Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #31
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
They don't want to waste the resources needed to ship a stylus in every box when they know people are either not going to use it, or have their preferred stylus already. It's the same thing with the keyboard.

Like someone else said, it doesn't have an eraser, and there are no buttons. At that price, you can get a stylus that does. A lot of people aren't going to like typing on that keyboard either.

They probably KNOW that a lot of people won't buy the iPad Pro. But there's still a lot of money to be made with the people who will.
I don't really disagree with what you say but MS included a Stylus with all their editions and they got slammed by almost every review site for not including the keyboard as well.
If it only runs iOS9 then it's essentially a giant iPad. The base model ($800) only comes with 32GB of RAM. In 2016! I can see some people on the fringe buying it but it doesn't seem like a solution that most consumers are even asking for or one that will suit the needs of businesses.
Canuck_in_Japan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #32
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Apple iPad Pro announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The key to the Corporate environment is in-house client Apps.

Those run on Windows.

On Oracle.

On SQL.

Any of those run on iOS?

It is a bigger iPad.

It might be faster than the small iPads.

It might even be useful for some individuals in business.

But corporate IT? Those people take years to switch Windows versions!

Switching to a new OS?

Really?

I'm not holding my breath.

SQL DBA here.

And that's one of the reason why I can't fully replace my MacAir. In fact, I run parallels on it so I can use Windows, RDP to my servers and use MSSQL.

You can argue that you can RDP and run native Win Os apps from a. iPad but that's a huge hassle, at least for me, not to mention the lack of keyboard.

Now, to read PDFs and browse the web or YouTube, my iPad Air shines and I prefer it to my MacAir.

By the way... Oracle runs on Windows but "run for your life" is you see any decent shop/DBA running Oracle on Windows :-) ... Oracle should only run on Linux. But that's a different topic.

Last edited by jocampo; 09-09-2015 at 09:37 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #33
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Those run on Windows.
On Oracle.
On SQL.
Any of those run on iOS?

It is a bigger iPad.
It might be faster than the small iPads.
It might even be useful for some individuals in business.
But corporate IT? Those people take years to switch Windows versions!
Switching to a new OS?

Really?
I'm not holding my breath.
Not just Windows. I am sure some of these things run on OSX.

The key is that nothing runs on iOS, even if it did by some unusual chance run on OSX.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:05 PM   #34
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
It seems to be placed to compete with Microsoft's Surface.
I'm not really sure how it competes with the Surface 3. Slightly larger screen, but 32GB memory vs 128GB for same price in the Surface, and you get a full OS not a phone OS on the Surface and the Surface is less dollars. Heck, you could get the 128GB version, the pen and keyboard (both extras) for less money.
As someone not in the video/music industry, I would have to think the "pros" that are in the Apple eco-system are going to be heavy storage users (i.e. video editing) so 32GB seems really small. What if any additional storage options are available?
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:37 PM   #35
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I bought a Surface 3 in August to replace my ipad Air (which hubby now has), I could have waited for a Surface pro 4 but I didn't want a 12 inch screen. I just can't imagine who will want a giant ipad and why anyone would pay the money Apple are asking for it plus a keyboard and a pencil.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2015, 12:01 AM   #36
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I've a Note pro and I love the big screen and stylus combination, I think Apple will do better with this than many think.

There are going to be loads of designers and Artists who want one, also the big screen is great for most other things, ironically though I'd say the one downside is actually reading it's not going to be a lie down in bed device more of a prop it on a table one.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:51 AM   #37
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Logitech has a keyboard ready for it. Looks much better than the Apple one (IMO).

http://blog.logitech.com/2015/09/09/...-for-ipad-pro/
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:55 AM   #38
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I bought a Surface 3 in August to replace my ipad Air (which hubby now has), I could have waited for a Surface pro 4 but I didn't want a 12 inch screen. I just can't imagine who will want a giant ipad and why anyone would pay the money Apple are asking for it plus a keyboard and a pencil.
I can definitely see the market, and not just for artists. The ease of reading scientific PDFs, and also the potential to use this in landscape mode in Split View (reading/researching one side, taking notes on the other), gives this the potential for a big role in the student/grad student/academic market. My partner, a scientist, abandoned his laptop long ago to make his iPad (4th gen) his primary device. There's an oldish iMac at home for a large-file storage dump and for whatever tasks can't be accomplished on the iPad, but it doesn't get much use. The weight of this substantially larger-screen device is barely more than the iPad 4.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:11 AM   #39
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I can definitely see the market, and not just for artists. The ease of reading scientific PDFs, and also the potential to use this in landscape mode in Split View (reading/researching one side, taking notes on the other), gives this the potential for a big role in the student/grad student/academic market. My partner, a scientist, abandoned his laptop long ago to make his iPad (4th gen) his primary device. There's an oldish iMac at home for a large-file storage dump and for whatever tasks can't be accomplished on the iPad, but it doesn't get much use. The weight of this substantially larger-screen device is barely more than the iPad 4.
For that kind if money I'd much rather have a proper operating system.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:19 AM   #40
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Sure. Some need a full desktop-style OS for their day-to-day work; some don't.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:23 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Those run on Windows.
On Oracle.
On SQL.
Any of those run on iOS?
Certainly in the company I work for, all our internal applications are web-based, so all a user needs to access them is a device with a web browser. Yes, they use SQL, but on the server, not the client.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:58 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's a different market. I paid more for my iPad than for my laptop and was happy to do so. I have a Surface Pro, but use it as an ultra-portable laptop, not as a tablet. For me it's too heavy and has too short a battery life to make a good tablet. I do pretty much all the work (other than essay writing) for my degree course, however, on my iPad.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:25 AM   #43
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
It's an overpriced underdeveloped Surface RT clone for people who generally swallow anything. And I say that as the satisfied owner and user of an iPad Air (for reading and some on the go typing, sometimes with a Logitech cover).
The thing is, when I think about how iOS often inconveniences me for moderately complicated tasks, I cannot find the idea of paying more just to be further inconvenienced attractive...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:31 AM   #44
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I can see how it would be useful for some people but I'm genuinely curious to see just how much of a market there is for it. Unless it's embraced by the business world, I see it doing Apple Watch numbers which I don't think would be seen as a success by any measure.
Canuck_in_Japan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:35 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

@johnnyb,

If you're satisfied with your iPad Air (and I'm very happy with my Air 2), can you not accept that there are people who have a wish for a similar device with a larger screen? With the greatest respect, I don't think it's fair to compare iOS with Windows RT; iOS has a huge range of applications available, and many people these days find that an iPad (or Android equivalent) meets all their computing requirements.