Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
dkritso109
Enthusiast
dkritso109 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
problem downloading metadata and covers

it's been awhile since i added any new books, i started up calibre and updated to 8.15. then i added my books, they added great with naming convention perfect, but when i tried to download metadata and covers it fails every time. i tried on a bunch of different books and every time fail. i tried inputting the isbn and tried different isbn's, but to no avail. can someone please help me? i have all the metadata sources are check except for douban books. what could possibly be the reason?

**UPDATE**
i just tried to update the plugins and i get this error:

ERROR: Update Check Failed
Unable to reach the MobileRead plugin forum index page.

how can i fix this?

Last edited by dkritso109; 08-24-2011 at 08:15 AM.
dkritso109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkritso109 View Post
it's been awhile since i added any new books, i started up calibre and updated to 8.15. then i added my books, they added great with naming convention perfect, but when i tried to download metadata and covers it fails every time. i tried on a bunch of different books and every time fail. i tried inputting the isbn and tried different isbn's, but to no avail. can someone please help me? i have all the metadata sources are check except for douban books. what could possibly be the reason?

**UPDATE**
i just tried to update the plugins and i get this error:

ERROR: Update Check Failed
Unable to reach the MobileRead plugin forum index page.

how can i fix this?
Retry later when your internet connection returns (or that MR section is back online/less busy) . It is probably transient or your Firewall is blocking Calibre requests. (it work here a minute ago )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
dkritso109
Enthusiast

i checked my connection, ran a speed test and its fast. tried to get metadata from another book and no dice. i dunno about the firewall, but i really don't think so. three weeks ago i added like 4 books no prob. i think it may be the update.

anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i checked my connection, ran a speed test and its fast. tried to get metadata from another book and no dice. i dunno about the firewall, but i really don't think so. three weeks ago i added like 4 books no prob. i think it may be the update.

anyone have any ideas?
It is NOT the update (at least XP or Linux command line).
Software firewalls get updates (whitelists) all the time. Try disabling yours for a short test of Calibre.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
dkritso109
Enthusiast

yeah that worked, and i added exception and when i turn it on with the exception it doesn't work again. any ideas?

thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited by dkritso109; 08-24-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
dkritso109
Enthusiast

i'm a little worried now, calibre absolutely will not connect online unless i turn the whole norton firewall off. i tried adding exceptions, they simply revert to AUTO after i apply ALLOW. anything i'm missing?
Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
i'm a little worried now, calibre absolutely will not connect online unless i turn the whole norton firewall off. i tried adding exceptions, they simply revert to AUTO after i apply ALLOW. anything i'm missing?
Friends, don't allow friends to do Norton
(Note: I ditched the yellow box during the peak of Norton bloat.)
Old 08-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
dkritso109
Enthusiast

yeah i know but it's never been a problem before and i get it for free. i have been google'n this topic and i can't find a solution.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
If using Windows try Microsoft Security Essentials. I have been using it for a year almost with few problems and it is free.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote