Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #31
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Supermarket sent me replacement eggs with 10 inch color eInk screen and full Size QWERTY keyboard on each egg, Unlimited battery life, and No eyestrain, Also added 3d Video playback and surround sound on the eggs, and charging no more than for " Normal " eggs,

Not tried them to see if you can still read the " Times Color Supplement " on them after you've scrabled the eggs !!!!
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #32
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
The eggs also run Windows Phone 7, Android and Linux all switchable on startup, 500Gb Hard drive on each egg, plus all SD cards accepted by the card slot, can now run Mobi, ePub, PDF fully running,

Taste good Sunny Side Up too !
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #33
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
But the fact of the matter is: with multi-function, comes multi-problems. You end up with a device that does many things half-assed and none of them well. That type of scenario should be avoided at all costs.
I read many Project Gutenberg books with pleasure on a Palm IIIxe PDA I bought roughly five years ago -- even though the device was not designed as an eReader. As I recall, the cost of this type of scenario, in like new condition, was around US$20.

Word processors are sold for cell phones, just as they were sold for Palm PDA's (see http://danbricklin.com/log/wordsmithreview.htm). I don't have the device at hand to fire up, but my memory is that those early Palm PDA's, like the K3, had a less than instant refresh rate. And keyboarding on the K3 is probably faster than entering Palm shorthand with a stylus. Not to mention that the K3 screen would be much better for word processing than the tiny low-resolution Palm screen.

Most people would not want to read books on a low-resolution Palm PDA, but somehow I did not mind. Most people would not have need for a word processor on a mobile eInk device, but if someone, some day, can put food on their table with the revenue from selling such software, I say good for them.

As far as I can tell, the main reason that the K3 is not seen as a multi-purpose device is that Amazon, for reasons unknown, seems to be limiting distribution of its systems development kit (SDK) to game software companies.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #34
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I read many Project Gutenberg books with pleasure on a Palm IIIxe PDA I bought roughly five years ago -- even though the device was not designed as an eReader. As I recall, the cost of this type of scenario, in like new condition, was around US$20.
My first PDA was a Handspring Visor Deluxe. One of the apps available for it was GutenPalm, later renamed to WeaselReader. It was intended for reading plain text Project Gutenberg files on the PDA, and had features like skipping over the lengthy PG boilerplate at the start of each file. WeaselReader still exists, and the developer is working on an Android port.

Quote:
Word processors are sold for cell phones, just as they were sold for Palm PDA's (see http://danbricklin.com/log/wordsmithreview.htm). I don't have the device at hand to fire up, but my memory is that those early Palm PDA's, like the K3, had a less than instant refresh rate.
They were low res (160x160) mono backlit screens. Refresh rate was instantaneous for practical purposes. They were certainly fast enough to keep up with keyboard input.

Quote:
And keyboarding on the K3 is probably faster than entering Palm shorthand with a stylus. Not to mention that the K3 screen would be much better for word processing than the tiny low-resolution Palm screen.
I got, and still use, WordSmith for PalmOS. It was the best tool I found for creating text on the PDA. There were programs like Documents to Go and QuickOffice that would let you view and edit Microsoft Word documents, but they assumed the document had been created on a PC, and you just wanted to view it and make minor changes on the PDA. WordSmith had a full range of editing capabilities and a good spell checker. It worked on converted RTF files, and since every word processor could handle those, you weren't stuck with Word on the PC. Use it with a folding keyboard and you had a good portable writing solution. (SF author Robert Sawyer wrote several novels with WordSmith on his Sony Clie Palm OS device.)

Quote:
Most people would not want to read books on a low-resolution Palm PDA, but somehow I did not mind. Most people would not have need for a word processor on a mobile eInk device, but if someone, some day, can put food on their table with the revenue from selling such software, I say good for them.
I had no problem reading books on the low res screen, and have no problem reading them now on my current PalmOS device with a hi-res color screen.

I wouldn't want to use a word processor on an eInk device, as the refresh rate would make it problematic, but if your needs are moderate I can see it being useful.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
And as I said in my post... I have no problem with Amazon making such a device (or app). I just don't want it. More power to them if they want to move towards a multi-function, android based type eReader/tablet thingy. They just won't get my repeat business when my K2 breaks.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #36
dvhh
Enthusiast
dvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cow_trix View Post
Is there any way to word process on the Kindle 3? I've been looking around but I can't find anything. If there isn't - why the hell not? It would seriously like quadruple the amount I use it.
I really depends on the level of word processing you are wishing for. As one of the first reversed "reversed engineer" written kindlet is a very volatile notepad, I made a small modification to make it slightly more useful (One permanent buffer), I plan to extend it to be able to make multiple files but it is still a notepad with its trouble ("sym" popup cannot for now being repositioned, and no scrollbars), and it requires you to "jailbreak" your kindle.
dvhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #37
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
More power to them if they want to move towards a multi-function, android based type eReader/tablet thingy. They just won't get my repeat business when my K2 breaks.
The degree to which the current devices are multi-function seems to me primarily determined by the creativity of third-party developers,* rather than Amazon. Amazon can try to hold them back by restricting distribution of its software development kit, and they are to an extent.

Right now, when I, in the US, go to the Kindle store on amazon.com, and sort by bestselling, the top items, other than Kindle hardware, are games. So the multi-function cat is already out.

As for repeat business, hopefully hardware cost will go down to the point that they can give away black and white readers as a loss-leader for eBook and other content sales. If they can meet that price point, they defininely will get my repeat business

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-24-2010 at 12:06 AM.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #38
firehawk12
Enthusiast
firehawk12 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle 3
I wouldn't mind the ability to just write short little notes without having to go into a book and add a random note in there. Simpletext.ws seems like an okay solution though.
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #39
jellypie
jellypie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I came up with a simple way of using my Kindle as a word processor:
http://www.desktop-software-reviews....word-processor
jellypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #40
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
E-ink displays are capable of displaying video, though the chips that drive the display in the Kindle may not be able to do it. See a demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24srQXX81Oc. In the device shown, the hardware and software drivers can update a small portion of the screen instead of rewriting the whole thing. In the Kindle the progress bars that are displayed when rebooting or loading Duokan may be updated using localized addressing or may be done by refreshing the entire screen, so it's still hard to say what the driver chips in the Kindle can do.

To do any serious word processing you'd need a way to connect a keyboard and appropriate software support in the Kindle. Both seem unlikely to become available in the current hardware.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:17 PM   #41
kingerg
kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Sony prs-700, Kindle DX Graphite, Kindle Touch 3G
I just bought "Notepad (A Note Taking Tool for Kindle)" by 7 dragons. $0.99

I hope it does what a Notepad is supposed to do, or at least what's advertised to do:

"Notepad is a simple tool that lets you write and edit text notes on Kindle.

Write notes about any subject you wish, from meeting notes to grocery reminders. Jot down quick ideas, phone numbers and addresses, or remember that perfect gift for a special someone.

With Notepad, you can create or view a note with one of two different fonts, and in any of six different font sizes. Your notes can be sorted by date or alphabetically by title. Notepad also allows you to search for text in real-time within the body and title of your notes. Simply start typing in the word you are looking for, and Notepad instantly displays the notes that contain that word. This allows you to find anything you may have previously written, without having to browse through notes individually. "

Mhh... We'll see

http://www.amazon.com/Notepad/dp/B00...5601659&sr=1-1
kingerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:22 AM   #42
naypalm
Enthusiast
naypalm began at the beginning.

Device: K3G v3.1 jb
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128347
naypalm is offline   Reply With Quote