Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #34531
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
150 (aprox) calories at breakfast, 180 at lunch, about 300 calories for dinner... Walked five kilometers and climbed 10 flights of stairs. Right about now, I think I would be happy to eat the couch...

Are there any calories in a dog's rawhide chew toy?

Stitchawl
[SILLYDOG'SADVICE]. Double it. All of it. Double the calories so ewe aren't tempted to eat the doggie and ewe keep ewer metabolism up without burning muscle. Double ewer walking and stairs and ewe'll burn even more. [/SILLYDOG'SADVICE]
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #34532
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
150 (aprox) calories at breakfast, 180 at lunch, about 300 calories for dinner... Walked five kilometers and climbed 10 flights of stairs. Right about now, I think I would be happy to eat the couch...

Are there any calories in a dog's rawhide chew toy?

Stitchawl
Dude. You should be taking in at least 1,200 calories a day. There is no way that that diet is getting you enough fruits and veggies, calcium, or protein. Don't tell me you take a multivitamin. Those are suppose to be back up in case you do not get the nutrients you need. You have already hit your goal. Eating like that is only going to slow down your metabolism and cause you to gain weight when you return to a normal diet.

Get a juicer and make your own fruit juice or veggie juice. Make fruit smoothies for a snack. There are healthy ways to eat and still loose weight.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #34533
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I have to agree with the crowd on this one, Stichawl. That's not enough calories to keep a man healthy. My suggestion is to eat a balanced diet, and for exercise, you could always opt-in to the Politics and Religion forum and join the folks there who are beating dead horses.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #34534
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Munching on some herb-licorice whilst waiting for 9pm to come. I'm working tonight and, with the crappy weather, had hoped that I had two hours of uninterrupted reading. Unfortunately just after I opened at 7 a young couple came in and took over 45 minutes to decide which wire they wanted for their lamp and how long it should be. The worst thing was that they were here on Saturday when my father helped them, after half an hour he sent them home to decide on the wire and length, which they clearly hadn't done.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #34535
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'm cursing the world of spiders! Again! I went out tonight to mow the lawn - and hit a bush with the mower - where a branch promptly dropped a spider web over my head. Luckily I always wear a broad brim hat - but I could see webbing in front of my glasses ...

Then .....

You guessed it ....

I felt the flutter of tiny feet ..... IN MY EAR!!!

That's going too far now! Really!

Luckily I stripped off my glove and was able to flip the little *&*()@* out of my ear without getting bitten!

Is there no end to this madness?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #34536
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I stomped a spider gratuitously last night. In your honor, of course. I passed him in the hall, and he wasn't doing me any harm. But he was one of the big ugly sort, not a teeny one. So I stomped him.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #34537
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I stomped a spider gratuitously last night. In your honor, of course. I passed him in the hall, and he wasn't doing me any harm. But he was one of the big ugly sort, not a teeny one. So I stomped him.
I seem to be a spider magnet ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #34538
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Stitch: Too few calories! You are going to make your goal, but you aren't doing your body any favors, and I fear you are going to blow back up as soon as you go back to eating normally. This ends your unsolicited advice for today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
[SILLYDOG'SADVICE]. Double it. All of it. Double the calories so ewe aren't tempted to eat the doggie and ewe keep ewer metabolism up without burning muscle. Double ewer walking and stairs and ewe'll burn even more. [/SILLYDOG'SADVICE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I have to agree with the crowd on this one, Stichawl. That's not enough calories to keep a man healthy. My suggestion is to eat a balanced diet, and for exercise, you could always opt-in to the Politics and Religion forum and join the folks there who are beating dead horses.
Thanks all for your advice. I do appreciate it. For the sake of brevity I have not written all that I've been doing to reach this point, and I've made jokes about wanting to eat more. The fact is, my 'mouth' wants to eat more, not my stomach. I want ice cream, pizza, french fries, tempura, Big Mac.... I want the flavors, not the food.

First, I have been working with a nutritionist. This isn't something that I thought of or planned out by myself. Although I've cut down drastically on the calorie consumption, I've NOT unbalanced what I've been eating, only eating a LOT less of it. I'm still getting the protein and carbs, tons of green veggies both raw and cooked, just very, very little fat. A small grilled chicken breast with a side of broccoli, and half a small baked potato is actually a healthy meal, but under 500 calories. Previously it would have been two or three grilled chicken breasts, broccoli with Hollandaise sauce, and sour cream on the baked potato. My metabolism has NOT gone into "Starvation Mode." It's working the way it's supposed to work, channeling the nutrients to where they are supposed to go.

