Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 04:00 AM   #1
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Bendy Phones and flexible e-ink screens

Saw this article on the BBC web site today. It's ostensibly about 'bendy' phones, but there's a lot in there about flexible e-ink screens as well. In case anybody's interested.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Thanks for sharing!!
I think it's safe to say that there is noone on this forum more interested in a rollable color eink reader than me - I want one so bad it hurts!!

My next kindle (it of course is lighted):

Also check out: Study brings us step closer to rollable, foldable e-devices

Last edited by xendula; 11-30-2012 at 11:00 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:19 AM   #3
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
While I can understand the technological breakthrough of a bendy phone or reader, I just don't understand the reason for its use ?
What would you need to spend your days bending a reader for, maybe to release your stress ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
It is the first step towards a foldable device. Imagine having a device the size of an iPhone that you can fold out to a 12" tablet. Finally you will have PDF in original size, no more scrolling or squinting.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
While I can understand the technological breakthrough of a bendy phone or reader, I just don't understand the reason for its use ?
What would you need to spend your days bending a reader for, maybe to release your stress ?
I broke screen of my previous ipod touch in backpockets of pants.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The most important aspect of it isn't so much the "bendiness", but the fact that a reader with such a screen, even if rigid, would be a lot more resilient to accidental breakage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The size when not in use would be small enough that you could always have it with you. You could have a phone that expands to the size of a tablet when needed. Or you could have phone built into a bracelet. Or an errader in a pen!

Of course, for now, manufacturers focus more on producing custom shapes (wrap-around screens) and making their devices less accident prone, like was mentioned higher above.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Thanks for sharing!!
I think it's safe to say that there is noone on this forum more interested in a rollable color eink reader than me
You'd be vying with me for that spot. I am one of the few outside of the companies making attempts at this that has actually held a real working foldable display device- albeit a b&W one. I played with a Readius a few years back when I met with the Polymer Vision folks at SID Display week in Seattle and kept an email conversation with them for at 5 years or so. I even have a Christmas card here with a picture of thousands of Readius devices produced before their financial troubles in 2009.

They had been rescued by Wistron but now the company is shutting down the PV division.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.ULuFjobpUuU
http://www.plusplasticelectronics.co...ion-69544.aspx

i still have hope that something will be spun out of the division as there was some talk about that early this year. their dream device (which they had made working prototypes of) is still mine as well

Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Sign me up!
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Rolled-up like parchments used to be in middle ages. That would be quite something if those really came on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Thanks for sharing!!
I think it's safe to say that there is noone on this forum more interested in a rollable color eink reader than me - I want one so bad it hurts!!
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The most important aspect of it isn't so much the "bendiness", but the fact that a reader with such a screen, even if rigid, would be a lot more resilient to accidental breakage.
This!

I take my T1 almost everywhere with me, but I am paranoid about the screen breaking. I would like a device that I can literally throw in my bookbag, which I can then toss around to my heart's content.
Or put it in my pocket and not worry about it [like my little slider phone]
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
xendula
eBookworm

OK, Dulin's Books, you win! I'll humbly take second place.

Last edited by xendula; 12-02-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #13
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
I remember first reading about this, as a possibility, decades ago. The thought was that this would be close enough to the form factor of a newspaper to replace newsprint. But, personally, my preferred newspaper form factor is now a 6 inch eInk device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For someone as clumsy as I am, definitely. But, somehow, I will find a way to do it in. Can one of these pups make it through a dishwasher cycle?
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
xendula
eBookworm

^ Same here. A decade ago I thought that was cool for newspaper sized epaper, now, I would never have the patience to deal with a reading surface that big any more.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #15
jarrahloh
Cageside Chronicles
jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kobo Touch, iPhone
I can't wait.
All media technology is limited due to the human eye.
This is the step to great solutions.

Just before HD hologram technology of course
jarrahloh is offline   Reply With Quote