Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
K2i 2.5.3 no "justified" text ?!

I know that others are probably talking about this as a part of other threads, but I want to get a list together of number of people that use this forum, who also have 2.5.3 and are also finding it very annoying that the text is not justified on the screen when reading a book on their kindle... I feel like I'm reading a giant poem now rather than a book...

I'm rolling back my kindle to 2.5.2 and not turning on the wireless until they fix the problem.

So, yeah... anyone else finding the text alignment annoying now that they have 2.5.3 ?
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Are you saying it's now left justified with a ragged right edge?

Because if that's the case it would actually push me toward allowing my Kindle to update. I hate full justification.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Balerion
Connoisseur

yep, left justified only... the reason why its annoying is that there
are few enough words on the line of text
as it is, now without the full justification, it reads like
a poem because you can see that the first word(s)
on the next line could've fit on the line before
and it ends up reading like this reply does
Old 06-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
jdomingos76
Enthusiast
jdomingos76 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 and 3 Int
I also have that problem, some lines don't justify fully. The issue only happens in random lines, about one or two per page. Kindle 2 Int. 2.5.3.
jdomingos76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Balerion
Connoisseur

hang on... hang on... hang on... hang on... my really bad !!! I just checked some other books... its just the book that I happened to start reading today when my kindle updated... that's freakin weird... it must be in the xml coding from when it was converted or some such other reason coz there's definitely words that could fit on the previous lines, but are placed on the next lines, and changing the font size doesn't change a thing when I revert back to the original text size.... gonna have to recalibrate the book me thinks !!!

Last edited by Balerion; 06-23-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 04:58 AM   #6
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
what is justification?
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
Balerion
Connoisseur

Justification is when the text on each line is spread out so that it reaches the extremities of both the left and right margins. It is done by modifying the size of the spaces between words so that some are larger than others... annoying to some people, but to most people it helps with the flow of reading.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balerion View Post
I know that others are probably talking about this as a part of other threads, but I want to get a list together of number of people that use this forum, who also have 2.5.3 and are also finding it very annoying that the text is not justified on the screen when reading a book on their kindle... I feel like I'm reading a giant poem now rather than a book...
Actually, I have found the Kindle 2's forcing full-justification annoying; at least the original Kindle had a hidden means to change it.

Since I reformat all my books to use left-justification, I wouldn't see any such change in 2.5.3.

I like fully-justified text for printed material, but given my preferred font size/line length on the Kindle (and the lack of hyphenation), I prefer the ragged margins to the rivers of white space that I often see in justified text.

Really, though, this should be something that the user can change to suit their own preference. (Not to mention that the Kindle should support hyphenation.)
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:25 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I am reading a book that was justified, then I had the firmware update and now the same book is left justified. In some threads I've noticed a mention of Font List and that pressing J brings up a menu on justification. But Font List is perhaps not part of Kindle 2?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The justification option from the font menu is only on the K1, not the K2. I think they went backwards when they took away that option. It is so easy to allow, I can't imagine why they took it away.

Books are supposed to NOT specify justification, so that the device/software can determine it, but sometimes a book does specify left justification, which I dislike. It then overrides the user's preference, or the software default, as on Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Here's what has happened with 2.5.3. Prior to 2.3, justification was "full justify within reason" - it would try to justify, but if large words would cause only a few words on a line, it would NOT add a ridiculous amount of space between words to try and get it lined up on the right margin. This would only happen (on font size 3) about once every two pages - in other words, fairly rare. All other lines were full justified. With update 2.3, text was full justified at all costs. If there were some long words, you might get a line with only a few words and there would be TONS of space between them. Worst case scenario would be two words on a line, one on the left margin and one on the right (this happened in the user manual on the vary last page, right before a web address). I found these crazy spaces distracting. So I was very happy with update 2.5.3 that it went back to the way it had been prior to 2.3. MOST lines are fully justified, but there is a limit to how much space it will put between words. So once in a while you get a line that doesn't line up on the right side. I find this much less distracting than . . . . when . . . . there . . . . were . . . . huge . . . . spaces . . . . between . . . . words.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
So I was very happy with update 2.5.3 that it went back to the way it had been prior to 2.3. MOST lines are fully justified, but there is a limit to how much space it will put between words.
I was also glad to see that they reverted in 2.5. Fully-justified at all costs can look awful on the Kindle, especially given its lack of support for hyphenation.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote