Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
interesting Wired article on Instapaper and the Kindle

Quote:
It’s flawed, but I love my Kindle 2. The reading experience is great, and if I can forget about the DRM I can enjoy any of the books Amazon deigns to sell to foreigners. It is also a fantastic personal newspaper when combined with Instapaper, the excellent web-page clipping service.

We already wrote a guide to de-crippling the Kindle, but a combination of an update to Instapaper (it now offers a Kindle-friendly package of your clipped articles for direct download) and some Automator kung-fu, the process of loading up your e-reader with hand-picked articles is as easy as plugging it in.

First, get yourself an Instapaper account. This is free, and allows you to clip entire web pages to read later by simply clicking a bookmarklet in your browser. The article is then stripped of ads and other junk leaving only beautifully formatted text that can be read on your iPhone or Kindle, or even printed onto (gasp) paper. Once set up, go to your own Instapaper page and you’ll see this:
more here:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...ic-instapaper/

Has anyone tried it?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I use Instapaper on my iPhone all the time. Great app.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Yes, I've been using it for months. I have the Instapaper app on my iPod Touch, which means that if I come across an interesing article, I can flag it in my browser, then read it on my Touch, even when I don't have an Internet connection. It's great for collecting snippets to read on the bus, for example.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Also supports ePub downloads, so not just for Kindle or iPhone/iPod Touch.

I also haven't yet used Instapaper, but plan to. For my Sony Reader I've been using
  • Old: Bookit, but it now always fails for me.
  • Now: screen scrape to Microsoft Word, raise font two sizes, save as PDF.
  • New: Instapaper

For my Palm OS, I've been using Plucker, but maybe Instapaper will replace it--I'm pretty sure Instapaper's Kindle format will be readable by Mobipocket on the Palm.

Thanks for linking the article. Interesting that they manage to auto-load the Kindle with Instapaper content using a Mac. I'll be looking for Windows macro programs that can also do the automation.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I've been using Instapaper on my DX for a few months, and love it.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Very cool! I've created an account and added the bookmarks. The perfect complement to Calibre and it's newsfeeds.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I used Instapaper on my DX for a while, and it worked pretty well, but I spent a lot of time just getting my articles clipped and onto my Kindle. Plus, every day I had to individually delete the previous day's articles. I finally decided it wasn't worth the overhead. Now, I just read all that stuff directly on my iPad.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
john7parker
john7parker began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Arrow Kindle Web Clipping

I would disagree with the last post. The most annoying thing about reading on the web is the glare from the screen. Thats what the Kindle solved for me. I used instapaper but it make me download the AZW file which was almost as much hassle as cutting and pasting it myself. I switch to clipDO.com when I saw then launch on eBookReader.

There are things I would change about it but at least the delivery is instant (or near instant)
john7parker is offline   Reply With Quote