Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
mands
mands began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
Marvin 3 Crashing on Start Up - UPDATE

Hi guys!

I've been trying to switch over from the original Marvin app to Marvin 3 but every time I try to make the switch I run into the same problem, and I have been unable to find the answer elsewhere online.

I am able to send & restore my back up from Marvin to Marvin 3 and am able to start looking at general settings and customizing the side bar before Marvin 3 starts crashing. Every time I open it, it crashes within 1-2 seconds before the library can even load. I would really love to figure out how to fix this because I love Marvin so much I want to be up to date - especially now that it looks like the classic marvin might not be getting a dropbox compatible update.

I started with the paid version of the original app but am hesitant to pay for the full version of the new one if I can't even get the free download to work.

Anyone have any advice? I'd love to transfer my stuff over instead of starting all over from scratch so that it saves all my information and progress/etc....

Thank you so much for your time and assistance!

EDIT -
Decided to start from scratch and I'm still having the same problem! Not sure if Marvin just can't handle all my books (but the previous version, classic, could do so without any issue) because I can use the app with just one book downloaded. Haven't tested just how many books I can download before the app starts crashing... but this is frustrating! Full details in my reply below.

Last edited by mands; 12-01-2017 at 05:50 PM.
mands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #2
funny
funny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it is

Device: Marvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mands View Post
Hi guys!

I've been trying to switch over from the original Marvin app to Marvin 3 but every time I try to make the switch I run into the same problem, and I have been unable to find the answer elsewhere online.

I am able to send & restore my back up from Marvin to Marvin 3 and am able to start looking at general settings and customizing the side bar before Marvin 3 starts crashing. Every time I open it, it crashes within 1-2 seconds before the library can even load. I would really love to figure out how to fix this because I love Marvin so much I want to be up to date - especially now that it looks like the classic marvin might not be getting a dropbox compatible update.

I started with the paid version of the original app but am hesitant to pay for the full version of the new one if I can't even get the free download to work.

Anyone have any advice? I'd love to transfer my stuff over instead of starting all over from scratch so that it saves all my information and progress/etc....

Thank you so much for your time and assistance!
I have the paid version of Marvin 3 SxS. I never had any problem with that one. Try that one instead of 3. Though I did just transfer everything from SxS to 3 (free) without any problems b/c I was cleaning out my library.
funny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #3
mands

Hi everyone - so I'm still having the same problem.

This time instead of trying to transfer my information from marvin classic to 3.0, I decided to just try and start from scratch since it wasn't working.

I can link Dropbox to Marvin 3.0 and download all of my books, but it seems like it STILL has the same problem - once the books are downloaded, the app will crash after a few seconds - I can't even click anything to try and troubleshoot it because the moment the app loads and opens to the main/home page, I have about 1-2 seconds before it crashes out. This happens on both my iPad and my iPhone, which are up to date.

I'm wondering now if it is the NUMBER of books I have on 3.0 that is the problem? I have roughly 450-500 books, but nothing the previous app couldn't handle easily. Right now if I only download one single book I can read and use the app with no issues, but that is really not ideal for me. I LOVE Marvin and it is everything to me, so it is distressing that the classic version will not be updated/usable and that I cannot get the new version to work with me either. I don't have any options!

I am happy to pay for the full version (and plan to) of Marvin 3.0 but I am hesitant to do so because of this major issue.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I don't know how to resolve this or who to contact.

I've also been looking into other e-book apps for OS, but nothing even comes CLOSE to the Marvin experience I've grown to love any suggestions?

Last edited by mands; 12-01-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #4
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
I hope someone can come up with a solution for you.

I also switched from Marvin Classic to Marvin 3. Currently, I only have 125 books in my library but, in Classic, I had about as many as you did and had no crash issues.

Currently, I read mostly on my iPhone X and the only issue I've come up with so far is with the cutout at the top of the screen but it does't stop me from reading my books.

HHuummm, you aren't running out of storage on your device are you?
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:27 AM   #5
mands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
I hope someone can come up with a solution for you.

I also switched from Marvin Classic to Marvin 3. Currently, I only have 125 books in my library but, in Classic, I had about as many as you did and had no crash issues.

Currently, I read mostly on my iPhone X and the only issue I've come up with so far is with the cutout at the top of the screen but it does't stop me from reading my books.

HHuummm, you aren't running out of storage on your device are you?
Thank you for your response! Did you pay for the full version? I'm wondering if the paid version will not have this issue but I have no way of knowing...
I have plenty of space on both my ipad and my iphone. I'm assuming you started from scratch and downloaded only some of your books?

Classic was perfect!! I'm so sad haha I just don't understand why 3.0 won't work for me and I have no real ideas on how to troubleshoot this

I'm thinking about checking out hypen but it's supposedly not quite as good....
Old 12-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Yes, I did pay for this version. I did it because I thought it was going to unlock all of the different themes. Sadly, those themes seem to be an additional charge as, when I click on one, it's asks for a small tip to enable the color schemes. If you want to have access to all of them, it's pretty much the same cost as paying for the full version,. Any way.....

When I switched to Marvin 3, I think I did the backup of my books in Classic and moving them to Marvin 3. It's been a while but I don't remember why I didn't keep all of those books in it or if, possibly it caused an issue similar to yours but I was in the process of prepping for a vacation and wound up just loading the ebooks I wanted to take with me and read from that point onward.

Wish I could be more help on this.
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #7
mands

Aww it's okay! I appreciate your response all the same

I figure I might as well just finish all the 450+ books on classic (no syncing between devices though...) and then start fresh with marvin 3.0 and hope for the best!