books and probably in the browser. However, the built-in fonts have glyphs only for Latin characters, so any non-Western languages won't work.
To add some color - UTF-8 can be used to represent any Unicode character (just about any character/glyph you can think of displaying), but as noted , Kindle's fonts generally don't have the data to display characters outside the standard Latin characters. There is no built in data to support for Chinese, Korean, or Japanese characters.

From wikipedia:
Initially Kindle 1 only supported the ISO 8859-1 (Latin 1) character set for its content and Unicode characters and non-western characters were not supported. The firmware update of February 2009 supports additional character sets including ISO 8859-16.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-16
to gain a better understanding of terminology and what the characters are.

The other route to display characters is image based. Tear apart Da Vinci code, for example. Those funny characters appear in the ebook, but I am not aware of any Unicode encoding for them. They are image based. Thus in an oblique (brute-force) way the "font" is embedded in the content.

This technique could be extended to display just about anything on a Kindle screen. One degenerate case would be one image per page that snapshots the page with any writing system content. This is inefficient, unsearchable, no annotations within a page, no font size changes, etc., but "do-able".
The other would be one image for every character. Same problems.

The analogy for the first is a fax page - you can write whatever you want on a fax page - no encoding, no fonts, no plug-ins, etc required. The analogy for the second is those weird ransom notes you seen in books/movies from the 1980's - images individually clipped from magazines and strung together.

(We HAve YouR ChiLd)

Next, as noted elsewhere, Topaz is Amazon's proprietary format. If you look long enough and hard enough at Topaz content, you might conclude it is a hybrid between mobi (characters encoded) and image-based data.

The site http://www.latenightcode.com/devblog...tions-part-ii/ seems to confirm this.

To summarize, a clever programmer may find a way to add additional UTF-8 font data to Kindle, and it might just work. Or, a clever programmer may create a Topaz content creation/conversion tool to display non-latin characters, and that just might work too.

(Line layout, e.g. bi-directional text, ligatures, etc., needs to move to another thread.)

Last edited by Thomas Ryan; 03-01-2009 at 04:26 AM. Reason: spell check
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #29
pengrus
Enthusiast
pengrus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thank you Thomas for the detailed background information. Hope soon we will be able to read more language. Per Amazon's mission, it seems to be on their roadmap.
pengrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #30
realscore
realscore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi lovebeta,

What software and how did you use to create the Art of War.prc? Thanks.
realscore is offline   Reply With Quote