Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #31
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Has anyone else considered a Kindle Fire case? I've looked (only online) at the ones where the device is secured at the corners. The dimensions lead me to believe that one of these would work.

Anyone else tried this or considered it? Any negatives I've not considered?
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #32
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I ordered a sleeve from Amazon: FRIEQ® Super Bubble Neoprene Sleeve Case Cover with Built-in Stand for iPad Mini 7.9" /Kindle Fire HD 7"/Nexus 7 - Hot Pink

I am hoping it will fit well enough that I can use the Aura as pictured here:

If not, it still looks like a good, sturdy sleeve for protection. With the discount on the product page, it only came to $12.71.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #33
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Has anyone else considered a Kindle Fire case? I've looked (only online) at the ones where the device is secured at the corners. The dimensions lead me to believe that one of these would work.

Anyone else tried this or considered it? Any negatives I've not considered?
I've looked at device dimensions recently and the Aura is closer in size to the Nook HD 7" than the Kindle Fire 7"

Aura HD Kindle Fire Nook HD
175.7mm 189mm 194.4mm
128.3mm 120mm 127.1mm
11.7mm 11.4mm 11.0mm
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #34
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I ordered a sleeve from Amazon: FRIEQ® Super Bubble Neoprene Sleeve Case Cover with Built-in Stand for iPad Mini 7.9" /Kindle Fire HD 7"/Nexus 7 - Hot Pink

I am hoping it will fit well enough that I can use the Aura as pictured here:

If not, it still looks like a good, sturdy sleeve for protection. With the discount on the product page, it only came to $12.71.
That is a clever design. It should work for most devices in the 7" category. I just ordered one (blue) for my Nexus 7 -- thanks!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #35
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I ordered a Timbuk2 plush sleeve for a Kindle 3 (because it was cheap, i.e. nearly out of stock) and that does fit the Aura HD if you don't mind a bit of the velcro showing. Construction appears very nice, it's a tiny bit bulky, but less so than I was expecting.

However, the sleeve is not going to be protective against pressure on the e-ink screen (from say a cat pounce), so my Aura is back in its sleep cover for now.

The Timbuk2 sleeve went on my Kindle3, it's a cheap refurb I got for testing epub to mobi and azw3 conversions, so it only sits on a shelf most of the time, but needed a bit of protection.

Last edited by graycyn; 05-06-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: removed <br /><br />
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:18 AM   #36
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
lol mikeboards the oven mitts made my night.

pidgeon92, I love that case. The pink with the black is awesome. Let me know if it fits the Aura because I want to get it asap. It will hopefully be awesome for propping up the aura for reading in bed.

graycyn, cat pouncing on it is exactly what I have to protect it from as well as throwing it in a backpack for travelling. I have 3 cats here and they love to sometimes jump off my ereaders. It's better than having books around though because one cat will chew on anything paper when it's hungry to get me to feed it. I have quite a few covers semi-chewed off of my books.

johnsnow, the blackberry case looks good too. I didn't even know what it was the blackberry logo until you mentioned it.

The timbuk2 case looks fine as well.

Last edited by guitarizt; 05-07-2013 at 02:20 AM.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #37
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Several people asked about using covers for other devices. I tried several covers I've used in the past but the only one I have that sort of fits the Kobo Aura is one cover for the Sony PRS505.

The PRS505 is an older model but these covers are still available from m-edge. Mine is blue but there are about a half dozen colors.

http://www.medgestore.com/shop/prs505/go

As you can see, the Aura is a tight fit. Be warned that this type of cover tends to spring open unless you wrap a band around it. It can be bent over so the front cover is against the back cover and that tends to losen it up some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0619.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	843.7 KB
ID:	105535   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0620.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	754.9 KB
ID:	105536   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0625.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	599.7 KB
ID:	105537  
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #38
katytude
katytude began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I just picked a Tucano Navigo Universal 7" Tablet case at Best Buy for the Aura, it fits with room to spare.

Just needed some protection for taking the reader out of the home, I prefer to hold the Aura directly as I quite like the back of it so I was looking for a sleeve at first and found this case instead. It was $29 CAD.

Here's a video about it: http://youtu.be/BB7nbm9VJ4E

Hope it helps!

