Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
5%, or 100,000 copies, of "The Lost Symbol" were sold as e-books

New Dan Brown novel tops 2 million mark

"Herz did say that around 5 percent, or 100,000 copies, of "The Lost Symbol" were sold as e-books. Doubleday released the digital edition at the same time as the hardcover despite industry worries that e-sales might take away business from the more expensive paper text."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/New-Da....html?x=0&.v=1
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I was one of those 5%
I, for one, enjoyed the book
Would you have bought the hardcover, if they hadn't released the eBook?

- Ahi (from the past)

Last edited by ahi; 09-22-2009 at 03:15 PM.
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I was one of those 5%
I, for one, enjoyed the book
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Would you have bought the hardcover, if they hadn't released the eBook?

- Ahi (from the past)
No! mainly because of the high cost of postage - I would have waited for the reviews - & then not bought because of the reviews!

as it is I wasted $10 on a poor piece of work
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
No! mainly because of the high cost of postage - I would have waited for the reviews - & then not bought because of the reviews!

as it is I wasted $10 on a poor piece of work
Would rcuadro have though?

- Ahi
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Is this good news or bad news?

A big sales benchmark like that seems like the thing that is needed to emphasize the powerhouse that ebooks are becoming. However, it's hard to be proud when the benchmark is set by a Dan Brown novel.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
I bought it on the kindle which I regret. Its a waste of money in my opinion. I had forgotten how much I don't like his writing ability. I had it on hold at the library which is what I should have done. I am not the greatest judge of ebooks vs hardcover though. 50% of my reading is paper editions. I like ebooks but not interested in giving up paperbooks.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
If they are making $3 per ebook, that's not a whole lot of money. But then again, the book has only been out for a week, so that's not too bad.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'm enjoying it as well, though I'm only around chapter 20 or so.

I wouldn't have bought the hardback as I pretty much stopped buying real books (leisure books anyway, still buy/request from publisher academic books). Just a waste of space on a book I'll only read once and then have setting around or have to bother with selling or donating.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
If they are making $3 per ebook, that's not a whole lot of money. But then again, the book has only been out for a week, so that's not too bad.
Gross or net?

- Ahi
Old 09-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Anyone selling the ebook version at $9.99 or so is taking a small loss. Then again, a retailer selling the hardcover for $16 with free shipping is likely taking the same size loss....

That said, I'd say it's a good thing that ebooks are starting to make a noticeable dent in sales figures. And heck, that's a bunch of trees that didn't have to get cut down for those 100,000 copies...
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #12
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Anyone selling the ebook version at $9.99 or so is taking a small loss. Then again, a retailer selling the hardcover for $16 with free shipping is likely taking the same size loss....

That said, I'd say it's a good thing that ebooks are starting to make a noticeable dent in sales figures. And heck, that's a bunch of trees that didn't have to get cut down for those 100,000 copies...
Which, of course, doesn't mean that they weren't cut down. It just means that the resulting paper hasn't been put to good use yet... if even that.

- Ahi
Old 09-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
kaan
Connoisseur
kaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
Which, of course, doesn't mean that they weren't cut down. It just means that the resulting paper hasn't been put to good use yet... if even that.

- Ahi
Actually it does.
If you believe in the supply and demand theory, there is now a lower demand of paper. That means there are less need for trees to be cut down, that there would have been if the 100.000 ebooks had been sold as paper books.
kaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Would rcuadro have though?

- Ahi
Nope. I dont buy the hardback version of anything unless it is at the thrift store or at an used book place... but that was before I started reading eBooks...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #15
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaan View Post
Actually it does.
If you believe in the supply and demand theory, there is now a lower demand of paper. That means there are less need for trees to be cut down, that there would have been if the 100.000 ebooks had been sold as paper books.
Unless you think that the fact that Dan Brown's publisher shipped 100,000 fewer hardcover books somehow results in a temporal ripple into the past that informs some country's forest-industry that they only need to fulfill 98% of their current month's order to the paper industry?

Even if future demand is (minimally?) impacted by Dan Brown's publisher's failure to sell and ship the books they already made from 100,000 hardcover books' worth of trees... none of this says anything about trees that had to be (or did not have to be) cut down in the past... only future trees may be saved... but frankly I have difficulty concocting an explanation as to *precisely* how in the short or medium term.

- Ahi