Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #31
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
G'day James,
The wi-fi enabled Story hasn't made it into the shops here in Australia yet. The tech guy at the local distributor said it was coming out in September - well, time's almost up! - and that the updated firmware would probably be distributed at the same time. There's no sign of it yet on the www.iriver.com.au, though.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #32
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
G'day James,
G'day, Bran. Are you up early or late?
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #33
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, late. My clock's pretty screwed up these days. I tend to work or prowl till about 5 am, and then sleep till lunchtime.

(I'm very lucky I work from home - never in my life have I found it easy to keep a "real-world" routine, even when I was working IT and doing 15-hour days.)

So it's ... what? Early evening for you? About dinner time on Friday?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #34
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, Friday evening. I was just waiting for dinner to be nuked, and decided to check Mobileread.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #35
MacEachaidh
Browser

Well, an update on firmware updates for the English-language Story. And the update is ...

... bugger-all.

It's been more than a month since I posted a question on the iRiver blog asking for news on when the Story's firmware would be updated. There was a previous post on the blog promising that there was "more to come" in features on the Story, to be delivered in future versions of the firmware, so I felt it was reasonable to ask for a timeframe. But there's been no further news, no further updates, and no reply to my question.

It's been more than a month since I logged a similar enquiry with the support team of the iRiver distributor in my country. They promised to get back to me within a day or so. I'm still waiting.

And it's been more than a fortnight since I logged a similar request with the support e.mail at the "international" iRiver website. I've yet to receive any kind of response.

This is disappointing. I was courteous, and made it clear I was asking as an iRiver Story owner.

The Cover Story has already had the original version of the OS software and two separate updates since it was first released just a few months ago. Does anyone else agree that we can probably now consider the iRiver Story an orphan?

:frown:
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #36
aprendelo.de
aprendelo.de began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
Hi MacEachaidh,

i recently bought a heavily used iriver story (firmware 1.61, it had been used for 14 months as a try out device in a bookstore) It still works fine anyway. I'm still trying different formats and options. What i'm missing is the possibility to open .html files, a hypertext funktion and the ability to fill out forms. Maybe you've seen something. I'd like to publish my own ebooks as interactive stories. As a author and publisher, i'd like to explore the functions of the formats. I just installed calibre on my linux pc.
I'm wondering if there is something like googleanalytics for ebooks. Could it be possible to track every read page in a book?
Another thing: Here are my three versions of how Kubrick's match-cut between takes 106 and 107 in 2001 - A Space Odyssey should have been done:
http://www.frankfurtfair.de/books/retitled2.html
Bye
aprendelo.de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:43 PM   #37
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Well, an update on firmware updates for the English-language Story. And the update is ...

... bugger-all.

It's been more than a month since I posted a question on the iRiver blog asking for news on when the Story's firmware would be updated. There was a previous post on the blog promising that there was "more to come" in features on the Story, to be delivered in future versions of the firmware, so I felt it was reasonable to ask for a timeframe. But there's been no further news, no further updates, and no reply to my question.

It's been more than a month since I logged a similar enquiry with the support team of the iRiver distributor in my country. They promised to get back to me within a day or so. I'm still waiting.

And it's been more than a fortnight since I logged a similar request with the support e.mail at the "international" iRiver website. I've yet to receive any kind of response.

This is disappointing. I was courteous, and made it clear I was asking as an iRiver Story owner.

The Cover Story has already had the original version of the OS software and two separate updates since it was first released just a few months ago. Does anyone else agree that we can probably now consider the iRiver Story an orphan?

:frown:
Actually, iRiver hasn't made too many improvements in terms of usability in Cover Story, except that it's been optimized for the touch screen. So I don't wonder why they haven't thought about "fixing" the original, when they don't know there's something to fix.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #38
MacEachaidh
Browser

Quote:

Well, I've finally received a response. This is all iRiver had to say:

1.71 is the latest firmware version for your Iriver Story.
Most likely there will not be a newer firmware version available.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm not too impressed.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:13 AM   #39
James_Wilde
Guru

Boo!

But thanks for keeping on at them, Bran, so we finally got an answer.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #40
hernep
Enthusiast
hernep began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story, iPad 2
Oh, bugger! Comics in landscape would have been a killer feature which I suggested to them.

Their customer support is global. I sent email to german support. They told me to send it to some "Global iRiver" support. I thought it be the american one. It was not. Americans told me to send it to iRiver Germany. Also, the iRiver website american had as signature was flagged as malicious page by Google. Finally I send it to webmaster@iriver.com. Webmaster answered my email. I felt I was racing at the Dakar-rally, a famous off-road rally.

Then, this is ebook reader. It reads books. I will survive. Phew!

Last edited by hernep; 11-24-2010 at 03:24 PM.
hernep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #41
MacEachaidh
Browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernep View Post
Webmaster answered my email.
What did he/she have to say, hernep?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #42
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Did you guys see the mess they made on their firmware page?

Two days ago, they posted v1.10 for Cover Story. Supposedly this firmware is for everybody who owns a Cover Story. Say you downloaded it and installed it.

Today, you see this 'notice': The firmware is strictly for Sweden.

Waaahh! What have you done updating the firmware? Is there any damage done if I weren't Swedish? There's no explanation, no notes to say what's happened. Can you go back to previous firmware?

This is the kind of carelessness iRiver is often noted for. It happened previously with the old Story, where they couldn't even name the firmware correctly such that the Story could recognise it. Didn't fix it for weeks!

LOL.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:50 AM   #43
James_Wilde
Guru

Wonder what's special about Sweden.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:12 AM   #44
MacEachaidh
Browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Wonder what's special about Sweden.
You, of all people, have to ask?

Maybe some sort of special deal with the distributor there?

Anyway, I'm not about to replace my Story while it's still chugging along.
(Though the battery is looking worrying ... It's less than a week since its last full charge, and it's down to one bar already. I haven't done a lot of reading, but one thing I have done quite consistently is fall asleep and leave the thing to go into screensaver mode and then put itself to sleep. That seems to diminish the charge pretty rapidly, though I can't see why it should, if it really only uses power to actually rewrite the screen -- anyone else found this?)

(I've promised myself that the next one I buy will have a user-replaceable battery as part of its design.)
Old 11-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #45
James_Wilde
Guru

Quote:
You, of all people, have to ask?
Just wondered.
Quote:
anyone else found this?)
Yep. Leaving it on runs the battery down fast. No idea why.