Instead of burning muscle, I've actually enlarged my thighs by almost a full inch. I have been exercising every day. I'm not swinging a pick and shovel, just morning PT as I did in the military; push-ups, sit-ups, leg lifts, etc., then walking for several hours in the afternoon. I've quickly worked up to 50 push-ups (from 20 six weeks ago) and 100 sit-ups. That doesn't happen if one is burning away muscle.

I've now added steep hills into my walking tours, never take escalators or elevators any more, only stairs (I have to go down slowly because of my bad knees (no bouncing) but up is no longer a problem) My body is starting to feel young again. I can now walk at a steady pace up steep hills for 3-4 kilometers and not huff and puff. A 5-7k walk with a heavy camera bag (with extra lenses) over my shoulder causes no problems (except to my shoulder...)

It's working, guys. I'm getting trim and fit and I'm not endangering my health. I'm being checked and charted by a health professional (no, not some kid at the Gym who was hired to be their 'trainer' with no real training,) and am on track. There is no doubt that if I go back to eating the way that I had been, and stop the exercising that I'm doing that I would put the weight back on. That's pretty obvious. Instead, I'm re-learning how to eat. I'm including more time on my feet instead of in front of the computer, and I'm getting better and better every day. And speaking of which...
it's off to take a walk up the hill!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #34539
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Found a pic of Stitchy.

SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #34540
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Found a pic of Stitchy.

Nope. I'm shooting for this.....

Stitchawl
Old 09-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #34541
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
that guy is not real!
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:58 AM   #34542
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Dude. You should be taking in at least 1,200 calories a day.
And probably when I reach my new goal (82 kilo) I will increase my consumption closer to that level. But not now. Unfortunately, as I put on more muscle from the exercise, it is balancing out the weight lost from fat.

A pound of fat equals 3500 calories. To lose 1 pound a week you will need to burn 3500 more calories than you eat that week. Losing one pound of fat a week is a sensible goal, but it requires a reduction of 500 calories per day. You can do this by increasing your calorie-burning activity or by eating fewer calories -- or both. It is easier to achieve it with the combination of increased activity and eating less. This is what I have done, just to higher levels.

Walking at 3mph burns about 100 calories for a 200lb man. So if I walk 3mph for 30 hours I can burn 1000 calories. But if I eat 1200 calories per day, there aren't enough hours in the day to burn them off, much less to burn off what's stored as fat in my body. That's why so many people spend so many hours in health clubs doing little more than maintaining their status quo. So I cut back the 'amount' that I eat (but still eating balanced meals) and increased in the extreme the exercise I was getting. It works. I'm not starving myself to get thin. I understand body metabolism and how it reacts to lowered fuel input. I'm really not putting it into 'Starvation Mode.'

Stitchawl
Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 AM   #34543
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Sounds like you have it pegged, Stitchawl. Best of luck with your continued "youthifying".

I must say I'm feeling good these days - lost about 23 pounds now, an only 5 to go to hit my target. I'm losing a couple of pounds a week, which I am comfortable with. I'm not doing the exercise that you are though, which is bad . I walk up stairs, and park farther away from shops etc. than I need to so that I have to walk further, but it's not really enough. I'll get there, though...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #34544
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Sounds like you have it pegged, Stitchawl. Best of luck with your continued "youthifying".
While I'm confident that I will reach the weight that I'm aiming for, and I can already feel (and actually measure) the muscles toning up, I am NOT quite as certain of becoming 32 again... But today I got off the train one stop before I needed to just to add another kilometer to my planned walk, took off along the river until I reached the street that would take me steeply UP HILL for the next two kilometers, and didn't feel the need to stop and rest until I got to the top! The snapshot below is the street I climbed. Two kilometers to the top! And not a huff nor a puff when I got there. Just a soaking wet shirt and a REALLY dry mouth! And a few of shaky snapshots! Then walking along the side of the mountain for another three kilometers before turning downhill and walking the three K back to the nearest train station.

Quote:
I must say I'm feeling good these days - lost about 23 pounds now, an only 5 to go to hit my target. I'm losing a couple of pounds a week, which I am comfortable with. I'm not doing the exercise that you are though, which is bad . I walk up stairs, and park farther away from shops etc. than I need to so that I have to walk further, but it's not really enough. I'll get there, though...
All it takes is the discipline to do it. It sure sounds as if you've got it. Good luck!

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uphill.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	92711  
Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #34545
blackpuddingmunc
Occasional grown up
blackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Kobo Touch
if i had hair i'd be pulling it out right now as the wife is watching Dross...sorry Dallas
blackpuddingmunc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?