Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Itunes synch devices

I've had an ipod nano for several years to synch with itunes mostly to listen to audiobooks. Lately, I tried to synch my iphone 4s with itunes but with no success. Not sure, if this device is no longer supported or there is some other issue.

Lately I've been using itunes to subscribe and download podcasts and so now I'm looking for other portable devices to listen to these audio files on the go. Preferably the device would have a large storage capacity but a low price would be a strong consideration regarding the device. Not sure if non-apple products sync with itunes but my guess is these devices would cost considerably less than apple products.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
I've had an ipod nano for several years to synch with itunes mostly to listen to audiobooks. Lately, I tried to synch my iphone 4s with itunes but with no success. Not sure, if this device is no longer supported or there is some other issue.

Lately I've been using itunes to subscribe and download podcasts and so now I'm looking for other portable devices to listen to these audio files on the go. Preferably the device would have a large storage capacity but a low price would be a strong consideration regarding the device. Not sure if non-apple products sync with itunes but my guess is these devices would cost considerably less than apple products.
You can search for a list of compatible devices for whatever version of iTunes you own. No telling what iPods and iPhones are still compatible.

As far as using iTunes with non-Apple devices, it is supposedly possible but a major PITA from what I've heard. I'm not sure why you would want to unless you are locked into the Apple iCloud system. iTunes has never been very robust are pleasant to use IMO. I only use it for backups of my iThingies. Did you try just using the Podcasts app on the device to download podcasts directly to your device? I rarely use it but that is how I get podcasts onto my iPhone or iPads.

Good luck, I hope you find a usable solution.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
You can search for a list of compatible devices for whatever version of iTunes you own. No telling what iPods and iPhones are still compatible.

As far as using iTunes with non-Apple devices, it is supposedly possible but a major PITA from what I've heard. I'm not sure why you would want to unless you are locked into the Apple iCloud system. iTunes has never been very robust are pleasant to use IMO. I only use it for backups of my iThingies. Did you try just using the Podcasts app on the device to download podcasts directly to your device? I rarely use it but that is how I get podcasts onto my iPhone or iPads.

Good luck, I hope you find a usable solution.
Thanks, I wasn't aware there was an Podcast app. Apparently, the IOS software on my Iphone 4s isn't compatible with the latest itunes and also the apple podcast app. However in the App Store found an app called myTuner Radio that allowed me to listen to the podcast I want but the app appears buggy. Well, there went my morning. . . time to work.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
Thanks, I wasn't aware there was an Podcast app. Apparently, the IOS software on my Iphone 4s isn't compatible with the latest itunes and also the apple podcast app. However in the App Store found an app called myTuner Radio that allowed me to listen to the podcast I want but the app appears buggy. Well, there went my morning. . . time to work.
I just pulled out my old iPhone 5 running iOS 9.3.5 and the Podcasts app is installed by default I think. Look under Utilities, it might be there for the iPhone 4 too. I know the iPhone 4 is older and has the smaller 3.5" screen as opposed to the 4" screen on the iPhone 5, so maybe Apple has decided to discontinue support for it. After all, it is getting really old now as it was released in 2010 which was 8 years ago.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:54 PM   #5
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I just pulled out my old iPhone 5 running iOS 9.3.5 and the Podcasts app is installed by default I think. Look under Utilities, it might be there for the iPhone 4 too. I know the iPhone 4 is older and has the smaller 3.5" screen as opposed to the 4" screen on the iPhone 5, so maybe Apple has decided to discontinue support for it. After all, it is getting really old now as it was released in 2010 which was 8 years ago.
My iphone 4s is also running IOS 9.3.5 but I can't find the Podcast app on the phone. Podcasts is showing in the app store however tapping open is non-responsive. This experience is a reminder how frustrating itunes can be.
**Edit**
Well, the podcast app finally appeared on my old iphone 4S. To conserve battery life I had turned off automatic app refresh and automatic downloads under settings. So this settings was changed to automatically refresh and download apps. Additionally, I disabled restrictions on the iphone after entering the passcode incorrectly two times. Luckily, I found the passcode in an old notebook. After a few minutes the podcast app appeared on the iphone 4s and the podcasts I had subscribed to in itunes on my laptop are fully playable. This is a perfect workaround since this old phone can no longer can sync with itunes due to running an old IOS. So Apple failed this time to force me to get a new iphone to listen to podcasts.

Last edited by Ricky D'Angelo; 09-01-2018 at 07:36 PM.