Notices

Old 04-05-2017, 12:15 AM   #16
Just some guy
Enthusiast
Just some guy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When a CSS as messy as that one, there's a very good chance that it will cause a problem with some Readers/programs/apps. Do you want to risk that? If you don't, then you'll have to learn CSS/HTML and fix that mess.

I learned by diving into CSS/HTML and just learning. Also, what I could not figure out, I search for to find out what's what.
The thing is that it's a one-time project, so, while I definitely try my very best to make it look like the existing paper version, I may have to cut a corner here and there.

I do try the file in various apps and it looks alright so far, but if people ultimately tells me it fails on several platforms I'll have to pay somebody to fix it.
Just some guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:03 AM   #17
Just some guy
Enthusiast

May I get back to my initial empty line-question?

I still have a line that I'd like to add some bottom space to (or just add an empty line to, if possible).

But it's not a style per se, so there's no option to modify the margin-bottom.

It looks like this:

<p class="Body-Text-3 ParaOverride-1"><span class="CharOverride-1"> snipped text </span></p>

I tried to add some code that I found in this forum:<p class="Ebook">&nbsp;</p> And it worked -- but I got a very dramatic response from http://validator.idpf.org.

I also tried a <br> again, but with the same result...

Please let me know if I ask too many questions.

EDIT: I think I found a way: I located another chunk of text that had the right amount of space around it (and also had an actual css-style attached to it), so I copied the surrounding code, pasted it around the problem and then added its corresponding style to the chapter, e.g:
<link href="css/idGeneratedStyles_6.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
That actually seems to work, and it's also accepted by Validator. So I hope it won't be an issue later on...

Last edited by Just some guy; 04-05-2017 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:32 AM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just some guy View Post
Well, 'lots of font' translates to around 6, I think. And everything looks like it should in Adobe, Sigil and Calibre. It also passes the validator-test. So I cross my fingers...

Yes, I'm very careful about everything related to IP and I only use fonts that I have written permission to use (and embed) commercially.
Great.
I have run across (personal use) K4 issues with mis-matched @font and the actual font
@font called for font-style Normal, font was Italic (was a display font)
Font displayed fine in the editor.
Was straight on the K4 until I fixed the @font style
I never won getting K4 to use the actual font face (a Google fonts download)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:37 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
But it's not a style per se, so there's no option to modify the margin-bottom.

It looks like this:

<p class="Body-Text-3 ParaOverride-1"><span class="CharOverride-1"> snipped text </span></p>

I tried to add some code that I found in this forum:<p class="Ebook">&nbsp;</p> And it worked -- but I got a very dramatic response from http://validator.idpf.org.

I also tried a <br> again, but with the same result...

Please let me know if I ask too many questions.

EDIT: I think I found a way: I located another chunk of text that had the right amount of space around it (and also had an actual css-style attached to it), so I copied the surrounding code, pasted it around the problem and then added its corresponding style to the chapter, e.g:
<link href="css/idGeneratedStyles_6.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
That actually seems to work, and it's also accepted by Validator. So I hope it won't be an issue later on...
That code snippit you posted is poor form. You don't need all that mess. That mishmash of classes is what's causing the problem.

Here is some neat code.

body {
widows: 1;
orphans: 1;
margin-top: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
text-align: justify;
}
p {
margin-top: .3em;
text-indent: 1.2em
}
.noindent {
text-indent: 0;
}

<p class="noindent">Start of the text</p>
<p>Some text</p>
<p>Some more text</p>
<p>Even more text but <i>some are in italics</i></p>

Now notice that you are getting a .3em paragraph space without the crud. All you have to do is change the margin in <p> in order to change the space.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-05-2017 at 04:44 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:55 AM   #20
Just some guy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That code snippit you posted is poor form. You don't need all that mess. That mishmash of classes is what's causing the problem.

