Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
DavidTurnbull
DavidTurnbull began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Kindle Format Question

Hi,

I was looking at ereader.com and they have some great deals. My question is, can these eBooks be read via the Kindle?

Thanks.
DavidTurnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTurnbull View Post
Hi,

I was looking at ereader.com and they have some great deals. My question is, can these eBooks be read via the Kindle?

Thanks.
according to the salesclerk at B&N, no.

according to their FAQ page:

What is eReader? Why do I need it? Can I use a different Reader?

eReader Pro is an application used to read eReader.com eBooks on your Palm OS, Pocket PC, Symbian Smartphone, Windows, Windows Mobile Smartphone or Mac. Without eReader Pro, you will not be able to read eReader.com eBooks, and other eBook Readers will not work with eReader.com eBooks. eReader.com eBooks are encrypted to protect the authors' work. In addition, the eReader Pro can display styled text (italicized, underlined, etc.) and formatting as well as perform functions not found on other eBook readers. There is no charge to download and use eReader Pro. For more information about the eReader go to Using the eReader.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
David,

Just to add to the good advice given by DesertGrandma ....

In general, a Kindle can only read Kindle books supplied by Amazon, and books in Mobi format without DRM. Other DRM-free documents can be converted for the Kindle, but there is no way to convert "protected" books from other formats. (At least, that's my understanding.)
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I see this is your first post also........welcome to MobileRead!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
David,

Just to add to the good advice given by DesertGrandma ....

In general, a Kindle can only read Kindle books supplied by Amazon, and books in Mobi format without DRM. Other DRM-free documents can be converted for the Kindle, but there is no way to convert "protected" books from other formats. (At least, that's my understanding.)
There are ways to convert many other protected formats but it may or may not be legal to do so.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert