Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #31
ethan160222
ethan160222 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi, Kindle Touch
Gluggy,

Is there a workaround to allow it to open .AZW files rather than renaming them to .MOBI?
ethan160222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #32
gluggy
gluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfolded

Device: none
ethan, please download V0.14 again. I just updated it to allow users to open .azw files too.

Most of my files are in .mobi, so I haven't done much testing on .azw.
gluggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #33
ethan160222
ethan160222 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi, Kindle Touch
Thanks!

I'll try it out tonight. I've used your tool to read the headers on several purchased and several library books with the intention of using Shinew's X-Ray Generator; I have not tried to modify any headers.
ethan160222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #34
R. Scot Johns
Author/Illustrator
R. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with others

Device: iPad 2 & 3, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 1 & 2, HD7 & HD8.9, RazrMax
I'm having the same issue as willthethrill521. Done all the same things and followed all your tips and instructions. Still shows up in docs tab on the Fire. Any chance this is an issue with KF8 fixed layout, or have you had it work okay with that?

For the record I have deleted the book-type metadata, as that allows fixed layout KF8 to have live text. Don't know if this matters, but thought I'd mention it.
R. Scot Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #35
gluggy
gluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfolded

Actually, I haven't done any testing with KF8. Maybe that's the problem. Do you have any non-KF8 files?
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #36
R. Scot Johns
Author/Illustrator
R. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with othersR. Scot Johns plays well with others

Actually, I just tried the Kindle User's Guide, which shows up under docs somewhat surprisingly, and no change. Re-opened the file and double-checked the 501/EBOK entry and it's there now (was absent before).

I've opened several files and have yet to actually see a 501 line entry already there. I always have to add it in, so perhaps it's something to do with that.

I also tried a non-fixed layout kf8, by the way, and no luck with that either. I have no idea.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #37
gluggy

I think you're onto something. I downloaded a sample KF8 file, and it showed up in Documents even after I added a 501 EBOK entry.

Maybe 501 is ignored for KF8?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #38
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@gluggy: Thanks for the tool, pretty nifty and useful.

Do you think you could include support for modifying the 404 entry (TTS flag)? That's a binary setting (0/1).

I have locally patched my version to support this, and it's working fine. If you want, I can send you the modified source, but it's a horrible hack at the moment (i.e.: working, but absolutely not production-quality).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #39
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Do you think you could include support for modifying the 404 entry (TTS flag)? That's a binary setting (0/1).
There have been reports that some versions of Amazon's DRM scheme include the TTS flag's value. In other words, if you change it the file becomes unreadable. I agree, however, that allowing TTS should be an option, particularly since Amazon itself said that TTS does not require permission from the publisher
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #40
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I noticed this after posting: if you merely want to allow TTS on a file without DRM, then it's sufficient to simply remove the 404 EXTH record. So I guess my request is only really useful if you want to prohibit TTS.

I haven't checked any of this with DRM'd files.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #41
gluggy

Thanks for the suggestion, ixtab.

I've sent you a PM. Could you please test out that version? I don't have a TTS-capable Kindle, so I can't test tell if the change works.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:15 AM   #42
gluggy

A few folks have asked me for the source code to the editor.

Up till now, I haven't made the source available because this started off as a quick and dirty hack, and the code is really ugly and disorganized. I've been meaning to clean this up before making the source available.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll have much time to do this going forward. So I'm just going to release the source in its present form.

You can now get the source from github at:
https://github.com/gluggy/Java-Mobi-Metadata-Editor
Old 04-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #43
willthethrill521
M!77!@W
willthethrill521 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle fire
@R. Scot Johns

Did you happen to find out what the issue was with the mobi showing up in Docs instead of Books???
I have been testing it and still no luck.
Would be interested to hear about your findings.
willthethrill521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #44
willthethrill521
M!77!@W
willthethrill521 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle fire
OK, so I called Amazon support. They basically said that any personal documents in kf8 go into the docs folder, but when the mobi file is uploaded to Amazon for sale to the public then the buyer will view the mobi in books instead.
Just as a safety precaution I will add the 501 EBOK anyways
willthethrill521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #45
R. Scot Johns
Author/Illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by willthethrill521 View Post
OK, so I called Amazon support. They basically said that any personal documents in kf8 go into the docs folder, but when the mobi file is uploaded to Amazon for sale to the public then the buyer will view the mobi in books instead.
Just as a safety precaution I will add the 501 EBOK anyways
This is essentially the conclusion I had come to, based on the fact that any files sideloaded to the device appear in DOCS, while only books I've purchased show up in the BOOKS tab, regardless of the EBOK state. This is true for either mobi or kf8.

Tags
k5 tools, mobi metadata, mobi metadata editor, mobi2mobi