Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Is Traditional Publishing a Choice? Not really.

This blog was linked in one of many places on the net talking about Hugh's report, and I think he makes a great point:

Is Traditional Publishing a Choice? Not really.
http://journal.michaelbunker.com/201...hoice-not.html

It is worth a read. IMO
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
That was a good read, thanks for the link. Of course the fact that I find many of this comments so easy to agree with helps make it enjoyable.

I particularly liked:
Quote:
With Indy publishing, failure is still glorious. You still write for the love of it. You still get to go through the process of seeing your work come to fruition. You still get to hold a copy of your book in you hands if you want to. And if you want to do it, you can do it all for as close to FREE as you want it to be. You can spend as much as you want, or virtually nothing at all. You don't think traditional authors pay for the privilege? Of course they do. Trad publishing is the new vanity press for most unknown authors. They pay in time AND money. And they go out and get work to pay the bills and they watch as months and years go by with very little real production or income, and in the end they never make it.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #3
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
I did small house press for a while only because it was at a time that you still had to have a publishing house if you wanted to do print and still be seen. But with digital taking over almost 100% (I no longer have anything in print at all, period) and the author being able to do it all themselves, or with varying degrees of help from others as necessary, it's really pointless to go with any form of traditional publishing. I mean, even the big boys of publishing are all going indie. So if they are, why should we even want to consider traditional publishing anymore? It just doesn't make sense.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote