Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #31
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have found that just searching at www.freading.com does not show all of the books available. For example, a search by title for the word buffalo returns only 4 results there, but a search at the library-specific Freading site ocls.freading.com returns 19 results.
Well, I suppose you'd know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
If you use Calibre you can get the Overdrive plugin. It will search through One Click for you too, if you set it up to do so. Thank you, jhowell! (the creator the of plugin)
Indeed. Thanks for the plugin, it's really the best way to handle any library ebook searches, ultimately!!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:18 AM   #32
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
These two are available from my local library, they both allow downloading epub books with ADE. There is some overlap with the Overdrive catalogue, but both have some books that are not available from Overdrive:

Wheelers (epub ebooks)

BorrowBox (epub ebooks, mp3 audiobooks)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2014, 02:42 AM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
These two are available from my local library, they both allow downloading epub books with ADE. There is some overlap with the Overdrive catalogue, but both have some books that are not available from Overdrive:

Wheelers (epub ebooks)

BorrowBox (epub ebooks, mp3 audiobooks)
Are both of those "down under" providers?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:24 AM   #34
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Are both of those "down under" providers?
Wheelers is based in New Zealand, BorrowBox is based in Australia. I don't know if they are available further afield though.

Edit: Actually I don't know where Wheelers is based, it looks like it is a part of http://www.eplatform.co which is international (Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, UK, US). Wheelers might just be the name of the New Zealand branch.

Last edited by GeoffR; 03-04-2014 at 03:43 AM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:39 AM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Wheelers is based in New Zealand, BorrowBox is based in Australia. I don't know if they are available further afield though.
I didn't have any luck finding them elsewhere.
Advert
Old 03-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

3M Cloud Library Adds eAudiobooks

Quote:
3M Library Systems announces the launch of the newest innovation to its 3M Cloud Library Digital Lending System—eAudiobooks. Debuting with 40,000 titles powered by Findaway World, a premier provider of digital audiobook technology and delivery, the 3M Cloud Library will have an extensive collection of high quality eAudio titles. 3M will detail the new offerings at the Public Library Association (PLA) 2014 Conference, March 11-15 in Indianapolis, Ind.

The addition of eAudiobooks to the 3M Cloud Library will be a seamless transition for both readers and librarians, with the existing apps updated and optimized to include discovery, checkout and listening capabilities. As always, patrons only need to register to use the 3M Cloud Library through their local library the first time they sign in. Every eAudio title will be compatible on all devices using 3M Cloud Library applications, users will not have to differentiate which formats work on which devices. Once the eAudiobook is checked out, users can immediately start listening. Also for the user’s benefit, eAudiobooks are automatically bookmarked across the Cloud and available across all devices.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #37
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
My library has recently gotten Zinio so I decided to try it. When I try to check out a magazine, it tells me I need to sign up for an account. I signed in with my Zinio logon - isn't that what I am supposed to use? I know I used the right password because I couldn't remember what it was and reset it. I reset it on Zinio's website and then logged onto Zinio on the tablet app so I know the password change was successful. What am I doing wrong?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #38
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
My library has recently gotten Zinio so I decided to try it. When I try to check out a magazine, it tells me I need to sign up for an account. I signed in with my Zinio logon - isn't that what I am supposed to use? I know I used the right password because I couldn't remember what it was and reset it. I reset it on Zinio's website and then logged onto Zinio on the tablet app so I know the password change was successful. What am I doing wrong?
I did this just last week for Zinio access for the Philadelphia Free Library. You need to sign up with the intermediary that delivers the content to your device. In the case of PFL, it was www.rbdigital.com, I assume it is the same for all libraries that have Zinio. I don't remember the exact sign up process, I think I had to enter my library card number and the pin number, and then my email address and a [new] password.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #39
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I did this just last week for Zinio access for the Philadelphia Free Library. You need to sign up with the intermediary that delivers the content to your device. In the case of PFL, it was www.rbdigital.com, I assume it is the same for all libraries that have Zinio. I don't remember the exact sign up process, I think I had to enter my library card number and the pin number, and then my email address and a [new] password.
Thanks. Now I think I screwed it up worse. I created an account using a different email and password than what I used for my regular Zinio account. So when I get to Zinio, it only shows me what I already bought, not what I just borrowed. Do I have to have a separate account? I want to use my tablet, not the web and I don't want to have to log in and out of different accounts. I have enough problems remembering user names and passwords as it is.

I am also using the Philly library but when I signed up with rbdigital they didn't ask my library card or pin. If I could figure out how I would try to sign up again.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #40
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Can anyone explain what an "eAudiobook" is, other than just an audio book. I read the release at the site and they explained how their audio books would be in the cloud for any device, but does " 'e' Audiobook" mean it also has the ebook with it?
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Can anyone explain what an "eAudiobook" is, other than just an audio book. I read the release at the site and they explained how their audio books would be in the cloud for any device, but does " 'e' Audiobook" mean it also has the ebook with it?
It's just an audiobook. You won't get an ebook with it. Quite a few libraries use the term to distinguish the downloadable audiobooks from the ones on CD and tape.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 03-13-2014 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #42
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Thanks. Now I think I screwed it up worse. I created an account using a different email and password than what I used for my regular Zinio account. So when I get to Zinio, it only shows me what I already bought, not what I just borrowed. Do I have to have a separate account? I want to use my tablet, not the web and I don't want to have to log in and out of different accounts. I have enough problems remembering user names and passwords as it is.

I am also using the Philly library but when I signed up with rbdigital they didn't ask my library card or pin. If I could figure out how I would try to sign up again.
You have to go to Zinio from the link your library provides you. For one of my libraries, that link is "http://www.rbdigital.com/kclswa/service/zinio/landing?" For Philly, that link is "http://www.rbdigital.com/freelibrary/service/zinio/landing?" Did you use that to create your account?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #43
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You have to go to Zinio from the link your library provides you. For one of my libraries, that link is "http://www.rbdigital.com/kclswa/service/zinio/landing?" For Philly, that link is "http://www.rbdigital.com/freelibrary/service/zinio/landing?" Did you use that to create your account?
I went to Zinio from the library web page and I guess since I was already signed into Zinio in that browser in my existing Zinio account, all I got was what I already own from Zinio. If the only way to get to it is from the library link, does that mean I can't use my Android app? Also, where do you find the link from your library after you have already checked out the magazine?

I just found the Zinio help at the library's website and I was supposed to use the same email for both. It really would have helped to have a link to that when they tell you to create an account. There's no info on how to change the email you used to sign up with thru the library. So I am screwed.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #44
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I just found the Zinio help at the library's website and I was supposed to use the same email for both. It really would have helped to have a link to that when they tell you to create an account. There's no info on how to change the email you used to sign up with thru the library. So I am screwed.
Why can't you just create a new account on the libraries RBDigital page using the same email as your Zinio account and leave the first one unused? At least when I go to my library's RB Digital page there are options to login with an existing account or create a new one. I'd think you could create a new/second account with your Zinio email address that would link to your Zinio account.

Of course that's just speculation. My account was initially created with the same email as my Zinio account and it's worked great.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Why can't you just create a new account on the libraries RBDigital page using the same email as your Zinio account and leave the first one unused? At least when I go to my library's RB Digital page there are options to login with an existing account or create a new one. I'd think you could create a new/second account with your Zinio email address that would link to your Zinio account.

Of course that's just speculation. My account was initially created with the same email as my Zinio account and it's worked great.
You can't. It wants your your library card number. Once you enter it, you get this message:

Barcode is already in use
Access Denied. Try again: Create New Account
Already have an account? Log in