Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 09-21-2004, 05:34 AM   #1
CMC
CMC began at the beginning.

Archos AV420 Screen Defect

I bought an AV420 (the 20GB baby). I exchanged 3 times at the retail shop (very helpful folks)!!! After recording for around 20mins at room temp, a patch (1.5 cm in diameter!) of moisture (with oil-like rings surrounding the patch) developes as the machine get heat up. It's located in the very middle of the LCD...very very disturbing. Same problem for all 3 I had. Talked to the agents and they first said it's acceptable (what!!!!) but then they changed the tone and said there are actually couple complains like this and waiting for Archos to react. Pls note if you guys plan to buy one.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:58 AM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Wow that stinks!

Sorry to hear about your negative experiences with the AV420. Please keep us informed about Archos' response!!
Advert
Old 09-21-2004, 08:21 AM   #3
CMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
Wow that stinks!

Sorry to hear about your negative experiences with the AV420. Please keep us informed about Archos' response!!

You bet! By the way do you know how I can post a photo here. I'm new here. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2004, 08:23 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hey CMC, you can use the attach function to attach a picture. Tell me if it works for you!
Old 09-21-2004, 08:39 AM   #5
CMC

There you go guys. Took this photo with my Clie TH55. Not very clear but I'm sure you guys can get the idea...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00162.JPG
Views:	780
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	378  
Advert
Old 09-21-2004, 08:44 AM   #6
CMC

Ok. Another photo with my T1. The patch retreated after 12 hours or so...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00715.JPG
Views:	663
Size:	520.9 KB
ID:	379  
Old 09-21-2004, 09:51 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

CMC, thanks for the photos. I posted about it on our frontpage.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:16 AM   #8
CMC

Thanks Alexander.

The patch developes faster if you put into the cradle (so I'm not using the cradle anymore). Seems to be related to preassure b/n the LCD and the body itself too, beside the heat. Always takes whole night for the patch to retreat. Hope other AV400 series users can have more inputs.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:58 PM   #9
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
Does the problem lessen with time or is it reccurring?
Old 09-22-2004, 03:25 AM   #10
CMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetguru
Does the problem lessen with time or is it reccurring?
Recurring. Basically the patch developes itself 20mins or so after recording, longer after playing. It gets larger over time as the unit heats up. After the machine is been turned off for around 12 to 20 hours (depends on how large the ptch gets) the patch disappears and the LCD looks completely normal again. And the patch comes back at the exact location next time when you start using the machine.

By the way it's been 3 days after the agents promised me to get some feedback from Archos but so far I've heard nothing.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:04 AM   #11
CMC

It's been a week. No news from the agents nor from Archos?! Completely mute... Hope they're not trying to "ease-away" ov er time...
Old 09-23-2004, 02:58 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

If you won't hear from them back in a couple of days, perhaps we should write them a more formal letter asking for support.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:01 AM   #13
CMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
If you won't hear from them back in a couple of days, perhaps we should write them a more formal letter asking for support.
You are right, Alexander. Pls see this thread from HardwareZone.com for more...

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showt...02&forumid=126
Old 09-23-2004, 03:41 AM   #14
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
It is sad to see such a promising device suffering from quality defects ;(
Old 09-23-2004, 03:45 AM   #15
CMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
It is sad to see such a promising device suffering from quality defects ;(
The worst thing is having a defect plus an invisible after sale support.