Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
debbielovesbooks
debbielovesbooks began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
Thinking of purchasing a used PRS505

Hello! I am a little late to the party with my choice of a new ereading device. I really want a PRS505, but I am finding it almost impossible to find one brand new. Other than the obvious risks one always assumes when shopping on ebay, is there a compelling reason, in terms of funtionality, not to buy a used PRS505? Neither the new Sony Pocket nor the Sony Touch really sound like they will meet my needs as well as the PRS505.

Last edited by debbielovesbooks; 11-16-2009 at 10:25 AM.
debbielovesbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
It is a great piece of hardware on which I have spent many hours. If you live close to a Sony outlet store, give them a call to see if they have any in stock. For the current price of around 200, the 505 offers many more features than the 300.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
The only possible hassle would be if the current owner hasn't unregistered the device from his/her account at the Sony bookstore.

I just bought one brand new on e-bay and it came through just fine and is working wonderfully.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've had a 505 since Jan 08 and am very pleased with it and would not upgrade to a 300 or 600.

You might also check Target as some of those stores also carry the 505 and may still have some left around.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
lcbannon
Enthusiast
lcbannon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Love my 505 and do not wish to upgrade, given a choice of the 3, the 505 would still be the one for me.
lcbannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
AdamGott
Connoisseur
AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle/iPad
I have had battery issues.... my new one had a crummy battery and then I replaced it with a crummy eBay battery. Taking this little bugger apart to change the battery is way more complex than it needed to have been!

Otherwise I love the reader. If I turn it completely off every time when I am done using it I get a month or so between charges. If I don't I still get a week.
AdamGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
The local Fred Meyer in my small town still has new ones, silver only, for $219.99

Not as great as the $70 Target clearance price some people have gotten, but I'm betting a used one wouldn't be much less than that price on eBay.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
debbielovesbooks

Thank you all for your help. I am definitely going to track on of these down new!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
debbielovesbooks

Thank you all for your advice! I tracked down a floor model "behind the counter" at my local Sony Store for $162! I had set up a Calibre account in advance of the purchase and had 98 of my html books (converted from LIT for my ebookwise) converted into Epub, organized into collections and ready to go. All I had to do was charge it up and load it up.

I am very pleased with it. My old ebookwise has served me well, but buying in LIT is becoming harder, and going through the whole conversion process for every single book is a drag. I will miss the backlight, but that is easily solved by buying a cover with a built-in light. Also, I wish the pages turned more smoothly. However, they are very minor complaints compared to the many advantages. Again, thank you all.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:14 AM   #10
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Great! You'll love the 505. I've had mine since March and love it more and more with each book I read. I wasn't that impressed with the new models either.

Have fun!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:15 AM   #11
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
Glad you found a Sony 505 at a good price. Sam's Club is still loaded with them, at least here in Tucson. Last price I saw was $249.88. I'll check again next week.
Last month I bought an adorable used red Sony 505 on eBay that was only two months old. It runs great and I love the color. So very pretty.

You can use the free on-line converter for most formats for your Sony. Lib2Go works great.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Good find! I love my 505, but the 300 is also great. For me (a guy), the 300 fits nicely in my pants pocket, and is thicker than the 505 so it is sturdier. But the 505 is probably the best Sony device to date. I never used memory cards or the mp3 playback, so I'm loving the 300. Enjoy!!!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #13
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Congrats on the 505! I've had mine since Oct 2007, and I still love and adore it! In fact, I've bought another one that I'm keeping in reserve in case anything happens to my beloved 505, as I really am not interested in the 300 or 600. Found it at my local Sony Style Store.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #14
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Congrats on the 505! I've had mine since Oct 2007, and I still love and adore it! In fact, I've bought another one that I'm keeping in reserve in case anything happens to my beloved 505, .............

Sayhello
Ha ha. Me too. I thought I was being a bit self-indulgent buying a second unit but once I actually had it in my hands, I realized that it gives me great peace of mind to have a backup. I can now take my (old) Sony 505 out on the road and not worry if it gets damaged or lost.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #15
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Ha ha. Me too. I thought I was being a bit self-indulgent buying a second unit but once I actually had it in my hands, I realized that it gives me great peace of mind to have a backup. I can now take my (old) Sony 505 out on the road and not worry if it gets damaged or lost.
My feelings exactly!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote