Organisation of ebooks in "Libraries".
Rating of Books
Barcode-Scanner for the ISBN
Child Protection Password
Author Based Automatic Book Organisation
Tagging System
A simple epub editor
Printing

What of those features is the most/least important to you?

Is there any feature you want to see in an ebook management system?

Thank you for helping out!

Last edited by StudentTuWien; 11-10-2014 at 02:56 PM.
StudentTuWien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Most of those features are already available in Calibre. The barcode, child protection and printing are the only features you mention that I don't see already available. Perhaps an online version of such an app might be good. So that people could search out a given ebook that they own easier than they can at the present.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Why do you need a barcode scanner for an eBook?

Depending on where you live, printing the eBook itself may be illegal.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Most of those features are already available in Calibre. The barcode, child protection and printing are the only features you mention that I don't see already available. Perhaps an online version of such an app might be good. So that people could search out a given ebook that they own easier than they can at the present.
Actually, printing is available from Calibre from the previewer. A plugin could could probably be written pretty easily to generate barcodes and insert them into the metadata based on whatever criteria you want to use (ISBN? ASIN? Author+Title+Series?) Since I'm not sure what is meant by "child protection" I can't tell if that's something that is feasible to do using a plugin. I guess you could create a custom column with a certain flag and write a plugin that would hide books with that flag from being shown unless a special password is entered. Is that what is meant by "child protection"?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Actually, printing is available from Calibre from the previewer. A plugin could could probably be written pretty easily to generate barcodes and insert them into the metadata based on whatever criteria you want to use (ISBN? ASIN? Author+Title+Series?) Since I'm not sure what is meant by "child protection" I can't tell if that's something that is feasible to do using a plugin. I guess you could create a custom column with a certain flag and write a plugin that would hide books with that flag from being shown unless a special password is entered. Is that what is meant by "child protection"?

Shari
Interesting. I didn't know that. Of course I think one of the great advantages of ebooks is they are easier to store since there isn't a physical book to deal with so I don't need to do much printing anyway.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Honestly, in view of the fact that everything on your list can be accomplished by a currently available (and free) application, I wonder if you guys actually read any ebooks.

And I don't understand how an ebook bar code reader would work, either.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
I always imagined a barcode scanner on a barnes and noble device. Go book browsing in a brick and mortar store, scan a books barcode and buy the ebook on your device.
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Barcode scanning already works in calibre, too.

Connect a barcode scanner go to Add Books, select the option for importing a list of ISBNs, and start scanning ISBNs, which will print out like a keyboard, with isbn numbers spat out separated by line breaks.

calibre will even pull metadata from online sources.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Also there is the Extract ISBN plugin.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:24 AM   #10
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
If you want to write an application with some use, how about an app to insert a photograph and pen input into existing book and comic book formats. One that has versions for most tablet and phone operating systems.

The purpose would be to insert pictures and autographs as watermarking at digital book signings.
I would like to see autographed books go digital.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:39 AM   #11
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Barcode scanning already works in calibre, too.

Connect a barcode scanner go to Add Books, select the option for importing a list of ISBNs, and start scanning ISBNs, which will print out like a keyboard, with isbn numbers spat out separated by line breaks.

calibre will even pull metadata from online sources.
I use Goodreads' Android app to scan the barcodes of paper books; Goodreads, in turn, communicates with Calibre.

Last edited by Froide; 11-11-2014 at 02:43 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:28 AM   #12
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Honestly, in view of the fact that everything on your list can be accomplished by a currently available (and free) application, I wonder if you guys actually read any ebooks.

And I don't understand how an ebook bar code reader would work, either.
This sounds like a homework project.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #13
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
I use Goodreads' Android app to scan the barcodes of paper books; Goodreads, in turn, communicates with Calibre.
I keep meaning to do this. I have a lot of paper books I want to get rid if and I'd like to have a record of what I had.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #14
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Depending on where you live
Trying to guess I say Austria, as the handle translates to:
StudentTechnicalUniversityVienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
If you want to write an application with some use*, how about an app to insert a photograph and pen input into existing book and comic book formats. (...) The purpose would be to insert pictures and autographs as watermarking at digital book signings.
I would like to see autographed books go digital.
*) instead of reinventing the wheel you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
This sounds like a homework project.
wouldn't bet against that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Amen to that.

Last edited by Freeshadow; 11-11-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #15
StudentTuWien
StudentTuWien began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you for all your input!

I don't know what you mean by Homework project, but yes it is for a course we take this term.

I would love to make an Android App, but the course administration said no, because we have a fixed set of technologies we have to use.

And regarding the legal stuff, our application will only allow to search for books in the public domain.

The project got already accepted, but thanks you for your suggestions Froide.
StudentTuWien is offline   Reply With Quote