Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Ebook maker wanted

My husband's written a novel that he wants to put out there in the public domain. Now, I have many talents but making a good looking e-book in multiple formats just isn't one of them (yes, I've tried). So, I'm looking for an enthusiast who wants to take up this arduous task for zero remuneration. Of course you'll be acknowledged and eternal glory shall be yours. PM me if you're willing to help.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'll do it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
I've seen ebooks formatted by Nate, and I can tell you that they look great!!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can we have ePub with 0 margins please?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What about the strange page numbering in ADE (and as well on the Sony devices) on the right side of a page? The page numbers will overlay characters if the epub doesn't have a right margin.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
What about the strange page numbering in ADE (and as well on the Sony devices) on the right side of a page? The page numbers will overlay characters if the epub doesn't have a right margin.
also it's much harder to read when the text runs up against the edge of the screen, especially since some letters can be slightly cut off. i realise that some people like to make the most of the available screen space but it's really important to have some margins nonetheless. the great thing is, if you get the epub file, you can easily reformat it with no margins for your own reading.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
I agree that there should be some margins on the sides. I've settled on a value of 2-3% in my modified epubs. That gives a reasonable amount of clearance from the sides of the screen, while only losing about 5 characters per line (which likely wouldn't be used anyways due to the lack of hyphenation/justification).
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Nate's got the job
Old 07-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
My husband's written a novel that he wants to put out there in the public domain.
Worth noting: "available for free to anyone in the public" is not the same as "in the public domain."

He can release it with a Creative Commons license, to allow anyone to copy it for free, but he retains his copyright ownership--so someone else can't turn around and sell the movie rights, for example. There are other options--he can just give away free copies and retain full copyright control; if he does that, people aren't allowed to give those copies to other people without his consent.

But "public domain" is a specific legal term in regards to creative works; it means *nobody* owns the rights to that work, and *anyone* is allowed to use it, for any purpose.

He can release his work into the public domain--but he certainly doesn't have to, in order to give away free copies or even allow people to make derivative works from them. It's important to be aware of the difference, because once a work is in the public domain, it can't be reclaimed by the author later.

(P.S. I'm glad he's getting help with the formatting; we love it when authors want to make their books available as well-formatted ebooks!)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #10
grimo1re
Geekette

Thanks for that Elfwreck. I wrote my first post before we had figured out what we wanted with regards to licenses so used the term PD. He's actually publishing it under a CC license.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:48 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
I don't actually have any problems with that. I'm easily able to make out the words that the page number is interfering with. And given that the 505/700. Does not do full justify, some of the time, that's a non-issue.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:50 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
also it's much harder to read when the text runs up against the edge of the screen, especially since some letters can be slightly cut off. i realize that some people like to make the most of the available screen space but it's really important to have some margins nonetheless. the great thing is, if you get the epub file, you can easily reformat it with no margins for your own reading.
Using Fontin or Droid (Don't really care for it), I've not found any letters cut off due to no margin on my 505.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #13
Syniurge
Enthusiast
Syniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: PRS-650
Why not ask for more specific help instead ? Tell us where your troubles with the ebook formats lie, you'll learn some interesting stuff and how to do it yourself.

If he has written a ordinary .txt file, then it shall be quite easy to write a script to guess the markup and output a "first draft".
Syniurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
My husband's written a novel that he wants to put out there in the public domain. Now, I have many talents but making a good looking e-book in multiple formats just isn't one of them (yes, I've tried). So, I'm looking for an enthusiast who wants to take up this arduous task for zero remuneration. Of course you'll be acknowledged and eternal glory shall be yours. PM me if you're willing to help.
I would have volunteered if Nate hadn't been faster

Anyway, I offer my help for other projects (or for this one, if needed).
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #15
grimo1re
Geekette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syniurge View Post
Why not ask for more specific help instead ? Tell us where your troubles with the ebook formats lie, you'll learn some interesting stuff and how to do it yourself.

If he has written a ordinary .txt file, then it shall be quite easy to write a script to guess the markup and output a "first draft".
I thought I explained. I've tried and it's not my thing. I have noticed many people on this forum seem to think/believe everybody should get into making e-books. Well, I don't agree. I've given it a whirl, wasn't happy with the result, didn't really like doing it. Let me just stick to other things instead

Now that I'm settling into my new house again after having moved from the other side of the world, I'll start reporting on e-book and e-ink related news again, that'll be my contribution to this community.