Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #16
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Reserved. Still don't know whether I'm going to list or link.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #17
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Reserved. Still don't know whether I'm going to list or link.
How about a simple list linked to a detailed list?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #18
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
So far for 2011:

Ayn Rand - Fountainhead
(a time machine book... I need to go find the title and author...)
Decision Points - George Bush
Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #19
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
Finished:

Once bitten by Stephen Leather. Enjoyable little vampire thriller
http://www.amazon.com/once-bitten/dp...=discounter-20

Now reading:
The Lazy Project Manager by Peter Taylor
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FEF6LA/?tag=discounter-20

Poor Charlie's Almanack (a beast of a book which is impossible to carry around)
http://www.amazon.com/Poor-Charlies-...=discounter-20
Old 01-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #20
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Post VANDY's Books Read in 2011

Hello, All.

What a wonderful Idea to have a book reading challenge for 2011. I'm certainly excited about participating and will use this post to keep track of the books I've read.

I am going to use Fastolfe's rating system as I believe it to be quite nice and graphically informative. The rating system is shown below.

= the book is a turd, avoid at all costs
= not sure what to make of it
= okay book
= good book, recommended
= great book, highly recommended
= reading in progress

Further, I am going to use a modification of wcherrybomb's method of detailing the books I've read.

On to the list...

Book #1
Rating:
Title: 1632
Author: Eric Flint
Pages: 504
Genre: Science Fiction
Review: Outstanding book! One of the best SciFi reads I've enjoyed in years. Mr. Flint is an excellent author and has a writing style that paints vivid mind pictures. I found myself drawn into the story and becoming one of the players. I highly recommend this book.

Book #2
Rating:
Title: 1633
Pages: 608
Review:

Book #3
Rating:
Title: Hero (The Cat Star Chronicles, Book 6)
Author: Cheryl Brooks
Pages: 365
Genre: Science Fiction Romance (Mature)
Review:

As I finish and / or start more books, I'll edit this post. Good reading to all!

Regards,
Old 01-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #21
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Well, I've never kept track of books I've read in any given year. This seems like a good time to start!

I've only got one finished, so far, and am working on another. I'll keep my list updated in the Excel file linked below (just 'cause it's easier than trying to find this particular post) - if that's okay.

Happy reading, everyone!

Marilyn
Old 01-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #22
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
Hello, All.

What a wonderful Idea to have a book reading challenge for 2011. I'm certainly excited about participating and will use this post to keep track of the books I've read.

I am going to use Fastolfe's rating system as I believe it to be quite nice and graphically informative. The rating system is shown below.

= the book is a turd, avoid at all costs
= not sure what to make of it
= okay book
= good book, recommended
= great book, highly recommended
= reading in progress

Further, I am going to use a modification of wcherrybomb's method of detailing the books I've read.

On to the list...

Book #1
Rating:
Title: 1632
Pages: 504
Review: Outstanding book! One of the best SciFi reads I've enjoyed in years. Mr. Flint is an excellent author and has a writing style that paints vivid mind pictures. I found myself drawn into the story and becoming one of the players. I highly recommend this book.

Book #2
Rating:
Title: 1633
Pages: 608
Review:

Book #3
Rating:
Title: Hero (The Cat Star Chronicles, Book 6)
Author: Cheryl Brooks
Pages: 365
Genre: Science Fiction Romance (Mature)
Review:

As I finish and / or start more books, I'll edit this post. Good reading to all!

Regards,
I'm loving Fastolfe's rating system, too. I hope you both don't mind, but I think I'll use it, too.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #23
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
1. The Key of the Keplian: Secrets of the Witch World by Andre Norton & Lyn McConchie
Length: 186 pages (ebook)
Genre: Fantasy
Summary: Eleeri is a 16 year old mixed Native American and White girl who lives with her dying grandfather, Far Traveler. Other than her grandfather, her only living relatives are her White aunt and uncle - who hate and abuse her for being Native American. Since Far Traveler is dying, Social Services plan to return her to the care of her aunt and uncle. Knowing this, Far Traveler has trained and prepared Eleeri as a true Native American Warrior. She is given knowledge, skills, unmarked gold and jewels, and a map. The map leads to a gate to the Witch World - and Eleeri's freedom. Once in Witch World, Eleeri learns to use her skills and newly found magic to find love and a place of her own.
Rating: 5/5 In all honestly, I am partial to Andre Norton and her Witch World series. I might not be an impartial judge, but I loved the story and would recommend it to anyone. For lovers of Andre Norton's Witch World, this book is a must read! I'd always wanted the "evil" keplians to be a good as they were beautiful.

Next in progress:
2. The Lion's Game by Nelson DeMille
Length: 923 pgs (pb)
Genre: Crime Thriller
Summary:
Rating:

3. Swords & Dark Magics: The New Sword and Sorcery edited by Lou Anders & Jonathan Strahan
Length: Unsure - Anthology with 16 stories (ebook)
Genre: Fantasy, Anthology
Summary:
Rating:
Old 01-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #24
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I'm loving Fastolfe's rating system, too. I hope you both don't mind, but I think I'll use it, too.
I'm thinking I agree....
Old 01-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #25
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Be my guest Glad to be of help.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please don't post here. We are still sorting things out and all that will happen is your posts will be in the wrong place possibly.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #27
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
My 2011 books

1. Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Finished January 1, 2011)
2. Matt Forbeck & Jeff Grubb - Ghosts of Ascalon (Guild Wars) (Finished January 4, 2011)
3. Douglas Adams - The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (In Progress)
Old 01-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #28
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Rather than list here the books I am currently reading, I have started a bookshself at goodreads which you are welcome to look at: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/4689852

I will use the Down Beat five-star method of rating my books. (5 - excellent, 4 - very good, 3 - good, 2 - fair, 1 - poor)

+++++

1....1/1....PG Wodehouse - Right Ho, Jeeves
5 stars
(Read 77% in 2010.) Complete silliness, for lovers of the English language. Laugh out loud funny.

+++++

2....1/2....Arthur J. Penty - Post-Industrialism
4 stars
(Read 76% in 2010.) 1922 analysis of the problems of industrialism and the author's belief that the solutions are to be found by returning to the culture of the Middle Ages.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #29
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Moderator Notice
This thread is being closed and put on hold. Please see this post.
Closed Thread