Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which eBook do you want to read for the June Book Club selection?
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen 5 16.67%
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë 3 10.00%
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins 2 6.67%
Woman in White by Wilkie Collins 3 10.00%
King Solomon's Mines by Sir Henry Rider Haggard 12 40.00%
From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne 3 10.00%
War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
June 2009 Book Club Vote

The voting will run through Friday June 5th, 2009.

These are the eBooks we are going to be voting on.
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
  • The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
  • Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
  • King Solomon's Mines by Sir Henry Rider Haggard
  • From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne
  • War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

To see the descriptions of these eBooks, please browse the following thread... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47730
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do think we have an interesting mix of eBooks for June. June is going to be good for we'll have a good one.
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I voted for The Moonstone. I adore Wuthering Heights, it is one of my favourite novels ever, but I in the end decided to vote for something I have not yet read.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:22 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd like to encourage people to vote for "King Solomon's Mines". If you thought that "thrillers" were a "modern" phenomenon, this book will make you think again - it's on a par with anything that Tom Clancy or Robert Ludlum wrote. It is also the first of Rider Haggard's books to feature "Alan Quatermain", who appears in a dozen or so of Haggard's other books, so this is a very useful "introduction" if you plan to read more of his books.

If you choose this book, you won't regret it, I guarantee it! .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I've read all of these books so I voted for King Solomon's Mines just for you, Harry.

I remember my mother buying me Nada the Lily when I was at school. It was one of a collection including What Katy Did and The Black Arrow. I've read several more Rider Haggard books since then and enjoyed them all.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
King Solomon's Mines for me. And, it's available in a nicely formatted Mobipocket or Sony LRF edition in Harry T's H. Rider Haggard Anthology, Volume 1.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:09 AM   #7
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Wait wait wait, there's a blatant irregularity with this poll!
I just noticed that Wuthering Heights is the only title appearing in italics. Surely this is some scheme to influence people to vote for other books, and we must start the poll again!

Well, I downloaded and started Wuthering Heights anyway, I'll switch to King Solomon's Mines later.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:12 AM   #8
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
The one you voted for appears in italics - it's not an irregularity, it's a helpful feature for those with bad memories

I've downloaded several of the books. I want to read all of them so I'm going to see how many I can get through in a month!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:41 AM   #9
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2

How stupid of me. Well at least it shows my memory's all right, as I can remember which book I voted for.

Thanks for the explanation.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... and King Solomon's Mines wins by a landslide!

Download links:

Sony Version
Mobi Version
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm going to have a go at converting the Mobipocket edition of the Volume 1 Antholgy into epub and if it's good enough, I'll upload it. I'll have a go with it tomorrow. And yes, it will include a nicely embedded font that I think most people will like.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
So - when do we start discussing this?
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote