Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #16
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I find "Before you go" very annoying. Especially as my OWN writing outnumbers books bought from Amazon, I also buy books from Smashwords and the bulk of my ebooks are gutenberg or other genuine public domain vintage titles.

Any ideas what bugs fixed or changes from 5.11.2 apart from the daft idea of a list on the Before You Go?

Why would I want to choose books from the "Before you Go" insult screen? How is AMAZON going to decide which titles I already have to list there? Unread Purchases? Items in so called Cloud?
I have Collections and Search as well as what ever ordering on the home screen. If they simply returned me to home screen when I finish a book, likely the next one is one click away. Sounds like evil marketing.
I promise you, not everything Amazon does is evil marketing. Some is just trying to make things easier. I *like* the before you go feature. It allows me to rate the book on Goodreads and add it to my "Read" shelf (I know that many people don't use this feature, but I appreciate it) For books not purchased from Amazon, the "before you go" feature doesn't even appear, (at least not for me) so why would it bother you for books that you wrote yourself or bought from another source?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #17
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I like the "before you go" popup. *shrugs. I always mark each read with stars. At the same time those stars go on goodreads as I have it linked and I think it tweets it out for me. Its also most always at the end of the book where it should be. Occasionally I close it and keep paging if there is some from the author note. Not a big deal. I always make sure I am at 100% anyway with each book I read.

Not sure how useful it would be to put other books I already own on that page. That is mainly because I own so many how in the heck would it pick.
I make my own reading order.

Obviously most of those features are mostly for those that use kindles with kindle books and like the integration with the system. Which I like. Its another way for me to track what I read. I also like the new features they gave us while back on the home view page, go figure.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
For books not purchased from Amazon, the "before you go" feature doesn't even appear, (at least not for me) so why would it bother you for books that you wrote yourself or bought from another source?

Shari
It appears for all the books sideloaded from Calibre. Perhaps because they're marked as books, not as docs.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:47 PM   #19
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Also this is another case where you get new Firmware (via Wireless or USB transfer) and LATER Amazon, when wireless is activated or time delay or something, activate a feature. In this case the list of books to read on the "before you go page".
That is an unacceptable way to deliver upgrades. It's a bad user experience. Is it instead of proper in-house testing?
I suspect that the feature is ready, but the data to drive it will take some time to produce. It is likely that the selection of the book choices for before-you-go will be made on Amazon's servers using information that isn't available on the Kindle itself, such as book series grouping.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I promise you, not everything Amazon does is evil marketing. Some is just trying to make things easier. I *like* the before you go feature. It allows me to rate the book on Goodreads and add it to my "Read" shelf (I know that many people don't use this feature, but I appreciate it)...
But it would be nice to be able to turn this feature off. I don't use Goodreads (zero interest), and if I want to review or rate a book, I just go to the Amazon site and do it from there.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #21
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It appears for all the books sideloaded from Calibre. Perhaps because they're marked as books, not as docs.
Ah...interesting. All of my books from other sources are stored in my Kindle cloud, and marked as docs.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I suspect that the feature is ready, but the data to drive it will take some time to produce. It is likely that the selection of the book choices for before-you-go will be made on Amazon's servers using information that isn't available on the Kindle itself, such as book series grouping.
That's obnoxious on several counts.

Amazon shouldn't have been allowed to buy IMDB & Goodreads. You are giving Amazon a free ride updating Goodreads.
Also there should be the ability to turn off "the before you go" feature.

Mainly I have the PW3 to buy Amazon books to read on my Kobo ereader and to test my ebook generation. So ultimately it won't affect me much.

Now, off to read #6 of AEW Mason's Detective series.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #23
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I pay no attention to the Before You Go pop-up. I hit the X in the upper right corner as soon as it appears. Then I promptly forget about it.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #24
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I like Before You Go, but for those who don’t, I support the idea of having it be something you can turn off, or have it be ‘on Demand only’ (accessed through menu).

The latter is something I’d probably prefer: it often pops up before some end matter that I’d like to read, or fails to pop up after I read the main material (many non-fiction books have End location defined literally as the last location in the book, following footnotes index etc, and you have to jump over many pages of that to get there (or GO TO the End location, which seems to define where in the book it pops up).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
From my earlier post in this thread ...
Quote:
I'm having a lot of crashes on my "new" Paperwhite using 5.12.1 firmware. Of course it's a new to me Paperwhite 2, so I don't know if it's firmware or hardware issues that are causing the crashes. Just curious if anyone else is having issues since upgrading to 5.12.1.

EDIT: It appears to be font related. So long as I change to a built-in font before opening a new book everything is fine. If I use one of my custom the program will often (not always) crash. Once I've moved to a new book I can change to my custom fonts without any issues. So the work-around is pretty easy.
It's definitely some kind of issue with fonts. I ran into the same problem on my Kindle Basic (8th Generation). Same solution. Go to another book that doesn't crash, change the font to one of the built-in ones, and the books opens without the error (doesn't actually crash, just won't open).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #26
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It seems that is not the case. You can suppress About This Book on first open, but there is no option for turning off Before You Go (apart from avoiding the End location), unless they added one in this new update.
Thanks for the correction. I guess I remembered it wrong.

Well, I made it to 78 before making my first mistake.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #27
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Thanks for the correction. I guess I remembered it wrong.

Well, I made it to 78 before making my first mistake.

Barry
Perhaps it is prophecy. And if there’s a multiverse, then of course there is such an option.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:08 PM   #28
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I pay no attention to the Before You Go pop-up. I hit the X in the upper right corner as soon as it appears. Then I promptly forget about it.
Wow, someone acting like an adult.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #29
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I've put 5.12.1 on both my PW4s and it's running fine. I like both Amazon and Kindle. If I didn't, I wouldn't be here.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #30
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
For books not purchased from Amazon, the "before you go" feature doesn't even appear, (at least not for me) so why would it bother you for books that you wrote yourself or bought from another source?

Shari
Not true. This annoying, intrusive pop-up appears on any book I've read, whether sideloaded or purchased from Amazon. I hate it and resent that I am not given an option to get rid of it.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote