Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-20-2008, 12:06 AM   #31
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What would happen is say Bookeen decided to add another DRM format to the Gen3 now that they have Mobipocket? Could they get away with it?

The problem is that Mobipocket doesn't play nice. Sony is currently the only company to have multiple DRM schemes on their reader.

It would be in Mobipocket's best interest to stop with the "we have to be the only DRM scheme on your device or screw you" attitude. It's not good business.
I sent an email to Bookeen a couple months ago asking this specific question and they responded that they are a multi-format device and will be continue to be in the future. They didn't say multi-formats with DRM and I didn't ask them to clarify. I considered myself lucky to get that much of a response. They could have easily ignored my email or responded that their license agreements are private.

I think the difference with Bookeen is they did the development work to get Mobipocket working in their Boo reader. If you want Mobipocket to do the development work they probably want some assurance they're likely to see profits from it. I'm just speculating like everyone else in the thread though.

I doubt that Mobipocket would develop a reader for the Sony because they probably don't see future sales from the effort. I would view it as a benefit to the Sony customers so they can read the books they've already bought but Mobipocket would probably play second fiddle. The question you'd have to answer for Mobipocket is "If you wanted to buy Mobipocket why did you buy a Sony reader that you knew didn't support it?"

The alternative would be for them to allow Sony to do the development work and I'll go into business selling pig wings when Mobipocket does that.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #32
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiehill View Post
What suprises me a little is that some people have replied here to say how mobipocket will never play ball with Sony yet have not signed the petition !

Mark
Isn't that the role of a Nay-Sayer , to never be productive. Anyhow I have signed the petition.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
duck!