Best
Katy
katytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #39
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
That is a clever design. It should work for most devices in the 7" category. I just ordered one (blue) for my Nexus 7 -- thanks!
My Frieq case arrived yesterday and I am very pleased. The quality and build is excellent and, although I do not have one, I have no doubt the Aura will fit perfectly based on the dimensions. I have tried three devices, one 5 x 7 inches, another at 5 x 7.5 inches and a third (Nexus 7) at 4.75 x 7.75 inches. IMHO, any device longer/taller than 7.75 inches would require bending the case pretty far back to make use of the plastic tabs. It is a perfect fit (portrait mode) with an older Kindle Keyboard, which is approx 3/8 to 1/2 incher taller than the Aura and it fits perfectly. With a device width of 5 inches there will be approximately a 1/2 inch space on either side in the interior.

The color (blue) is accurate in comparison to product photos. I am very pleased with the case and would not hesitate recommending it -- especially for less than $13!

Edit: Forgot to add -- it comes packaged in a nice, clear vinyl zip lock case.

Last edited by Skydog; 05-08-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #40
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarizt View Post
graycyn, cat pouncing on it is exactly what I have to protect it from as well as throwing it in a backpack for travelling. I have 3 cats here and they love to sometimes jump off my ereaders. It's better than having books around though because one cat will chew on anything paper when it's hungry to get me to feed it. I have quite a few covers semi-chewed off of my books.
The Timbuk2 case *might* protect against a cat pounce, but I just don't want to chance it. One of my cats is 17 pounds, and that's a good bit of pressure for an e-ink screen.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #41
HardwareLust
HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook Color/Tablet, Kobo Aura HD/Mini, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
This is the Timbuk2 7in tablet sleeve I've got.
I got the exact same sleeve for $7 on Amazon. It is almost a perfect fit, and seems to be an excellent case in fit and protection.
HardwareLust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #42
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
The Timbuk2 case *might* protect against a cat pounce, but I just don't want to chance it. One of my cats is 17 pounds, and that's a good bit of pressure for an e-ink screen.
I used to have a Sony PRS-600 and just used the little nylon sleeve that it came with. The cats don't hardcore pounce on it, but they'll sometimes jump off it and they like to lie down on it. They're not 17 lb monsters either.

The Timbuk2 is 20-25 on Amazon for me, and the Frieq Bubble one Skydog got is only $15. I like the look of the Frieq one better too. I'm guessing it'll fit the Aura fine since it says it fits the Kindle Fire. I just wanted to wait to hear back from Skydog how it is before I order.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #43
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarizt View Post
I used to have a Sony PRS-600 and just used the little nylon sleeve that it came with. The cats don't hardcore pounce on it, but they'll sometimes jump off it and they like to lie down on it. They're not 17 lb monsters either.

The Timbuk2 is 20-25 on Amazon for me, and the Frieq Bubble one Skydog got is only $15. I like the look of the Frieq one better too. I'm guessing it'll fit the Aura fine since it says it fits the Kindle Fire. I just wanted to wait to hear back from Skydog how it is before I order.
PM sent.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #44
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Has anybody bought a Navitech cover from Amazon?
I just got my Navitech Aura case today. Much faster delivery than Amazon indicated (24 May - 9 June)!

This case IS NOT made specifically for the Aura, as it's a little too long in length top to bottom, and, as you can see from the pictures, one of the corner straps blocks the sleep/power slider button. Also, the case closure does not put the Aura to sleep automatically, like the Kobo Sleep cover does. In fairness to Navitech, they do not claim this functionality; I'm just putting it out there in case someone was wondering The flap closure is magnetic, and that's how the case cover is held in place when closed.

While it's not a perfect size fit for the Aura, and I have no intention of using the credit card slots on the left hand side, for $12.99 it's doable, but I'd prefer a case of similar form factor that was a better fit specific to the Aura, or a similar sized e-reader. The one thing it does a great job at is masking the "slippery plastic" problem of the bare Aura & Sleep cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG01.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	105599   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG02.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	105600   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG03.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	105601  
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #45
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
This case IS NOT made specifically for the Aura, as it's a little too long in length top to bottom, and, as you can see from the pictures, one of the corner straps blocks the sleep/power slider button.
Watch for any decreased battery life. Some sleep covers for the Glo would apparently keep the device from turning off/sleeping and battery drainage was immense.

EDIT: Another poster in the thread said this was NOT with sleep covers. He's probably right . I used a Kobo cover and never had the problem, so I didn't pay close attention to the issue.

Last edited by taming; 05-09-2013 at 07:29 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote