Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
Bull06
Bull06 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
ePub to MOBI with Pictures

I am sorry if this question has been answered, but I cannot find it anywhere in the threads. I am using Adobe ID5 to create an ePub document that contains pictures. When I do the conversion to ePub with ID5, I have no problems with page layout. The pictures are jpg.

However, when I use Calibre to convert to MOBI, the pictures cause a page break before the text starts. Does anyone know what is going on? Thank you.
Bull06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If the pictures are large then some mobi viewers will automatically put them on a screen by themselves. That's not a page break its just something that viewers do. Try a smaller picture and see.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Bull06

When you say size, are you saying file size (kb vs mb) or pic size (pixel dimensions)? I have various sizes of both and all of them seem to do the same thing. Note also, I have viewed the MOBI file on both a Kindle and Kindle for PC and both seem to do the same thing. As for Kindle for PC, I can adjust the window and it still shows the same way. That is why I figure it is a "page break".
Old 06-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

pixel size
Old 06-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Bull06

Do you know the max pixel size or does it vary depending on the device?
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It varies.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
Bull06

Thank you for the information. To let you know, I got all of them down to less than 200x200 pixels, but it did not work. I had originally had the picture above the title. However, when I switched the two (i.e. title on top), it worked with the original jpegs which were well over 500x500 each. Thanks again!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
Glenndk
Glenndk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Letter conversion epub -> mobi

Hi!

I think I have found a problem (with Calibre 0.77, kindle, MacOS 10.6) when converting some (one?) letters from epub to mobi format.

Conversion
from to really should be:
"ĉ" "ae" "ĉ" (lower case)

("ĝ","Ĝ" conversion was fine)

These letter conversions are yet untested:
"Ĉ" (upper case)
"ċ" (lower case)
"Ċ" (upper case)

-

The front page image looked fine.

-

Test text:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/29392
epub was converted in the export process.
mobi was copied directly to Kindle and "ĉ" looked fine.

kind regards,

Glenn

Last edited by Glenndk; 07-08-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: forgot title
Glenndk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

check the keep ligatures option in conversion settings.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
Glenndk

Worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thanks,

it worked.

I am just starting using Calibre. It seems well done. I thank you (and other contributers) for it.

kind regards,

Glenn
Old 07-09-2010, 04:17 AM   #11
Glenndk

Letter conversion epub -> mobi - request

Quote:
Could you please consider by default not to do, the conversion of "ĉ,Ĉ" into "ae,AE" in Calibre in Danish, Norwegian, or Icelandic languages, or Old English (non-latin!) texts, because in these languages it is a distinct letter.

I found this to support it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typogra...g_as_ligatures
"...
The character Ĉ - lower case ĉ (in ancient times named ĉsc) when used in the Danish, Norwegian, or Icelandic languages, or Old English, is *not* a typographic ligature. It is a distinct letter—a vowel—and when alphabetised, is given a different place in the alphabetic order.
Ĉ comes from Medieval Latin, where it was an optional ligature in some words, for example, "Ĉneas". It is still found as a variant in English and French, but the trend has recently been towards printing the A and E separately.[7] Similarly, Œ and œ, while normally printed as ligatures in French, can be replaced by component letters if technical restrictions require it.
..."

Last edited by Glenndk; 07-09-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #12
Glenndk

News with "ĉ" still gets translated

Quote:
Even though I have checked the keep ligatures option, "ĉ" still gets translated to "ae" in the news (mobi-format; epub format was apparently not generated).

-

By the way - the news system is at this time, the best bonus feature I have discovered since I got the ebook - thanks.

Last edited by Glenndk; 07-09-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Will be fixed in next release.