Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
DiamondDave
Enthusiast
DiamondDave began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Child-friendly browsing on NOOK HD?

Can anyone recommend a solution for child-friendly web browsing on the NOOK HD?

Things I've tried:

Chrome. The Android Chrome browser doesn't allow extensions, which could provide a solution.
Firefox. There is FoxFilter, but it's not compatible with the version of Firefox available in the Google Play store
Ranger Pro Safe Browser. Crashes immediately.
Norton Family. Didn't seem to block anything; has to be restarted every time you change profiles.
Funamo: Didn't seem to block anything.
Qustodio: Crashed and could not be removed due to administrator settings.
McAfee. I don't think it worked either.

Another thing: without being able to access the administrator settings, a lot of these apps are impossible to remove.

Has anyone found a solution that works, that will allow my seven-year-old to safely use the internet with my worrying about him coming across an inappropriate site?

Thanks.
DiamondDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
DiamondDave
Enthusiast

No one?
Advert
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You don't want an extension -- those can be easily uninstalled.

The app a number of my friends have on their phones is called Android Parental Control. Unfortunately, Google Play is, well, blocked on the school computers, so I can't research it.

I did find a few results on Google for Parental Control, though:

http://www.androidpit.com/Top-Parent...ps-for-Android
http://getandroidstuff.com/7-best-fr...-control-apps/
http://mamabearapp.com/parental-control-apps-android/
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures...trol-apps.html

You can see if any of these work properly.

If you only have to worry about them using your home WiFi, you might want to set up OpenDNS which can be installed in your router.

On their website they claim to be used by one in three schools in the U.S. to provide filtering. I can definitely confirm that my school uses it. It's very effective.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-19-2013 at 09:41 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
DiamondDave
Enthusiast

Thanks--I'll give it a try!
Old 12-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've got profiles set up on my Nook HD for the kidlets (ages 5 and 8) with various books and games for them, but no internet access for them.

Perhaps using the guest account on the wireless router and just allowing outbound access to whatever sites you pre-approve?
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I've got profiles set up on my Nook HD for the kidlets (ages 5 and 8) with various books and games for them, but no internet access for them.

Perhaps using the guest account on the wireless router and just allowing outbound access to whatever sites you pre-approve?
Speaking of which, there must be a way to configure OpenDNS only on the guest WiFi network.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote