Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
coase
Enthusiast
coase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color
Problem with Calibre and tablets

Calibre gets stuck Getting the List of Books after it recognizes my older Galaxy Tab A. I added files to it 2 years ago without problems, but now using the latest Calibre, it connects, shows that there is a device and SD card but it just gets stuck at Get list of books. Progress shows unavailable and stays there for a long time without end.

What can I try? I cannot look at Preferences or such because it says that cannot stop communicating with device.

PS. I should add that after several minutes, Calibre just crashed.

Last edited by coase; 09-14-2018 at 01:30 PM.
coase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by coase View Post
Calibre gets stuck Getting the List of Books after it recognizes my older Galaxy Tab A. I added files to it 2 years ago without problems, but now using the latest Calibre, it connects, shows that there is a device and SD card but it just gets stuck at Get list of books. Progress shows unavailable and stays there for a long time without end.

What can I try? I cannot look at Preferences or such because it says that cannot stop communicating with device.

PS. I should add that after several minutes, Calibre just crashed.
I have a Tab A. If Metadata.calibre gets damaged on the device (there is second one, if there is a SD card), Calibre can hang, or it may just be scanning the entire file system again, which is very time consuming.
Always eject the device properly. That give Calibre time to update those files.

Calibre Companion works really great over my local WiFi. (I think it may even be a bit faster than USB)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
coase
Enthusiast
coase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enough

Well I tried ejecting the tablet. Then I rebooted the whole computer and attached the tablet. I verified that Explorer could see all the files without issue. I fired up Calibre and see that it is hanging again at the same place.

I had a similar problem with my Kindle Fire. I'm thinking of using an early version 2.x Calibre to see if that might work better.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Why not use a wireless connect instead ?
What you call hanging could be a very slow initial scan of every file on the tablet. Calibre is supposed to only do that once but if it's records are corrupt.... Or the scan is hitting a damaged book file on the tablet.
So you could try waiting it out. Or just restarting calibre. Can windows explorer still see the tablet files after calibre has crashed ?
There may be other ways to check calibre logs or put it into debug mode...
Or remove all the books on the tablet using windows explorer, copy them back to pc. Then see if calibre works ok with zero books on device. After that, add them back.
Or test again after removing SD card from tablet. Tests like that can help to narrow down what is causing the problem

Last edited by stumped; 09-15-2018 at 08:37 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
coase
Enthusiast

I tried to use the CC Demo and it wouldn't or couldn't see the Calibre on the PC as a wireless device. I checked to make sure that my network was set to Private and File Sharing was toggled on.

I've tried starting and restarting both Win 10 and Calibre several times.
Advert
Old 09-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by coase View Post
I tried to use the CC Demo and it wouldn't or couldn't see the Calibre on the PC as a wireless device. I checked to make sure that my network was set to Private and File Sharing was toggled on.

I've tried starting and restarting both Win 10 and Calibre several times.
Are you running a peer or infrastructure WiFi network? The CC FAQ pages has tips on dealing with each.

Does the CC content server mode connect?

Can the Browser on the Host (W10) PC connect to the content server?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I always have to manually set my calibre server local IP in CC , once per new device. That's the 192.168.0.xxx value, and the port number. With my virginmedia router, the auto searching built into CC never works.
In windows 10, right click on windows start symbol to get command prompt then type ipconfig to see the server PC address. Give that value to CC once , via its preferences screen & you should be sorted- but if not, ask the CC author for help.
you can also link CC to dropbox and put a copy of your calibre library into that, for 24/7 availability
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote