Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
elektronnij obrazovatelnij komplex

From wired UK, how russians are using the eDGe at school:

http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/arch...room-disruptor
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Very cool.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Taken from the article: "Connected wirelessly (and soon via 4G)" Why couldn't Entourage have done that?
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

they're using their own software on the eDGe
Old 02-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
they're using their own software on the eDGe

Where can I get a copy? And is it available in English? Wishful thinking.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
lorenzoens
ex se ens

Hmm...I don't think you can, at present.

If their experimentation will go on broad scale, then something may leak...
Old 02-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Qwill
Enthusiast
Qwill began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
The good thing is that means there are still software development ongoing; and potentially other players to join us.
Qwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
This is what I mentioned at the end of last year.

At least this time the new owner has the money and infrastructure to make it work.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
This quote from the article is less encouraging for the prospect of new development, "The first version of the device which we're currently using is a bit too expensive and has memory, disc-drives and all sorts of things we don't need," he says. "We're planning that our mark two will be a different design. It will essentially be a dumb terminal. All we really need is two active screens, a video camera and a microphone."
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
lorenzoens
ex se ens

yes, in the first experiment they give the device for free to the kids, but when things would go on a larger scale, then they will need cheaper devices than the edge. Seems understandable.
But at present, the experimentation is made with the edges
Old 02-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

I look forward to see what innovation may come out of this.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #12
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by glow View Post
This quote from the article is less encouraging for the prospect of new development, "The first version of the device which we're currently using is a bit too expensive and has memory, disc-drives and all sorts of things we don't need," he says. "We're planning that our mark two will be a different design. It will essentially be a dumb terminal. All we really need is two active screens, a video camera and a microphone."
I was going to quote that exact same passage, Glow. Looks like he wants to take the guts out of our beautiful machines. It does make sense, as Lorenzoens says, but seems sad to me. I still think the EE could/should have been marketed to professionals and booklovers!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #13
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Filark, the big problem was that neither the EE or PE were marketed. I only found out about the EE because I was fed up with my DX and went looking for a replacement.

Regarding the removal of parts of the internals - there isn't much that can be removed and still leave a working unit. In fact they might have to add rather than subtract.

Last edited by ivanjt; 03-02-2012 at 05:48 AM.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Filark, the big problem was that neither the EE or PE were marketed.
Isn't that the truth. I never even heard of the eDGe until last year. I was actually researching on Amazon for an e-reader for my son for school and I just happened to run into the Pocket eDGe. I was intrigued and the rest is history. I wonder how many other great products have fallen by the wayside because the companies didn't budget enough money to let people know about them.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
glow
Book and Gadget Fan

Turning the EE into a dumb shell is a sad thought.

Tags
educational, entourage edge