Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-31-2016, 10:31 AM   #31
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
My Replacement Refrib came today. Does anyone know IF I can buy an extended warranty?
It looks like you can, through Squaretrade, at least. http://help.squaretrade.com/help/hel...urbished-items

Quote:
While most SquareTrade Protection Plans only cover new items, there are used or refurbished items that we do cover, including:

Mobile phones that were insured through a service provider up to the date you purchased your SquareTrade warranty. Click here for details.
SquareTrade Family Plans require that only one phone either be purchased in the last 30 days or be insured by a carrier until the date you purchased your SquareTrade warranty.
Certified refurbished items purchased only at select SquareTrade retail partners (listed below) and covered by a refurb SquareTrade warranty also purchased at the same retailer.
​TigerDirect
Staples (Computers)
B&H
Amazon
Woot
Office Depot
Used items purchased on eBay.

Click here for guidelines on when your coverage begins.

Please note, we do not cover:

Used items from retail stores with the exception of those listed above.
Any items, regardless of condition, purchased from classified ads, classifieds like Craigslist, or any other person-to-person sales.
Hope this helps,

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:32 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I ordered a new tablet from Amazon and it had a problem out of the box or developed a fault within 30-days, I'd be asking Amazon for a new one to replace that one. Thing is, they can do that as they can take back the defective tablet as a return and send out a new one as a new purchase.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:17 PM   #33
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I ordered a new tablet from Amazon and it had a problem out of the box or developed a fault within 30-days, I'd be asking Amazon for a new one to replace that one. Thing is, they can do that as they can take back the defective tablet as a return and send out a new one as a new purchase.
Yes, within 30 days I would expect a new one. Katie's was almost 9 months old when it needed to be replaced.

Shari
Old 12-31-2016, 04:25 PM   #34
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Yes, within 30 days I would expect a new one. Katie's was almost 9 months old when it needed to be replaced.

Shari
I was told mine would be New! But instead they Marked it Refrib! When I called them about it I was Told it was New But the box was destroyed. And under the Law [what Law?] They had to make it refrib! Then they sent me a link about Warranty Link was no help. I DO Know that when they replaced my other Defective K3 & PW2 I was told the Replacement would Only Last till the Original Purchase Item was a Year old. For the Current Fire HD 10 that means Feb 3rd 2017.

BTW IF you buy from some store Other than Direct from Amazon They wont just give you the Money back or Credit. No Matter How old! Told me I had to take it Back to Best Buy ... Best Buy said They don't do Anything if its Past their 15 day return!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 12-31-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:51 PM   #35
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It looks like you can, through Squaretrade, at least. http://help.squaretrade.com/help/hel...urbished-items

Hope this helps,

Shari
Let you know IF it Works!
Old 12-31-2016, 08:51 PM   #36
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I not sure What happened. I Never used SquareTrade before

I paid for 1 year on Fire HD 10" Tablet. They saying I Got it for a $49.99 Tablet! Now What do I do??
Old 01-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #37
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I not sure What happened. I Never used SquareTrade before

I paid for 1 year on Fire HD 10" Tablet. They saying I Got it for a $49.99 Tablet! Now What do I do??
I would say to call them and see if they will sort it out for you.

Shari
Old 01-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #38
Andy_D
Connoisseur
Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I began this thread, because I was hoping for feedback on my worry that the new Fire HD8 6th gen. I'd bought from Best Buy was used, because when unboxing it, I found the USB cable not tightly and neatly wound with a twist tie as was always the case in the past, but rather just stuffed loose into the box's section for the cable. I thought Amazon might have shipped a reburbished item to Best Buy. I was considering returning it.

The initial replies diverted the issue from whether the poorly wound cable was evidence of Amazon shipping a used item and toward the issue of Best Buy's frequent practice of selling returned merchandise as new. Some repliers seemed to allow their intense dislike for Best Buy and their past experiences with the store to ignore the specifics of my story such as Amazon's using a single use package that one has to tear apart to open. It did not make sense to me that Best Buy was the putative culprit.

Finally, poster Dordale suggested how responsibility, Amazon v. Best Buy, could be positively established. I'm ashamed of myself for not having thought of this from the get-go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Does the packaging have specific information (ie Serial # of the unit) that's contained?
YES IT DOES!

The packages of the cheap Fires are more like soft-sided, envelopes than actual boxes. On the bottom of the envelopes, the UPC code and serial numbers of the units are printed in exactly the same print and ink as all the other printing on the sides of the package. There are no stickers or white spaces to allow for after-printing stamping etc.

The serial number printed on my impossible-to-use-twice envelope/package matches the serial number of the tablet as viewed in Settings/Device Options/ Serial Number! This establishes beyond doubt that Best Buy could not have repackaged the tablet.

Subsequent to my post, I happened to watch a YouTube unboxing of the Fire HD8 6th gen. In the vid, the USB cable is packaged in exactly the same way as was mine (no twist tie). This did not cause any alarm bells to go off for the videographer. I've concluded it should not have caused any for me either. Sorry for the trouble!
Andy_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #39
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
I would say to call them and see if they will sort it out for you.

Shari
I give them a call Tuesday/ Wed Thanks! And they may catch it before I call.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #40
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_D View Post
I began this thread, because I was hoping for feedback on my worry that the new Fire HD8 6th gen. I'd bought from Best Buy was used, because when unboxing it, I found the USB cable not tightly and neatly wound with a twist tie as was always the case in the past, but rather just stuffed loose into the box's section for the cable. I thought Amazon might have shipped a reburbished item to Best Buy. I was considering returning it.

The initial replies diverted the issue from whether the poorly wound cable was evidence of Amazon shipping a used item and toward the issue of Best Buy's frequent practice of selling returned merchandise as new. Some repliers seemed to allow their intense dislike for Best Buy and their past experiences with the store to ignore the specifics of my story such as Amazon's using a single use package that one has to tear apart to open. It did not make sense to me that Best Buy was the putative culprit.

Finally, poster Dordale suggested how responsibility, Amazon v. Best Buy, could be positively established. I'm ashamed of myself for not having thought of this from the get-go.

YES IT DOES!

The packages of the cheap Fires are more like soft-sided, envelopes than actual boxes. On the bottom of the envelopes, the UPC code and serial numbers of the units are printed in exactly the same print and ink as all the other printing on the sides of the package. There are no stickers or white spaces to allow for after-printing stamping etc.

The serial number printed on my impossible-to-use-twice envelope/package matches the serial number of the tablet as viewed in Settings/Device Options/ Serial Number! This establishes beyond doubt that Best Buy could not have repackaged the tablet.

Subsequent to my post, I happened to watch a YouTube unboxing of the Fire HD8 6th gen. In the vid, the USB cable is packaged in exactly the same way as was mine (no twist tie). This did not cause any alarm bells to go off for the videographer. I've concluded it should not have caused any for me either. Sorry for the trouble!
Well now we all know. Sounds like the packaging department is paid by the piece.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote