Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Start collecting hardcovers, or not?
Yes, it's nice to have a great collection of good books. 55 51.89%
No, if you're not reading them, you're wasting money. 51 48.11%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
How about instead buying a digital photo frame and loading it up with cover art from your e-book collection?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
True enough; if I would've continued to read and buy paperbacks in the last two years, I would have had a problem indeed. (I've been reading much more than in previous years, where I spent quite some time with other hobbies and/or obligations.)

While it'd be nice to have my own library, containing 10.000 books, there's no reason to. First, i don't have the room. Second, most of the books I read are not great literature. They're nice for entertainment, but not good enough to have around all the time.
Awwwwwwwwwwww.....this is someone who has actually bought a new HOUSE in order to shelve books, and still managed, somehow, to not have enough wall space for all of my "friends." I really can't imagine not being able to see my books along the walls. (yes: I own an eBook production company for a living. Running out of room for books was how I got into it.) I have Agatha Christies that are old enough to be grandparents in their own right, sitting alongside the latest Reacher or Davenport or whatever new sci-fi author I've stumbled across.

I don't buy 99.99% of my "new" books in paper...but I wouldn't give up my library for the world. I love it. It has many good purposes, not the least of which is the sense of peace it gives me to look at them. And, yes, they are a luxurious sound baffle in a house with stone floors and very high ceilings. I just wish I could afford to add more tall bookcases to the house!

My vote is, do whatever makes you happy. Seriously. Life is too damn short.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
How about instead buying a digital photo frame and loading it up with cover art from your e-book collection?
It's an interesting thought, but it's not really the same

And some books that would be in that bookcase will be read, as there's no other option, without going for illegal, badly-OCR'd versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
My vote is, do whatever makes you happy. Seriously. Life is too damn short.
Hitch
E-readers are the spawn of the devil :X

Same as you, I *love* hardcover books, but e-readers just have too many damn advantages.... as mentioned: portability, size, weight, illumination, custom fonts, and font sizes. The last three are just too good to pass up for someone with poor eyesight, such as me.

(I can read normal books just fine, obviously, but it's just easier/more convenient to read on current e-readers.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-17-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #19
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Life is indeed too damned short. You can plop your hardcovers next to my DVD collection, which won't see the light of day, either. When I keel over, they'll get sold for cents on the dollar at a yard sale.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #20
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I have a number of paper books (mostly hardback) that I'll never sell or give away, but I'm done collecting paper. I'll always have a small bookcase for my favorites, but it's ebooks all the way from this time on.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Life is indeed too damned short. You can plop your hardcovers next to my DVD collection, which won't see the light of day, either. When I keel over, they'll get sold for cents on the dollar at a yard sale.
Oh, hell, I'm not a hardcover bigot, either. I really do have paperbacks that are falling apart (Christie, usually), original signed copies of Dune, along with more recent Firsts that are signed along with third-hand copies of Dick Francis' books from his third-to-last publisher and then some. I have books nobody's ever heard of, even old Dr. Who paperbacks from probably the 4th Doctor (yes: the first time around, admittedly, they were sent to me when I was writing book reviews, but, hey....). I have Clutterbuck's Kidnap and Ransom next to Francis' book on K&R guys, due to the Hitch filing system (LOL). I have Du Maurier next to Sookie Stackhouse and Spider Robinson while The Soong Dynasty is co-habitating with Harry Dresden, for some reason.

It's a lifetime of voraciousness with 17 bankers' boxes of books sitting there, still waiting to find a home on shelves that take up an obscenely large amount of wallspace in the house. Still...I wouldn't trade most of them. I tried, I really did, doing the "used book" thing a million years ago and I found that I had trouble parting with them. {shrug}. I don't really collect anything else, and I'm not generally acquisitive. Except when it comes to books. I have, however, given up print altogether; I only have print come in to the house now when it's a gift and I can't dodge it (due to the aforementioned space issues). I love them, but I clearly need an Editions Anonymous 12-Step Program. eBooks only for me, now, and has been the case for the last 3-4 years.

Hitch
Old 06-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #22
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
At one time, I had several bookcases in my home for my hardcover book collection. But over the years, it has continuously been reduced. At this time, I have one small bookcase in my office of hardcover books. Times change. At one time, I also had an LP album collection, but today I do not have any. If I did not already have several hardcovers, I doubt if I would buy them today just to have them as a showcase. When I purchased the books, it was to read them and not to just showcase them.

So my vote in this case was No.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #23
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
What you are basically asking is, should I collect books or is it a waste of money if I don't read them?

Isn't all collecting, when it comes down to it, a waste of money? But it's about the pleasure that people get from choosing and adding items to their collection, looking at/sorting/rearranging their collection or whatever. Sure you can read, listen, play etc with your collection to get more joy out of it, but you don't have to.

