Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2007, 03:27 PM   #1
kickaha
kickaha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500 / Palm Tungsten T5
For the linux users in the crowd

Hi all.

I am a Linux user (gentoo and ubuntu), and try to avoid windows for anything that cannot be done without it (quicken and turbo tax).

I guess I have to add the Sony Connect bookstore to that list.

I encapsulate my windows environment into a Vmware virtual machine, so I have better control over how it acts, and can leave it safely turned off most of the time.

I just wanted to let anyone who has been considering a Sony reader, but who is a non-windows user* like me, that the Connect software works perfectly well inside a virtual machine. I found that I had to restart vmware with the reader plugged in so it would show up in the list of usb devices so that I could attach it to the vm, but after that, I was able to browse the store, set up my account and authorized my reader, and purchase a few books. (It would be nice if there was a better selection of computer books, but then, I'm a nerd...)

I'm loving my reader, and now I'm looking forward to using it with 'real' books, as well as the raft of technical whitepapers I've converted over to carry with me.

* linux user, that is. I understand the Connect software can be run using Parallels under OS X, as well, but I havent' seen that.
kickaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I am a Windows user and I also use a virtual environment for all web browsing. I created one vm (virtual machine) just for Sony CONNECT. Never a problem.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
kickaha
kickaha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500 / Palm Tungsten T5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
Well, that's quite neat. I hadn't seen that. Thank you for the link.
kickaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
allen_hutchison
allen_hutchison began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 / Treo 680
I use connect inside parallels on a mac. So far haven't had any trouble.
allen_hutchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert