Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2 questions; library management & calibre version

Question1: While making changes in my main library [I have multiple], I got an error that my database was corrupted. I fixed it using the calibre backup. My question is, do I need to fix my other libraries also?

Question 2: I've been using Calibre version 2.0 and haven't wanted to upgrade as in the past when auto-updating I'd run into compatibility errors. So if I did want to upgrade, which version of Calibre is the most stable after that?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
We are not talking Virtual Libraries here ? Those are VIEWS of the main

metadata.db the Library (metadata you see in the main GUI)
It is independent of other (base) Libraries . So if your issue was not a Virus or rogue A/V, those should be fine.

Now BACK to your REPAIR from backup.
metadata.db also tracks BOOKS (and their file path names).
ANY Author or Title changes made between the backup and restore, will be lost or orphaned.
RUN Library Maintenance to discover issues, the effect corrective actions

??
Compatibility issues? What OS? What OS version of calibre is installed?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
We are not talking Virtual Libraries here ? Those are VIEWS of the main

metadata.db the Library (metadata you see in the main GUI)
It is independent of other (base) Libraries . So if your issue was not a Virus or rogue A/V, those should be fine.

Now BACK to your REPAIR from backup.
metadata.db also tracks BOOKS (and their file path names).
ANY Author or Title changes made between the backup and restore, will be lost or orphaned.
RUN Library Maintenance to discover issues, the effect corrective actions
No, not virtual, the main one that I used the metadata backup worked and I did run library maintenance afterwards. I'll leave the others alone then. Thanks!
Quote:
Compatibility issues? What OS? What OS version of calibre is installed?
Just little things that were usually fixed in the next version of Calibre, but I don't do a lot of technical things in Calibre, so using version 2.0 has not been a hardship for me at all. Just wondered if I DID want to upgrade, which version since 3.0 is the most stable.

Thank you again for your help.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Just little things that were usually fixed in the next version of Calibre, but I don't do a lot of technical things in Calibre, so using version 2.0 has not been a hardship for me at all. Just wondered if I DID want to upgrade, which version since 3.0 is the most stable.

Thank you again for your help.
Pretty much, the latest. Kovid keeps on top of bugs.

I always keep the previous download, just in case I can't wait for a show stopper (rare) patch. Just uninstall the latest, then install the previous IF NEEDED
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Just wondered if I DID want to upgrade, which version since 3.0 is the most stable.
Moderator Notice
Please don't raise the same issue in multiple threads, see Rule #3 in the Posting Guidelines.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote