Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 02:34 AM   #1
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Exclamation Help my Kindle (3) is suffering from bad long term memory (MP3 audiobooks only)

Hey mates, I trust you have a nice day.

Anyway, as the title suggests my Kindle has acquired the bad habit of, seemingly, spontaneously forgetting where I left off from after listening to audiobooks in the MP3 format, and it's important to note that this phenomenon has not happened with any books of mine as of yet.

It do actually remembers it short term, but sometimes, more often than not, after it has been turned off for sometimes it forgets it completely.

I haven't pinpointed exactly what triggers the memory wipe, but I'll try to make some tests to see if I can reproduce the event. It has happened a lot, though.

If anyone has encountered anything like it or has some suggestions to what might solve the problem, I'll be most greatful.

Thanks !
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:39 AM   #2
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Sometimes it helps to synchronize your Kindle, or (weird as it is) to reset the time on the Kindle. Did you try a reboot?
Is your Kindle in an unlightened cover? Try to take it out of it and see it that solves your problem.

Last edited by desertblues; 01-24-2011 at 02:41 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 03:11 AM   #3
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

@ desertblues

Yes, I have tried to reset, also with a sync, but I think that you are on to something with the cover. Yes, I'm indeed using one of those covers without a light device, and I have been having spontaneous resets, though I used sandpaper on the hinges, which have indeed lessen the problem a good 95 %, but very rarely it does still reset, though.

I have a new cover on the way, but I'll try to use it without it and see what happens.

Cheers !
Old 01-25-2011, 05:19 AM   #4
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I use the Audiobook folder to run MP3 podcasts (in my case, BBC radio programmes) because this gives you better control over their playback than having them play like music in the background. But I have never been able to get the Kindle to remember where I left off -- so obviously this is a common problem?
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Alas, the cover wasn't the origin of the problem, I have found. I been listening to an audiobook on and off since yesterday evening, without my said cover. But just a few moments ago I wanted to continue only to find that my altheimer struck Kindle had yet again had a memory failure. My books has been spared like all the other times this has happened.

But luckily I was only 1.5 hours into it, so it would ''only'' take about, well, a very long time to get to where I left off in the track with the Kindle's lack of control in that depertment...

I do have other means of playing an audiobook, but I'm still very frustrated about this.

@ terencek

This doesn't quite seem like the same problem I'm encounting, well, it's worse alright, but if the origin of 'em are the same, I have no idea.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 01-25-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Advert

Tags
kindle. mp3. audiobooks.