If you have the money to do it, why not?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
What you are basically asking is, should I collect books or is it a waste of money if I don't read them?

Isn't all collecting, when it comes down to it, a waste of money? But it's about the pleasure that people get from choosing and adding items to their collection, looking at/sorting/rearranging their collection or whatever. Sure you can read, listen, play etc with your collection to get more joy out of it, but you don't have to.

If you have the money to do it, why not?
Wait...who's saying that they don't read them?

Hitch
Old 06-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #25
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As said, some of those books would be read, as there are no ebook versions. The poll is still almost even. You're all evil, because now I still can't make up my mind; it's mainly because of the cost of some of these books.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #26
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
As said, some of those books would be read, as there are no ebook versions. The poll is still almost even. You're all evil, because now I still can't make up my mind; it's mainly because of the cost of some of these books.
Oh no! I must redeem my good name and make a useful suggestion.

Let's take a step back. It's obvious that you don't have a bone-deep preference for a specific format. If you did this question wouldn't have come up. From the OP, it looks like you are mostly interested in the space saving?

If so, I'd just give away the books you don't want anymore, keep the ones you do want, and enjoy the increased space. Entertainment doesn't have to be useful or efficient.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #27
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
from a practical point of view, you should not buy anymore paper books unless they are not published in ebook format, since you have admitted that your children (should you have any) may not want them at all. the point of a library is that it will be enjoyed, either by yourself or others around you. if you can afford a library (picture four walls floor to ceiling full of books with a ladder on wheels) and you enjoy collecting books, then go for it. if not, then just devote the walls to other purposes.

there is one huge advantage to having paper books, though...you actually own what you buy. for digital products (ebook, music, audio book, etc.), the tech has already moved to the point where you really don't own the books you have purchased. kindle books purchased cannot be passed down to your heirs once you leave this earth. so in effect, purchases of digital products are in fact life-time rentals.

i'd me more content with buying multiple ereaders (think researching a dozen non-fiction reference books using a dozen ereaders). it's quite a different picture than having a dozen books open on a library table.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #28
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I'd never buy physical books I had no intention to read and even more so if I either have the ebook or plan to buy it. Then again, I don't buy paper books anymore with the exception of reference or gifts, so my opinion is biased.

People spend lots of money on ornaments for their home and if you like the look of a book shelf filled with hardbacks regardless of whether you're going to read them or not, don't let anyone talk you out of it
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #29
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
there is one huge advantage to having paper books, though...you actually own what you buy. for digital products (ebook, music, audio book, etc.), the tech has already moved to the point where you really don't own the books you have purchased. kindle books purchased cannot be passed down to your heirs once you leave this earth. so in effect, purchases of digital products are in fact life-time rentals.
I can pass down anything I wish, as I de-DRM everything as soon as I get it. As long as someone has a device that can read the file, it's fine.

Quote:
i'd me more content with buying multiple ereaders (think researching a dozen non-fiction reference books using a dozen ereaders). it's quite a different picture than having a dozen books open on a library table.
Like this? (OK, old image )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
People spend lots of money on ornaments for their home and if you like the look of a book shelf filled with hardbacks regardless of whether you're going to read them or not, don't let anyone talk you out of it
Good point.... my sister recently bought some sort of statue-like thing to put in the living room. For the money she paid, I think I could easily buy 30 or more new hardcovers. 50 or 60 or even more when buying second hand.

I'd choose the bookcase any time. Then it actually serves a purpose, should I fancy to actually read any of the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Oh no! I must redeem my good name and make a useful suggestion.

Let's take a step back. It's obvious that you don't have a bone-deep preference for a specific format. If you did this question wouldn't have come up. From the OP, it looks like you are mostly interested in the space saving?
Yes. I've got some books in hardcover already because I wanted to, while I have most as paperbacks to save space and money. The paperbacks are already being replaced by ebooks, which saves even more space and money. Most of my paperbacks are a one, maybe two times read. Some of my hardcovers I've read 5 times or more. (Uh. I confess. I habitually read Lord of the Rings once a year, starting at December 1. And then I watch all three movies. Yeah... sue me :X)

Quote:
Entertainment doesn't have to be useful or efficient.
Or cheap.... sometimes.

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-18-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #30
Julian Saheed
Julian Saheed began at the beginning.

Device: Asus TF300T
Many of you have mentioned that life is too short, just consider how short it could be if the bookcase full of your 100 new hardcover books tumbles down on top of you because it is overburdened!!

That being said. I'm all for walls full of books, despite the obvious advantages to ereaders.
Julian Saheed is offline   Reply With Quote