Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #61
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I have one, it's used as a supplement to my paper books.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #62
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Why?

Hmm, I have the Sony for epubs, Kindle for Kindle books, JBM for threads and texts plus I have another one cos like everyone knows backup is good. I just don't like to wade thru too many books, and not all ereaders have folder access!
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #63
forumshrew
forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Asus Transformer
Nook Original
Strictly for pleasure reading. Don't worry about not knowing the definition of a word or taking notes.

Asus Transformer - the big boy
For reading PDF's, dicitionary utilization, and note taking of reading material

Nook HD
Because it was too cheap not to buy.
Absolute great screen resolution for reading. Note taking and dictionary for reading material.

Funny, but I never surf the web, email, games, or watch videos, which I understand is the major use of tablets. Only read.
These are the devices I had been waiting for since my Neo Visor pda days.
forumshrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #64
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I have multiple devices and they all pretty much get used. One or two is always available for my house guests or co-workers to use. I vary which item I use by the conditions I'm reading in. If I'm traveling, I choose between which one will fit my needs and not get destroyed when I pack and go.

I tend to hoard my electronic gadgets, I figure as long as they work, I'll keep them.

I have to admit, sometimes I use my Sony PRS-505 just because the metal casing feels so darn good!

Last edited by mycurlylocks; 08-25-2013 at 12:31 PM.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #65
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
I have one. A kobo touch. Never felt the need for more :-) if I get any freebies from amazon I just run em thru calibre first
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #66
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I don't like being tied to one retailer.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #67
mvo
Connoisseur
mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: see signature
Well, I did have 5 e-ink e-readers and one point, but sold two of them to prove that I did not have an addiction problem

I buy my books from either Kobo or Amazon, depending which is cheaper. I know I could do the conversion thing, and have done so occasionally, but I do like my reading gadgets.

The Kindle Paperwhite is my favourite, the Kobo Aura is OK, but if Sony bring out a new reader with a front light I will be first in the queue.

I like the Samsung Galay Note 10.1 tablet for PDFs and books where there are either a lot of hyper-linked references or detailed images. The tablet is a work one, so if I had to give that back, I am not sure what I would do - maybe buy my own, or get a 7 or 8 inch tablet...
mvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #68
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
For a long time I bought one and sold the old one, but now that there is another reader in the house, I'm hanging on to old ones for sharing.

I use the T2 for most of my reading, with the iPad for color books, PDFs and magazines. The T1 is around for backup when the 350 or T1 battery is dead.

Sadly, can't use my beloved iPhone 3G to read anymore. Stupid iTunes overwrote the compatible ebook apps with versions that aren't backwards compatible with iOS 4. I dislike the latest iPhone designs, so I'm hoping the iPhone 5C is a reality.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I don't like being tied to one retailer.
No reading device "ties you to one retailer", to the best of my knowledge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:48 AM   #70
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unless you are good friends with the Apprentice and familiar with Calibre I'd say that a Kindle pretty much ties you to Amazon. Personally I don't have a problem with it, I went in with open eyes, but I can see how people reason like that.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Unless you are good friends with the Apprentice and familiar with Calibre I'd say that a Kindle pretty much ties you to Amazon. Personally I don't have a problem with it, I went in with open eyes, but I can see how people reason like that.
Not at all. There are numerous sources of Mobi-format books other than Amazon. Eg, I buy a lot of books from Baen in Mobi format.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-26-2013 at 05:52 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #72
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I only have a K3. I own a Sony PRS-350 but it's really for my son to use.
I would consider a lighted reader at some point to keep by the bedside, and keep my K3 for travel and outdoor use, but I have not found a lighted reader that compels me yet.

Harry is correct that no major reader ties you exclusively to any one retailer, but many of them them do provide a highly optimized umbilical to one.

In any case, like many here, I can obtain ebooks from any sources I've ever cared to obtain from, in any format I care to use, with equal ease, so that's not a factor.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #73
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
I only have one a prs-350. I do have a small Samsung tablet but I don't consider that an ereader, its used solely for mobile web browsing. My girlfriend also has a reader a prs 650.

As for those that have more than not just one, but 4 or 5 or 10(not that there is anything wrong with it) I think its a mixture of many things.....impulse buying, addiction to ereaders/tech, feeling the need to have to upgrade with each need edition, and just plain like buying new stuff. I mean I know many try to rationalize why they need 10 ereaders, but really do you really need 10?lol Probably not but to each their own. Heck I probably...no I don't even need one. I could happily go back to paper books if my 350 broke. Buts its the novelty of the ereader that I enjoy. But it is definitely not a necessity.

Now I may get another eventually. My 350 is two years old now. But unless I catch a really good deal... (like the staples $30 off coupon and an additional $5 that people were using to get THE nook simple touch for 1.50 that I missed out on ).....I can wait. Afterall I have had buying addictions of my own over the years and I pretty much have learned my lesson.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #74
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Since I don't want to strip DRM (laziness, mainly) I'm tied by default. But I like to be frugal and that means I want to take advantage of coupons or "cheapest deal here." And I don't want extra work because of saving that dime. Ergo. I don't want to be tied to one retailer.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #75
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Not at all. There are numerous sources of Mobi-format books other than Amazon. Eg, I buy a lot of books from Baen in Mobi format.
I do buy from publishers more and more often. They have some good deals and sometimes you can buy the ARCs. This is something I have done a couple of times for a "must-have" series. I don't do it often, but yes, most of them have .mobi. And no DRM when you buy direct.