Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
JinRoh
JinRoh began at the beginning.

Device: ¿Cybook / Hanlin / Sony?
Manga in Kindle 2

Hello. I am considering buying this reader... but I really need to know how weel manga can be read on it.

I mean, I read books but lately I read more manga than real books :P

How well does it work? Most manga files are plain jpg files...

Anyone tried them? If you didn't... if anyone could try some test mangas I would be very appreciated hehe

Thanks!
JinRoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Several months ago, out of curiosity I loaded a few manga pages pages on my K2. You can see the images in my test album here.

One of the issues was the all the white space around the margins made the pictures too small and type too hard to read. The Kindle has been upgraded a few times since then and now with PDF support maybe a properly cropped version would look much better.

I'm sure some who has real experience with manga on the Kindle will pop in. While waiting, if you have something you want me to test for you, I'd be happy to try.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
fiver
Enthusiast
fiver doesn't litterfiver doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I've tried manga on a kindle 2 and a kindle dx. By far and away, I prefer reading manga on a kindle DX - I find it much easier on my eyes. I can't read the really fine print on some manga panels on the kindle 2. Double panels really need a taller screen to look better.

However, it's so much easier on the eyes than it ever was on my computer screen so I can get through more manga volumes than I used to.

I high recommend it, but it is an expensive investment if you weren't considering a larger screen model for other reasons as well (textbooks, pdfs, etc...).

Michael
fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
JinRoh

I don't consider buying the DX, I can only buy the Kindle 2 (im from Spain)
Old 12-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I have the Tumor books and Elk's Run on a Kindle DX. These are graphic novels, so readability is probably similar to manga. The Tumor books were great, but the Elk's Run book was almost barily readable, and that was on the DX. I'm nearly certain that you would find the Kindle 2's screen is just too small (even with the latest software upgrade).

Edit: I just looked at Daffy's images, and those didn't look too bad.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
JinRoh

Well I'm thinking between Kindle and Sony 505, and I think they have the same screen, so manga readability would be just about the same right?

I'll probably end up buying the kindle, but I'd like to see how manga performs beforehand :P
Old 12-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I've tried it on the DX, it's pretty decent. However I really like the iPhone for reading comics too, it's pretty sweet. If that Apple tablet ever comes out it will be incredible for manga imo.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
I've tried it on the DX, it's pretty decent. However I really like the iPhone for reading comics too, it's pretty sweet. If that Apple tablet ever comes out it will be incredible for manga imo.
How does that work fugazied? Do you zoom in on sections, or are the comic made specifically for the iPhone? BTW, I'd love to have a tablet about the size of my Kindle DX.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
fiver
Enthusiast
fiver doesn't litterfiver doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinRoh View Post
Well I'm thinking between Kindle and Sony 505, and I think they have the same screen, so manga readability would be just about the same right?

I'll probably end up buying the kindle, but I'd like to see how manga performs beforehand :P
You can see a couple screenshots at that show how a typical manga image looks on the kindle, kindle2 and DX

There are a couple issues to know about. You can't really 'GOTO' a particular slide or manga page - this is really just an image slideshow. Also it still can take a second or two to go forward to the next slide - it helps if you press Next Page before you are done reading the current page. It seems like the kindle can preload the next image - which means it takes longer to go BACK to the previous page.

All in all though, I love being able to read manga on the kindle this way. It's great!

Michael
fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #10
JinRoh

Oh, you got the Kindle 2 michael? Could you take a picture of the kindle showing this image for example? (to see readability hehe) http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6170/20thcb018.jpg

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
JinRoh

Any other opinion? :P
Old 12-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #12
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I normally convert my manga into an LRF and read it on my PRS-505. It's actually quite readable to me.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
Dr. Wily
We Are In Control
Dr. Wily doesn't litterDr. Wily doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 International
I have tried putting some DeathNote on my Kindle, using the picture viewer to read it. It didn't look bad at all. M problem was getting it in the right order, plus the fact that it would take up a lot of space if the entire series were converted to a book format, I think. If someone would convert DN to Kindle format I would be quite thankful...
Dr. Wily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:11 AM   #14
Insomnic
Insomnic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
The best way to read Manga on the Kindle 2 is to use the Mangle program from Foosoft. It is specifically designed to convert images for best readability. It's been working great for me.
The site: http://foosoft.net/mangle/
Some other thoughts and images of content: http://www.insomnicdreams.com/2009/0...es-for-kindle/

I have run into a problem with firmware 2.3 and the photoviewer that makes images a little harder to use. Hopefully the bug report I've filed will correct the issue. With the 2.3 firmware update adding PDF support, combined with the Mangle conversion it has still been very workable to read manga on the kindle.
Insomnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:24 AM   #15
tehKitten
Enthusiast
tehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I say, PRS-505 with manga converted to LRF

It loads fast, and the screen is just perfect for manga
tehKitten is offline   Reply With Quote