Here is some neat code.

body {
widows: 1;
orphans: 1;
margin-top: 0;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
text-align: justify;
}
p {
margin-top: .3em;
text-indent: 1.2em
}
.noindent {
text-indent: 0;
}

<p class="noindent">Start of the text</p>
<p>Some text</p>
<p>Some more text</p>
<p>Even more text but <i>some are in italics</i></p>

Now notice that you are getting a .3em paragraph space without the crud. All you have to do is change the margin in <p> in order to change the space.
Thank you very much for your time! I'm not sure I understand all of it, but I do my best, and it's far more interesting than I thought in the first place. (Which is actually a bit scary since I didn't have any intentions of learning this. )

I wonder if I could ask a somewhat related question here ... I had a line of text that included empty spaces, like: "asdfkl sdfkjsdfl," but the spaces disappeared somewhere between InDesign and Calibre.

Is there any way of adding empty spaces between two characters? It's not the end of the world if it can't be done; it would just be nice.

As a work-around, I tried to change the text color into white, but then I realized I would need two styles within one line, because some characters would need to remain black, and I couldn't figure out how to do that. (Also, I assume that some people might read the book in some kind of reverse 'night-mode' which would expose my 'invisible' characters as white nonsense...)
Old 04-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #21
Just some guy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Great.
I have run across (personal use) K4 issues with mis-matched @font and the actual font
@font called for font-style Normal, font was Italic (was a display font)
Font displayed fine in the editor.
Was straight on the K4 until I fixed the @font style
I never won getting K4 to use the actual font face (a Google fonts download)
Sounds like the stuff nightmares are made of. I know I'll have to face a lot of that in the near future...
Old 04-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Sounds like the stuff nightmares are made of. I know I'll have to face a lot of that in the near future...
Only if you get complicated.
Jon's Stylesheet is plain SIMPLE. (Arnold at Webscriptions (Baen), used a similar one for years)

There is a lot to be said about K I S S
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just to note that if you have questions about ebook formatting, rather than using Calibre's editor, you'd be much better off (ie more people likely to help you) asking them in the "ePub" or "Kindle Formats" forum sections rather than here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #24
Just some guy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There is a lot to be said about K I S S
Why didn't anybody tell me when I wrote that book?

(Actually they did, but I knew better, yup.)
Old 04-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #25
Just some guy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just to note that if you have questions about ebook formatting, rather than using Calibre's editor, you'd be much better off (ie more people likely to help you) asking them in the "ePub" or "Kindle Formats" forum sections rather than here.
Thank you, HarryT. I've learned a lot here, but I'll try the ePUb section, too!
Old 04-05-2017, 10:28 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you, HarryT. I've learned a lot here, but I'll try the ePUb section, too!
Don't post the same thing in the epub forum, or you could get jumped on for duplicate posts.

If you want this thread moved there, click the '!' to the right of the 'KARMA' button on your opening post, and leave a message that you'd like the thread moved to the epub forum.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-05-2017 at 10:46 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:29 PM   #27
Just some guy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Don't post the same thing in the epub forum, or you could get jumped on for duplicate posts.

If you want this thread moved there, click the '!' to the right of the 'KARMA' button on your opening post, and leave a message that you'd like the thread moved to the epub forum.

BR
Oh, thank you! I actually just posted my secondary question (about adding spaces to a text) in the ePub section, because it was pretty much buried in this thread -- I don't know if that'll count as a duplicate post...
Old 04-06-2017, 01:08 AM   #28
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That'll be OK, I was worried you might cut and paste your original post in it's entirety.

Sometimes it's better to start separate threads for different questions, multi-threaded threads can be a bit hard to follow if you're not involved in the conversation, especially for those who find the thread via a search years later.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:00 PM   #29
Just some guy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
That'll be OK, I was worried you might cut and paste your original post in it's entirety.

Sometimes it's better to start separate threads for different questions, multi-threaded threads can be a bit hard to follow if you're not involved in the conversation, especially for those who find the thread via a search years later.

BR
Yeah, I shouldn't have asked a second question here, guess I got a little carried away.

Awesome Gertrude Stein quote, btw.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:29 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yeah, I shouldn't have asked a second question here, guess I got a little carried away.

Awesome Gertrude Stein quote, btw.
It's not that you should not have asked the second question here. It's that you should have started a new message for the second question.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote