Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Overdrive's most downloaded ebooks (juvenile category)

Overdrive lists their most downloaded books each month.

http://search.overdrive.com/Most-Dow...s-Library.aspx

I thought the juvenile non-fiction list was very interesting.

1. Three Cups of Tea
2. Omnivore's Dilemma
3. 1001 Facts about Dinosaurs
4. The U.S. History Cookbook
etc.

The first two surprise me as being quite meaningful and a serious read.

Do you think we underestimate our children and the next generation will surprise us? Is there hope for us?

[The dinosaur book would have been my favorite ]
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

1. Three Cups of Tea
2. Omnivore's Dilemma
etc.

Do you think we underestimate our children and the next generation will surprise us? Is there hope for us?

I stopped being surprised some months ago. My 11 yr old niece and 9 yr old nephew and their parents paid me a visit one time. When I told them I was putting all my books up for sale on amazon, they asked if they could go through my library and pick out books for themselves. I told them to go ahead. When they left, they carried off with them a couple dozen of my books.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:

1. Three Cups of Tea
2. Omnivore's Dilemma
etc.

The problem with this is interpretation. These aren't necessarily books being checked out by juveniles, but books classified by Overdrive as juvenile books. It could easily be mainly adults checking these out. I know I check out a lot of books classified as juvies.

At the Philadelphia Library, Omnivore's Dilemma is classified as Health & Fitness, Nonfiction, Sociology which seems about right. It really isn't a juvie book.

Kids don't read today. The ones that do read, read a lot, but most don't. I work with kids and ask them daily about what their favorite things to do are. Very few mention reading. That would have been my #1 answer when I was a kid.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:22 AM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:

1. Three Cups of Tea
2. Omnivore's Dilemma
etc.

"Three Cups of Tea" is on some high school reading lists. Dunno about "Omnivore's Dilemma," but it wouldn't surprise me.

There are some great books on high school reading lists nowadays, much updated from when most of us on MR were in high school. Some of the classics still are on the lists, but the selections are much more diverse now, including authors who are still alive, lol.

If you want to check out such lists, B&N stores sometimes have tables of books so marked in the kids' / young readers' section.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote