Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #31
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I've always thought it strange that they don't have more consistency in their apps and what they offer across the board. It appears that there is a dev team for each app/program and they don't really talk.
I agree. No communication between various teams. At the very least they should have a coordinator for all the OS apps and device apps whose job it is to verify consistency. That is bad management in my opinion. They just let each team do their own thing. I'm guessing they re-invent the wheel very often!
Old 12-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #32
diamante
piedra preciosa
diamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Oasis 6", Kindle Voyage, Sony PRS-350, etc.
Question

Interesting thread. It's also strange that the dictionary capability on Fire devices is so limited compared to the iOS Kindle app, particularly in relation to adding custom/bilingual dictionaries. What could possibly be Amazon's reason for this? Limited development resources/giving iOS devices a higher priority than Amazon's own tablets?

A question about Moon Reader -- what are its dictionary capabilities compared to Kindle?
diamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #33
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamante View Post
Interesting thread. It's also strange that the dictionary capability on Fire devices is so limited compared to the iOS Kindle app, particularly in relation to adding custom/bilingual dictionaries. What could possibly be Amazon's reason for this? Limited development resources/giving iOS devices a higher priority than Amazon's own tablets?

A question about Moon Reader -- what are its dictionary capabilities compared to Kindle?
I use ColorDict with Moon and some stardict dictionaries that are available on the internet. Works pretty good.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:59 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Very poor. There are (to my knowledge) no decent commercial dictionaries available for it; just public domain stuff.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:50 AM   #35
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very poor. There are (to my knowledge) no decent commercial dictionaries available for it; just public domain stuff.
There are decent dictionaries if you Google StarDict Dictionaries you will find some but you will need the Colordict app installed which integrates into Moon+ and Mantano.

You will need to use winrar or 7zip to extract the *.dict file from the *.dz file inside the tarball zip. But you just move the three files *.dict, *.idx & *.ifo into the dictdata folder to use a stardict dictionary. I have a Webster 1913 installed on mine.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #36
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Interesting thread. It's also strange that the dictionary capability on Fire devices is so limited compared to the iOS Kindle app, particularly in relation to adding custom/bilingual dictionaries.
It should be possible to sideload custom dictionaries, if you replace one of the default monolingual dictionaries with a custom dictionary that has the same name and ASIN as the dictionary that you replace it with. (You can add/edit the ASIN with JMME.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
There are decent dictionaries if you Google StarDict Dictionaries you will find some but you will need the Colordict app installed which integrates into Moon+ and Mantano.
IIRC, the original StarDict website used to offer some (illegally converted) commercial Babylon dictionaries for download, before it was shut down, but none of the home-made StarDict dictionaries that I've see so far even remotely matches the quality of commercial dictionaries, except for some Latin and Ancient Greek dictionaries, which usually have a sufficient number of entries and inflection support.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #37
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
It should be possible to sideload custom dictionaries, if you replace one of the default monolingual dictionaries with a custom dictionary that has the same name and ASIN as the dictionary that you replace it with. (You can add/edit the ASIN with JMME.)

IIRC, the original StarDict website used to offer some (illegally converted) commercial Babylon dictionaries for download, before it was shut down, but none of the home-made StarDict dictionaries that I've see so far even remotely matches the quality of commercial dictionaries, except for some Latin and Ancient Greek dictionaries, which usually have a sufficient number of entries and inflection support.
They still do but I only grabbed the ones under GPL. The Webster Dictionary 1913 is PD and is really nice and I use it alot.