Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #46
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Not quite understanding your meaning.
Are you saying that the PRST1 sets the standard?

My T1 reads all kinds of ugly public domain books(poorly formatted, nonstandard fonts, etc.) and sometimes chokes on books that appear perfect downloaded from library or stores using ADE or Sony reader software.

My other Sony readers have no problem with these books.

Given the fact that many software glitches are still present on the T1 I think it is a little presumptious to put the entire blame on the epub file.
That is not what I am saying. What I am saying that there are standards as defined by the idpf. An ePUB creator should abide those standards and readers should follow those specifications. That means that if an ePUB is according to the specifications, it should work as intended.
As soon as an ePUB deviates from the standards, all bets are off. In case of a deviation it is wrong to say that the reader is faulty, since it is the ePUB. That some readers have a fault tolerance is nice, but the less tolerance the better. Some creators will actually abuse those tolerances.

I am not saying the PRS-T1 is perfect or that it sets the standard. What I am saying that if all readers can read an ePUB that is not according to the specifications but the PRS-T1 cannot, the PRS-T1 is not to blame. The one at fault is than the ePUB.

I don't know if that is the case, since I don't know the ePUB.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #47
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I had some problems with some of the many books I have down loaded and installed on my T1. I normally side load books with Calibre making easy to sort books by date added to library. Remove last 10 or 100 then see if it starts working. Most of the problem books but not all came from Google.

With many books trying to page through book or collections the reader will lock up trying to display book covers, so set it to display book lists without covers gets it working again with more than 2,000 books.

Great thing about T1 even on home page unreadable book cover is not a problem leaving you guessing name of books because each cover has easily readable caption with title and author.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #48
i, Podius
Enthusiast
i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Dell Axim x51v, Bookeen CyBook Gen 3, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
This issue is very rare for most people, and I'm surprised that it is so frequent for you. Have you checked that you have upgraded your firmware to the latest version? There were several issues with the initial release that caused frequent problems but those have been fixed. Maybe you need to do a hard reset or reformat the disk to cleanup it up and start new.
Yes, my PRS-T1 has firmware version 1.0.04.12210 on it, which is the latest version, as far as I can tell from the Sony site.
It fixed the rapid-page-flipping problem that I and a lot of other people used to have, but the randomly-skipping-to-another-part-of-the-book problem remained. I'll try hard resetting and reformatting, but one of the annoying things about this bug is that you can't reproduce it on demand - it happens seemingly at random, and once you've quit the book/restarted/whatever, it doesn't happen in the same place as it did before. But I read a lot, so I'm sure if it's still happening after I try your suggestions, I'll see it again soon enough...
i, Podius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:24 AM   #49
redneck eyeball
redneck eyeball began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by i, Podius View Post
but the randomly-skipping-to-another-part-of-the-book problem remained. I'll try hard resetting and reformatting, but one of the annoying things about this bug is that you can't reproduce it on demand - it happens seemingly at random, and once you've quit the book/restarted/whatever, it doesn't happen in the same place as it did before.
This bug is still present on the T2, happened to me last night.
I swiped to get the next page and I ended up about 30 pages earlier in the book.
redneck eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #50
hazel7797
hazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS 350, Kobo Mini 2012
Sony PRS 350

My Sony prs350 reader skips pages, even on purchased books that read fine with Moon Reader Pro on my Android tablet! I purchase the Kindle format (as they are the cheapest on Amazon), then convert them to epub in Calibre and transfer to my PRS 350 via Calibre.
hazel7797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert