Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
Nanez
Nanez began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
What is better in Kobo Aura 2nd Edition?

Hi,
I think i will have to accept that my Kobo Aura first edition has died after just over three years of use. I liked most about it, but found it rather unstable, having to reset regularly, and the cause of its death has everything to do with the death of the reset button - it simply broke off
Am considering to buy an Aura second edition now, but am open to other options too, mostly if they are more stable and have a longer life expectancy. Does anyone know what the improvements are of the Aura Second edition over first edition? Did it get more stable? Or faster? Or anything else?
I have a slight preference for getting the same reading experience again, including sticking the new reader in the old cover which is still okay and which i've also grown attached to
Another thing that wasn't perfect for me was the strength of the background light: i found it too bright to read in a really dark environment. So i would also be happy to hear about readers that have a lower level light, if they exist.

Thanks in advance!
Nanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I like the H2O. I have the first edition. The section edition has the comfort light so you can change the color to lessen the blue from the light.

With the H2O, I read at 4%. I would say you could easily go up to 10% without an issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I like the H2O. I have the first edition. The section edition has the comfort light so you can change the color to lessen the blue from the light.

With the H2O, I read at 4%. I would say you could easily go up to 10% without an issue.
Or 60% without an issue.

I don't think the 2nd edition Aura will fit in the case for the 1st edition.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:11 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

The H2O 2nd Ed has the Comfort Light Pro, which allows you to change the light color.

The Aura 2nd Ed just has the Comfort Light.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:38 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I bought a few original Aura's on Ebay just a few months ago for $50 each, 2 for me and a couple for my neighbors. These included free shipping. All came in sealed original boxes and I've been unable to tell them from new ones. I suspect some where new. All were perfect.

I bought one of the original Auras when they first came out so I can compare them. The new ones are no more stable than my original one. They have to be rebooted now and then. But I don't really find this to be much of a problem and the price is good and they're still good reading devices.

Here's a link to the ones I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobo-Aura-Di...jHUogBCEH52XdA

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
Nanez
Nanez began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
Thanks for all the replies!
I did not have the time to respond earlier, sorry for that.

John, can you tell me what Comfort Light means?

I think i will have to go to a physical shop one of these days and really see and touch some models. Yes, i saw that the second edition of the Aura has a different build. I am really in doubt right now what brand i want to buy too. I would go for Kobo Aura or the Glo HD (though this is only available in one shop now in the Netherlands, where i live) because they have the nice and small build that i like, but it seems that for stability other brands might be better.
I do not care if i have to reset every now and then, but after the experience with the old one having its reset button breaking off from normal use i am rather disappointed in Kobo for selling something as whacky as that. Is there any brand that has a name for making ereaders that last for a long time? Because that is a quality i really like when i buy stuff. I am talking life expectancy, not battery life

@ Barry, thank you for the link. I am hesitant to buy those, also as shipping is apparently 16 dollars for me.
Nanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanez View Post

John, can you tell me what Comfort Light means?

"Comfort Light" was the original name for the lighting system in their eink front lit readers. It is similar to other eink front lighting found in other manufacturers: Paperwhite, Nook Glowlight, ...

"Comfort Light Pro" is their newer front lighting system that allows for changing the color of the lighting.

At least that is my understanding.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #8
cane
Enthusiast
cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3,Kindle Oasis 2016,2022 Basic kindle
Kobo-Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I bought a few original Aura's on Ebay just a few months ago for $50 each, 2 for me and a couple for my neighbors. These included free shipping. All came in sealed original boxes and I've been unable to tell them from new ones. I suspect some where new. All were perfect.

I bought one of the original Auras when they first came out so I can compare them. The new ones are no more stable than my original one. They have to be rebooted now and then. But I don't really find this to be much of a problem and the price is good and they're still good reading devices.

Here's a link to the ones I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobo-Aura-Di...jHUogBCEH52XdA

Barry
Berry,
I just bought one two,from the same site works great!
like the light weight works as well as my PW2
same 212 ppi may buy a second one for a spare

Last edited by cane; 06-12-2017 at 04:45 PM.
cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I also bought an original Aura from the link Barry shared and mine has been fairly stable. I don't know if I got lucky or if later builds were better,

The Aura Edition 2 isn't a bad device. But it doesn't seem to be an improvement on the original Aura in any way.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanez View Post
... Does anyone know what the improvements are of the Aura Second edition over first edition? Did it get more stable? Or faster? Or anything else?
The 2nd Ed has a Carta screen, which should give better contrast.