Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-02-2022, 06:09 AM   #1
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Welcome to the new iteration of the New Mobileread Book Club

Here's the new iteration of the new Mobileread book club

We don't have a fixed schedule or a specific person running the club. If you want to start a book discussion, you can use this tag, and pick the book any way you want -- using the same procedure as last year, with a nomination thread for a specific genre or theme followed by a voting thread, or some other way.

This thread can be used for ideas, suggestions, and anything else that people want to say about the book club.

Here's the previous main thread for this book club, and all posts tagged with New MRBC.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:41 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
So for a theme, I was thinking "Fictional Myths". It would be a spin on myths.

YA comes to my mind first, for example:

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel Series by Michael Scott
Rick Riorden - he has several series based on Greek, Egyptian mythology

Or The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood.

Or maybe supernatural spin on a classic like, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

I'm not thinking historical fiction, unless it has a supernatural element.

What do you think? I would be glad to run the club for the month.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2022, 12:12 PM   #3
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So for a theme, I was thinking "Fictional Myths". It would be a spin on myths.

YA comes to my mind first, for example:

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel Series by Michael Scott
Rick Riorden - he has several series based on Greek, Egyptian mythology

Or The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood.

Or maybe supernatural spin on a classic like, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

I'm not thinking historical fiction, unless it has a supernatural element.

What do you think? I would be glad to run the club for the month.
Other options could include Madeline Miller's Circe or Song of Achilles or Colm Toibin's House of Names.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:21 PM   #4
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like this theme a lot!

Would you also consider retellings of fairytales relevant for this theme, like Aster Glenn Gray's The Wolf and the Girl, Jim C. Hines' Princesses series, and T.Kingfisher's The Raven and the Reindeer?
Old 01-20-2022, 02:24 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I like this theme a lot!

Would you also consider retellings of fairytales relevant for this theme, like Aster Glenn Gray's The Wolf and the Girl, Jim C. Hines' Princesses series, and T.Kingfisher's The Raven and the Reindeer?
The princess series sounds like good fit from the blurb and something I would vote for.

The raven and the reindeer fits the criteria. But personally, I'm not at all familiar with the original story.

As for The Wolf and the Girl, It mentions Little Red Riding Hood, but I don't really see the connection. Sounds like a marketing idea to try and sell more copies.

But I would always fall back to letting nominations and voting decide.
Advert
Old 01-20-2022, 02:27 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer

And as far as when I said "what do you think", I was looking more for people posting and saying they would participate.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:08 PM   #7
hildea
Wizard

I'll participate, in case that was not clear
Old 01-20-2022, 03:24 PM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I'll participate, in case that was not clear
I thought it was implied.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:29 PM   #9
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And as far as when I said "what do you think", I was looking more for people posting and saying they would participate.
Depends on what is chosen for me. I am also starting a week long trial on Monday, so I'll be underwater for a bit.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:06 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The theme doesn't immediately appeal to me--supernatural is generally a turnoff--but, like astrangerhere, my participation would depend on what book is chosen.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:55 PM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer

And by participate, I mean nominate and/or vote and/or read and/or discuss.

It would be run like the traditional book club:nominate, vote, read, discuss.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:37 AM   #12
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The theme doesn't immediately appeal to me--supernatural is generally a turnoff--but, like astrangerhere, my participation would depend on what book is chosen.
It doesn't appeal to me either. I have another idea for a theme. How about Books about Books? Books like Geraldine Brook's 'People of the Book' come to mind. I just purchased the Kristen Harmel's 'The Book of Lost Names'. It's a deal of the day today at amazon.

Unfortunately I don't have time to run a poll. We're in the middle of planning a move, having a house built, etc. I hardly have time to read lately. I just thought I'd recommend another theme to consider.

Edit: I think we maybe long ago had this as a theme.

Last edited by drofgnal; 01-30-2022 at 05:39 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote