Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A Self-Referential Story

Read it through, if you got a few spare minutes:

http://consc.net/misc/moser.html or here

The first couple of paragraphs:

Quote:
A story by David Moser...

This Is the Title of This Story, Which Is Also Found Several Times in the Story Itself

This is the first sentence of this story. This is the second sentence. This is the title of this story, which is also found several times in the story itself. This sentence is questioning the intrinsic value of the first two sentences. This sentence is to inform you, in case you haven't already realized it, that this is a self-referential story, that is, a story containing sentences that refer to their own structure and function. This is a sentence that provides an ending to the first paragraph.

This is the first sentence of a new paragraph in a self-referential story. This sentence is introducing you to the protagonist of the story, a young boy named Billy. This sentence is telling you that Billy is blond and blue-eyed and American and twelve years old and strangling his mother. This sentence comments on the awkward nature of the self- referential narrative form while recognizing the strange and playful detachment it affords the writer. As if illustrating the point made by the last sentence, this sentence reminds us, with no trace of facetiousness, that children are a precious gift from God and that the world is a better place when graced by the unique joys and delights they bring to it.

This sentence describes Billy's mother's bulging eyes and protruding tongue and makes reference to the unpleasant choking and gagging noises she's making. This sentence makes the observation that these are uncertain and difficult times, and that relationships, even seemingly deep-rooted and permanent ones, do have a tendency to break down.

Last edited by ahi; 08-14-2009 at 08:48 AM.
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unreadable - even without marginal page numbers .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unreadable - even without marginal page numbers .
Rewarding though, if you still manage to read it through.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
Rafardeon
Enthusiast
Rafardeon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Is it gone?
Rafardeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafardeon View Post
Is it gone?
It shouldn't be... but if the server is being uncooperative, try this link to Google's cache:

A Self-Referential Story
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I love this!

I'm reminded of these two Postmodernist writers, who both dealth in nothing less than the epistemological aspects of Language in their storytelling.

Gilbert Sorrentino
Claude Simon

Wonderful!

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-15-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:19 AM   #7
Mathlete
Enthusiast
Mathlete began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
This sentence is proud of how clever it is.

Last edited by Mathlete; 05-02-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Mathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:59 AM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
This was interesting! And as I read it, I could hear the story being read to me - that was sort of odd...

I'm not sure what to think about it yet, except I liked it. Thanks very much for the link, ahi.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
ahi
Wizard

Glad you liked it, Ea!

Is that a hint of anti-intellectualism, Mathlete?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Glad you liked it, Ea!

Is that a hint of anti-intellectualism, Mathlete?
Methinks you are right about Mathlete's post. That puts a funny spin to my experience of reading it, as it was not primarily an intellectual experience, more a sensory one of 'hearing' it read out loud. Not literally hearing it, but the sensation of hearing - if that makes sense

I would consider this a work of art, and my best experiences with art have not been especially intellectual. It's been more about the sensations, emotions, and ideas that you can experience if you try to still your mind for a bit. And after, you can think about it, too. I know very little theory, but this text seems to be about words as signs, and the use of signs and our reactions to signs.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I would consider this a work of art, and my best experiences with art have not been especially intellectual. It's been more about the sensations, emotions, and ideas that you can experience if you try to still your mind for a bit. And after, you can think about it, too. I know very little theory, but this text seems to be about words as signs, and the use of signs and our reactions to signs.
I agree. I know no theory at all, and art to me is purely sensations. All I can usually say is "hate", "like" or "love", and the Self-Referential Story, I loved!

Thank Ahi!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote