Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
paulrw
Enthusiast
paulrw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Kindle Oasis, iPhone, iPad, PC
spaces introduced into middle of words in PDF conversion

When converting a PDF document, some words have spaces randomly inserted in them. Every instance of a word is not affected, and it does not look like ligatures (e.g. one example is "t he"). This occurs with every way I can find to convert the document, EXCEPT sending it to Amazon for conversion, where it is converted correctly. This seems to indicate that I am missing something about the PDF - I would welcome suggestions.
paulrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
In a PDF each word and sometimes letter is individually placed on the page. Some will be better than others depending on how the page was produced and if there were any edits performed on the page and other factors. One technique that sometimes works is to print the document to a PDF printer. There are some free ones out there and then convert that. Otherwise the best technique is to OCR the pages and correct any errors. A PDF is an end use document. It is not a source file and cannot reliably be converted to anything else. Some times it will work but another document will fail.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert