Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #46
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Everyone dl One Thousand Nights and a Night. Read it before next Wednesday. All 10 volumes.

.....not funny.....Really NOT funny............
Old 10-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #47
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
Count me in too, but what happens if you hate the book after the first couple of chapters? Do you have to 'fess up' and take a pummelling from the boards??
Speaking personally, I wouldn't pummel you.

But I would hope for a reasoned response as to why you didn't like it, and why it didn't work for you.

Conversely, commentary on why people like a book can be invaluable. Often, the comments may give you another way of looking at a book, and a means of grasping the story you didn't have before, enabling you to go back and appreciate a book you previously didn't care for.
______
Dennis
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #48
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
mmmmpphhh! mmmppphhh!!!
Is this you being strangled by fellow MobileReaders after laying down that edict?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #49
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
>Maybe a commitment would be required to be in the 'choose a book' category? Or would that be too binding to some?

I've got a thought...

What about if you are in the contingent of people who finished, let's say, November's book; and you participated actively in the discussion of that book. Anyone who finished the previous months' book would be eligible to pick the next month's. If there's more than one person (jeez, let's hope ), we could come up with a way to randomly choose from among the people who finished and participated.

Thoughts?
OR......the mod could randomly pick someone to choose the next months books...all eligible names could go in a hat and voila! "so and so, YOU"VE won this months lottery!" The winner could pm the mod so that he/she'd know they were participating? (I thought of this one while my husband and I were eating a wonderful lunch out)..........
Old 10-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #50
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Conversely, commentary on why people like a book can be invaluable. Often, the comments may give you another way of looking at a book, and a means of grasping the story you didn't have before, enabling you to go back and appreciate a book you previously didn't care for.

Fair comment, I hadn't thought of it like that. As long as the Book of the Month isn't Ulysses, or anything else by James Joyce I should be fine.
[Pause for Joyce fans to wade in..........]
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #51
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post

Fair comment, I hadn't thought of it like that. As long as the Book of the Month isn't Ulysses, or anything else by James Joyce I should be fine.
[Pause for Joyce fans to wade in..........]
Im NOT a James Joyce fan.........but I would read the book if it was chosen. Just to see if it was as God awful as I remembered.........
Old 10-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #52
PsyDocJoanne
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

After considering everyone's suggestions (thanks to all of you, because this idea incorporates most folks' thoughts in some way!), I had an idea that I think will work well for choosing books. It allows us to get an opportunity to read within a lot of different genres, incorporates MobileRead's library, and gives authors who read and post here a chance to share their work with us.

Each month, a thread will be posted to solicit suggestions for the next month's book, and once all suggestions are in, we'll take a poll. However, your suggestions will need to fall within the guidelines for that month's content.

Here's what I propose:

November
Fiction--A Passage to India, by E.M. Forster

December
MobileRead Classic (can be any genre, but must be a classic and must be available in our library)

January
Science Fiction (can be from anywhere, including our library)

February
MobileRead Contemporary (can be any genre, but must be contemporary and must be available in our library)

March
Nonfiction (can be from anywhere, including our library)

April
MobileRead Author (must be a book from an author who frequents MobileRead)

May
Horror (can be from anywhere, including our library)

June
MobileRead Classic

July
Humor (can be from anywhere, including our library)

August
MobileRead Contemporary

September
Mystery (can be from anywhere, including our library)

October
MobileRead Author

What do you all think?
Old 10-10-2008, 08:06 PM   #53
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

I think you came up with an outstanding format!

On my way to download "A Passage to India"......even if its not chosen, the blurb sounded good.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #54
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Sounds good to me
Old 10-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #55
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

may I suggest one more thing..........since there will be so many books suggestions for the following month, I"m sure the voting will be all over the board. If there is no clear winner, perhaps you or the mod could have the final say-so?
Old 10-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #56
PsyDocJoanne

Hi desertgrandma!

I think there probably does need to be someone who can break ties, especially if most people end up voting for their own suggestions

Whether that would be me or a mod (or someone else, for that matter) should be up to the mods, I think. I PM'ed Zelda about some general Book Club stuff, so I'll ask her about this, too...
Old 10-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #57
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

hhmmmmmm............someone is bound to figure out a way to 'stuff' the ballot box........"wait, there are only 30 members registered..........how did this book get 79 votes????
Old 10-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #58
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Im NOT a James Joyce fan.........but I would read the book if it was chosen. Just to see if it was as God awful as I remembered.........
A trick that might help on Joyce: Joyce took his legendary walks through Dublin, and he tried to reproduce in his books what he *heard* in his travels. Try reading Joyce *aloud* and see if it works better. The cadences of natural speech are a better fit for Joyce than simply tring to read off the printed page.
______
Dennis
Old 10-10-2008, 08:41 PM   #59
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
A trick that might help on Joyce: Joyce took his legendary walks through Dublin, and he tried to reproduce in his books what he *heard* in his travels. Try reading Joyce *aloud* and see if it works better. The cadences of natural speech are a better fit for Joyce than simply tring to read off the printed page.
______
Dennis
I promise that if any of his books are chosen, I will do just that........
Old 10-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #60
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'm in. I really like the plan you've put together, particularly having two months of the year dedicated to reading something by one of the authors who visit, post, and discuss electronic formats with us.

I'm off to find a copy of the Forster novel, since it doesn't appear to be in the MobileRead library.

Edit -- ah, of course. Published in 1924, it's still in copyright in the USA. The author died in 1970, so it's still in copyright in Canada. $3.95 in the Kindle edition @ Amazon, $5.99 at Fictionwise with 50% rebate (secure MobiPocket or secure Microsoft Reader), $5.69 at the Sony Store.

Last edited by Elsi; 10-10-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Closed Thread