Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
KindleKid
Zealot
KindleKid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Making a TOC? Best Way For Mac?

I was curious to see if there was a way to make an easily editable and update-able eBook with a TOC on Mac? I was toying with the idea of having a todo list on my 505 so I'd have less clutter and just update the todo list and send it to my 505 via Calibre. I've been doing the todo list as an RTF and re-uploading it as its updated but I'd like a TOC so I can divide it by day. Here are the ways that I've considered:

1. Create the todo list in word w/TOC and convert to epub or other format.
Issue: Will a Word TOC be recognized?

2. Create in Acrobat w/TOC.
Issue: How do you make a TOC in PDF from a blank document. I can't seem to find the answers, google is NOT being my friend right now.

Any input would be appreciated.
KindleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Choice 1 would work and choice 2 would be ugly. If you use styles in your Word TOC then Calibre will recognize the TOC entries. If you make it LOOK like a TOC by changing the font of "Normal" text, then you will not get the smart stuff you're looking for. The MSWord manual covers making a TOC using things like the Header 1 style, and I use that sort of thing all the time.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
KindleKid
Zealot

Thanks! I just realized that Calibre doesn't seem to accept .doc's. I just converted the item to rtf and the TOC wouldn't work. Is there a way to convert it to something before it reaches Calibre? How do you do it?
Old 08-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Kindlekid--
Are you trying to convert doc files to rtf. Do you have a copy of MS Word? If so, you can open your doc file in word and save as rtf.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
KindleKid
Zealot

Hi,

No I'm trying to convert my doc with a TOC to a format that my 505 can read. Calibre doesn't seem to allow doc to lrf conversions. rtf did not give me a viable solution as it didn't preserve the TOC
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
KindleKid
Zealot

Is there a way to have the TOC auto detect on Calibre, just look out for bold text in an rtf file? Rather than the world chapter?
Old 08-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
KindleKid--Sorry don't have an answer for you, but I do know that Calibre is pretty powerful with those kinds of abilities. You might want to try posting your question in the Calibre forum--I bet someone there can give you lots of good pointers.

Hope you can get it figured out!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
KindleKid
Zealot

Just did! Thanks for the reply